Reload this Page >

AA/US merger implications for SFO

Old Dec 4, 13, 6:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP

Does anyone have any inside information on how the AA/US merger will impact operations and gates at SFO? Specifically, does anyone know if the combined airline will operate out of T2 or T1?
Old Dec 4, 13, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
Does anyone have any inside information on how the AA/US merger will impact operations and gates at SFO? Specifically, does anyone know if the combined airline will operate out of T2 or T1?
I have no inside information, but according to this blog post from February 2013, the plan was to roll US into T2:

A spokesman at SFO told the BAT that based on current usage at Terminal 2 by American and Virgin America, flights to cities currently served by US Airways could be folded into American’s operations there.
I'm not sure that any of the three airlines (AA, US, VX) has added flights since then - maybe VX shuffled destinations - so maybe that's still the plan.

Isn't AA eventually supposed to change terminals again? Was it T1?
Old Dec 5, 13, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, AA LT Pt (2.9 MM), UA Au (meaningless), HH Au, Wyndham Pt
The combined entity will operate out of T2 for the foreseeable future.

Eventually, AA is slated to move into T1 after it is renovated. The renovation has been approved but hasn't begun yet. In July 2013, the airport commission approved the T1 redevelopment plan, which is scheduled (currently) for completion in 2023.

As this is San Francisco, it's reasonable to expect some delays beyond the target completion date. In fact, initial phases scheduled to begin this summer haven't quite started.
Old Dec 6, 13, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
What does US have out of SFO? Best I recall, about 4x per day to Philly, Phoenix and Charlotte, and a couple of flights to Pittsburgh. Doesn't seem like it'd be hard to fold that into AA's operations at SFO.
Old Dec 6, 13, 8:46 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
What does US have out of SFO? Best I recall, about 4x per day to Philly, Phoenix and Charlotte, and a couple of flights to Pittsburgh. Doesn't seem like it'd be hard to fold that into AA's operations at SFO.
You're mostly correct with the 4x each to PHX, PHL, and CLT. No flights to PIT. I just didn't know if they even had the extra gates for that in T2. Others elsewhere have also responded that T2 seems likely for now.

Having the lounge in T2 also helps make the case. I would have just been a little sad if they moved to T1.
Old Dec 6, 13, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
You're mostly correct with the 4x each to PHX, PHL, and CLT. No flights to PIT. I just didn't know if they even had the extra gates for that in T2. Others elsewhere have also responded that T2 seems likely for now.

Having the lounge in T2 also helps make the case. I would have just been a little sad if they moved to T1.
I would imagine they'll end up in the part of T1 where the windows will be at tarmac level eventually if they don't tear the thing down.
Old Dec 7, 13, 2:46 pm

T2 is really nice, plus there's the new Admirals lounge. I would think the combined AA would really want to stay there. Much of the US service out of SFO is for connections, so some of that traffic can be diverted to AA's flights to DFW and ORD. I wonder if they'll keep 4x/day service to CLT.
Old Dec 10, 13, 2:48 pm

I would think there would be space in T2 for the US flights — it doesn't appear to be operating anywhere near capacity. (I think one of the gates is currently leased out to VX though?)

Given the quality of the facility and Admirals Club, it's just inconceivable to me that AA would move to the B concourse before the T1 renovation...
Old Dec 11, 13, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
The US flyers should be jumping for joy to get out of the pit that is pre-reno T1.
Old Dec 11, 13, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
The US flyers should be jumping for joy to get out of the pit that is pre-reno T1.
Indeed. It's always been dumpy, but that's even more noticeable now after the renovations in T2 and T3. Feels like a Greyhound station.
Old Dec 11, 13, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. It's always been dumpy, but that's even more noticeable now after the renovations in T2 and T3. Feels like a Greyhound station.
Part of that is the WN effect
Old Dec 11, 13, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Indeed! T1 used to be a terrible terminal but a relatively civilized experience given the reasonable number of pax flying AS, US and CO. WN is pushing everything in that terminal to the limit and has made it a terrible experience all around. Even the AS Board Room is more crowded (not that I haven't used it when on a WN itinerary).
Old Dec 11, 13, 6:31 pm

But to give WN credit where due, their new section of T2 at OAK is very nice.
Old Dec 11, 13, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But to give WN credit where due, their new section of T2 at OAK is very nice.
Lots of good for me, when I fly AS out of OAK (the remaining "eh" side) or AS out of SFO (formerly a tranquil "eh" now turned into a poopoodoodookakahole).
Old Dec 12, 13, 9:55 am

Lots of good for me, when I fly AS out of OAK (the remaining "eh" side) or AS out of SFO (formerly a tranquil "eh" now turned into a poopoodoodookakahole).
T1 and the old part of T2 at OAK are indeed eh.

Search this Thread