Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Where will the AMEX Centurion lounge be located?

Where will the AMEX Centurion lounge be located?

Old Sep 10, 14, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
I haven't been to SFO yet but can you access T3 from T2? I usually fly AA
No. Admirals Club in 2 is quite nice though.
Old Sep 11, 14, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
I haven't been to SFO yet but can you access T3 from T2? I usually fly AA
No but a DFW lounge agent tells me AmEx will be funding an airside connector to allow folks in T2 to visit the lounge. No sure how it will be pulled off.
Old Sep 14, 14, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by WChou View Post
No but a DFW lounge agent tells me AmEx will be funding an airside connector to allow folks in T2 to visit the lounge. No sure how it will be pulled off.
My guess is that this lounge agent is mistaken. An airside bridge or tunnel between T2 and T3 would be hugely expensive -- maybe more expensive than the lounge itself.
Old Sep 19, 14, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
Originally Posted by dhuey View Post
My guess is that this lounge agent is mistaken. An airside bridge or tunnel between T2 and T3 would be hugely expensive -- maybe more expensive than the lounge itself.
What if they had a shuttle between T2 and T3, like they have between T1 and T3?
Old Sep 19, 14, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller View Post
What if they had a shuttle between T2 and T3, like they have between T1 and T3?
I believe there is no longer a shuttle between T1 and T3 since UA consolidated CO's operations with their own in T3.

A shuttle between T2 and T3 seems doable, but it would have to run pretty frequently to be useful for someone who wants to make a roundtrip to/from T3 just for the lounge. That would be a substantial expense. Maybe Amex will do it, but I'm skeptical.
Old Sep 20, 14, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I believe there is no longer a shuttle between T1 and T3 since UA consolidated CO's operations with their own in T3.

A shuttle between T2 and T3 seems doable, but it would have to run pretty frequently to be useful for someone who wants to make a roundtrip to/from T3 just for the lounge. That would be a substantial expense. Maybe Amex will do it, but I'm skeptical.
The logistics of it don't make any sense, especially in an airport that will allow you airside in any terminal with a same day BP for any other terminal.
With precheck, a visit between 2 and 3 would involve a very short walk, and 2 quick security lines (to visit 3, and then to depart from 2).
Old Oct 30, 14, 11:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Via One Mile at a Time the lounge will open Nov. 6 based on employee memos. Ribbon cutting at 9:30 AM. I'll be there. Anyone else going?

I've done mileage and mattress runs before but this is my first lounge run!
Old Oct 30, 14, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
Via One Mile at a Time the lounge will open Nov. 6 based on employee memos. Ribbon cutting at 9:30 AM. I'll be there. Anyone else going?

I've done mileage and mattress runs before but this is my first lounge run!
Darn -- I'll be there on Monday, just a few days too early.
Old Nov 6, 14, 9:42 am

Just got an email -- the SFO Centurion Lounge opened for the first time this morning. Photos looks very nice.
Old Nov 6, 14, 10:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
And they're open!

Live from lounge. As nice as the others.
Old Nov 6, 14, 10:50 am

I don't really know why I like nice airport lounges so much. There are usually nice restaurants and bars available in the terminal, and it wouldn't cost that much to have comparable food & drink in them.

But there's just something special about these lounges, and this SFO Centurion Lounge sure looks great.
Old Nov 6, 14, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by WChou View Post
I had also heard from a DFW lounge agent that a connector would be built, but not about Amex funding it, which sounds crazy, as does a shuttle just for lounge access. She said that "they" (I assume Centurion staff) had received an email about it.

A connector makes sense for other reasons, but funded by the airport. I have been unable to find any confirmatory information, though.
Old Nov 6, 14, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by fanger View Post
I had also heard from a DFW lounge agent that a connector would be built, but not about Amex funding it, which sounds crazy, as does a shuttle just for lounge access. She said that "they" (I assume Centurion staff) had received an email about it.

A connector makes sense for other reasons, but funded by the airport. I have been unable to find any confirmatory information, though.
I haven't heard anything about additional airside connections at SFO. I would think a T1 to International-A connection would make the most sense of the possible links to add. This would allow lots of domestic-international passengers to stay airside on their outbounds. Then add T2 to T1, so American passengers can connect to I-A airside. American/British Airways combos are common.

T2 to T3 would seem like the lowest priority. T2 is only Virgin America and American. Not many passengers are connecting from T2 to T3 (United) or International-G (mostly Star Alliance).
Old Nov 6, 14, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I haven't heard anything about additional airside connections at SFO. I would think a T1 to International-A connection would make the most sense of the possible links to add. This would allow lots of domestic-international passengers to stay airside on their outbounds. Then add T2 to T1, so American passengers can connect to I-A airside. American/British Airways combos are common.

T2 to T3 would seem like the lowest priority. T2 is only Virgin America and American. Not many passengers are connecting from T2 to T3 (United) or International-G (mostly Star Alliance).
You are probably right about the priority; I only meant to point out that it is in principle better for maximum airside connectivity for passenger connections, amenity sharing and load balancing, and assuming the appropriate security cut-offs are in place in case of checkpoint breaches. The only good reason not to is due to additional expense, even at the initial design phase of a terminal. For the many people who don't have precheck, running from terminal 1 to terminal 3 on foot will often be faster than clearing security after taking airtrain.

Granted, inter-airline non-alliance connections aren't that common, but they're not at all rare either. I not infrequently see tearful families trying to connect from WN to AA or VX, or some other airline to UA, having hopes dashed by 15-20 min security waits.
Old Nov 6, 14, 5:09 pm

From Travel Skills:

"Whatís interesting here is that US Airways, which is merging with American Airlines, is NOT moving into Americanís gates in Terminal 2 as we had expected. While that may sound a little messy, it wonít be too bad. Thatís because the airport is now building a new post-security corridor that will connect Boarding Area C with Terminal 2. Opening this December, the new corridor should ease transfers between American and US Airways flights. This is big boost for Delta flyers cooling their heels in the somewhat drab Boarding Area CĖ they will now have access to all the excellent amenities of T2 that lie behind security."

Are they on track to open this in December? (only connects part of T1 post security to T2 though)

http://travelskills.com/2014/02/03/whats-next-sfo/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: