Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Where will the AMEX Centurion lounge be located?

Where will the AMEX Centurion lounge be located?

Old Feb 3, 14, 4:50 pm
  #16  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,036
DFW staff tells me the SFO lounge will be built past security airside.
SFOPhD is offline  
Old Feb 3, 14, 6:56 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,086
If that's the case, UA should contribute towards the cost of the lounge, as practically speaking only those flying UA will be able to utilize the lounge.



Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
DFW staff tells me the SFO lounge will be built past security airside.
BigFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 3, 14, 7:41 pm
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 31,389
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
If that's the case, UA should contribute towards the cost of the lounge, as practically speaking only those flying UA will be able to utilize the lounge.
Why? (1) Anyone flying out of the G gates can still access it, and it isn't (potentially) a horribly long walk, and (2) more importantly, perhaps if it provides some real competition and people defect from their crappy No Carpet Club experience, the SFO NCCs may have to up their game a bit.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Feb 3, 14, 7:51 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,086
I assume from what you are saying there is an airside connection between the G International gates and and the UA domestic terminal. If so, that still primarily benefits UA and Star alliance passengers, as the UA and Star Alliance international flights are out of the G gates. I know that the Skyteam carriers (Delta, KLM, AF) all go out of the A international gates, as does Emirates. I get there might be some non-Star Alliance airlines out of G, but I would guess that 90% of the total passengers with Airside access are on UA or other Star Alliance flights.

I don't think UA would care if people quit their own lounge because of the Centurion lounge. I suspect the number would be small, given the fact that there is not yet an extensive network of Centurion lounges in other airports. But, more importantly, I can see that some folks will switch particular flights to UA in order to use the Centurion Lounge, yielding UA a net increase in passengers.




Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Why? (1) Anyone flying out of the G gates can still access it, and it isn't (potentially) a horribly long walk, and (2) more importantly, perhaps if it provides some real competition and people defect from their crappy No Carpet Club experience, the SFO NCCs may have to up their game a bit.
BigFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 3, 14, 11:22 pm
  #20  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 45,528
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
I know that the Skyteam carriers (Delta, KLM, AF) all go out of the A international gates, as does Emirates.
It's a pretty significant walk from T1 or International-A to T3. I'm sure some cardholders would make the journey if the lounge were landside in T3, but I think more than that number of passengers connecting within T3/International-G would skip the lounge if they had to go landside.
dhuey is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 11:48 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 78
I asked the agent working the Centurion lounge in LAS yesterday where it would be in SFO. Her response: "In the new terminal" Hope that means E. Will investigate onsite this afternoon.
cardinal98 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 5:47 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by cardinal98 View Post
I asked the agent working the Centurion lounge in LAS yesterday where it would be in SFO. Her response: "In the new terminal" Hope that means E. Will investigate onsite this afternoon.
Walked T3E -- no obvious place near the gates where it might be located. The earlier suggestion of by gate 74 seems probably, but the signs there indicate it's construction for adding security lines.
cardinal98 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 14, 6:23 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,086
I'm not familiar with the layout there, but perhaps they need to move some security lines to accommodate the club - e.g., to enable it to be landside.


Originally Posted by cardinal98 View Post
Walked T3E -- no obvious place near the gates where it might be located. The earlier suggestion of by gate 74 seems probably, but the signs there indicate it's construction for adding security lines.
BigFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 10, 14, 11:49 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,086
Copy of the Lease Online

The lease is public record, and is posted here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/206140817/...al-Airport-SFO

I am not that familiar with the terminal, but there are diagrams of the location on pages 53-54 of the PDF.
BigFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 11, 14, 11:29 am
  #25  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 45,528
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
The lease is public record, and is posted here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/206140817/...al-Airport-SFO

I am not that familiar with the terminal, but there are diagrams of the location on pages 53-54 of the PDF.
Thanks. Sure looks airside to me. The entrance is at the top, which I think is facing the low 70's gates in T3F.
dhuey is offline  
Old Sep 5, 14, 1:40 pm
  #26  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 2,957
Based on Exhibit D of the lease, I speculated in another thread that the lounge may be airside. I know the lease was discussed in this thread, but I didn't see anyone mention Exhibit D.

To me, the diagrams in Exhibit A are not very clear as to whether the entrance is airside or landside, but I could be missing something obvious.
nnn is online now  
Old Sep 5, 14, 1:45 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,823
Originally Posted by cardinal98 View Post
Walked T3E -- no obvious place near the gates where it might be located. The earlier suggestion of by gate 74 seems probably, but the signs there indicate it's construction for adding security lines.
Signs - on the construction directly to the right of elite security as you are going land side to air side - now say Centurion Lounge is coming soon.

Still not evident whether entrance will be land or air side, I certainly hope air side.

Looking forward to it.
LarkSFO is offline  
Old Sep 7, 14, 4:16 pm
  #28  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 45,528
Originally Posted by LarkSFO View Post
Signs - on the construction directly to the right of elite security as you are going land side to air side - now say Centurion Lounge is coming soon.

Still not evident whether entrance will be land or air side, I certainly hope air side.

Looking forward to it.
Yep. Look right and up. Can't see much at this point. My guess is airside.

Funny thing for me is that while I also look forward to the opening, I probably won't spend much time in that lounge. For domestic flights, I show up at SFO with little time to spare. I go right to the gate. Domestically, I care more about other airports' lounges than my hometown ones.

For international flights, I'm a typical FTer in that I play the mileage games to get into premium cabins, which includes lounge access. The Centurion Lounge will probably be a lot better than UA Club and the SQ lounge in International-G. Still, that's a marginal step up for me.

I think that the SFO lounge will be most beneficial for Amex Cent/Plat cardholders who are connecting to destinations in Asia, Hawaii, and the west coast of the USA.
dhuey is offline  
Old Sep 10, 14, 6:45 am
  #29  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 45,528
I just walked past the lounge site (b/t gates 74 &75 in T3F). Looks like at least a month to go of construction. It looks to me that the entrance/exit will be airside. There is a temporary cut-out door facing the gates.
dhuey is offline  
Old Sep 10, 14, 1:52 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: AA DL
Posts: 46
I haven't been to SFO yet but can you access T3 from T2? I usually fly AA
Jcrew is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: