Reload this Page >

Find me 4 dinners in SF :)

Old Sep 21, 13, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold

Hi all. Heading to San Francisco for a conference for the first time in a number of years.

I want to make the most of my dining time while there, so I am seeking recommendations for my evening meals.

I know I want Peking Duck once while there. Probably some sushi for another. And more traditional dining for a third.

Things don't have to be super fancy or have Michelin stars or anything. Just looking for tasty food.

All help welcomed!

thanks, dergon
Old Sep 21, 13, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
"traditional dining"?

white tablecloth? Diner type? "American" cuisine?
Price point? Any info would be helpful.

Off the top of my head for fin/unique dining

Rich Table

State Bird Provisions (closed till October)
Old Sep 21, 13, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't have any preconceptions. "Fine Dining" is certainly not a requirement, but it's not deterrent either.

I'm totally willing to let people name their favorite places at me (be they based on food quality, the "experience" or what have you) and give a little sentence.

As for price point - I love a good dive where I feel like I got a great deal. I suppose one meal at $100 or +/person would be workable but I tend to stay in the entree at $25-35 range comfortably.

I'll look at your recommendations now --- We'll be heading mid-october btw.

I love a good duck (especially Peking as above), Sushi, a nice steak au poivre, a good hot vindaloo. I drink beer or a vodka martini mostly so I odn't worry about a wine list. I prefer eating at at the bar to at a white tableclothe.

thanks!

Last edited by dergon darkhelm; Sep 21, 13 at 3:20 pm
Old Sep 21, 13, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh... I like a good Oyster house too !
Old Sep 21, 13, 9:12 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Try Hog Island Oyster Bar in the Ferry Building.

Peking duck, can't say I know of a standout place in SF.

Traditional would be Zuni or Boulevard.

Sushi, take the ferry to Sausalito and go to Sushi Ran.
Old Sep 21, 13, 10:01 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
What’s Doing in San Francisco might be helpful but the summary of the restaurant section might be Brandy Ho's, my favorite Chinese restaurant anywhere, and 25 Lusk.
Old Sep 22, 13, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm View Post
I'm totally willing to let people name their favorite places at me (be they based on food quality, the "experience" or what have you) and give a little sentence.
Burma Superstar

Burmese cooking is a fusion of the best of Indian, Thai and Chinese cuisines, though none of the dishes will be familiar. The Tea Leaf Salad is not to be missed.
Old Sep 23, 13, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Burma Superstar

Burmese cooking is a fusion of the best of Indian, Thai and Chinese cuisines, though none of the dishes will be familiar. The Tea Leaf Salad is not to be missed.
I've never been to Burma Superstar but I do know that they recently suffered an e-coli outbreak. Mandalay Restaurant on California is a good alternative with a very nice tea leaf salad.

For sushi, I love Sebo in Hayes Valley and Ino in Japan Town.
Old Sep 23, 13, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sonomawine View Post
Try Hog Island Oyster Bar in the Ferry Building.

Peking duck, can't say I know of a standout place in SF.

Traditional would be Zuni or Boulevard.

Sushi, take the ferry to Sausalito and go to Sushi Ran.
I'd second Zuni, which I prefer to Boulevard (both are very good). I don't know of anyone who comes to SF for Peking Duck, but then I don't know everyone. Zuni has a small bar area, and is known for interesting drinks.

Note that many California restaurants (even higher end ones) only have a beer/wine, and not a full, liquor license.

Barbacco is a great place to have a meal at a bar - note that it is "all about the wine" here, but even a "non-wine-drinker" will receive recommendations (s)he will like. Very tasty food.
Old Sep 23, 13, 10:41 am

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
I think Zuni is quite good but overrated.

Fine dining: Gary Danko, hands down.
In a normal price range:
Sushi: Okoze
Japanese (non sushi): Chotto
Greek: Kokkari
North African: Saha
Italian: Seven Hills, Barbacco
French: Cocotte or Ardoise for bistro food
Thai: Lers Ros (Tenderloin location, not Hayes Valley)
Old Sep 23, 13, 10:47 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Gary Danko for the splurge. ^ Not sure if you'll get reservations this close in.

Upscale Mexican: Colibri.

Down and dirty Mexican: Los Compadres taco truck (http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-compadre...an-francisco-3). If your convention is at Moscone Center, it's not a long walk for a darn good burrito.

Bourbon Steak, not really "San Francisco," but great pre-theater pricing if you eat before 6 PM. ($55 for three courses, unless it's gone up.)

House of Prime Rib is very San Francisco, fun and delicious.
Old Sep 24, 13, 12:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Gary Danko is easily my top choice for high end dining

Slanted Door in the Ferry Bldg for upscale Vietnamese fare

BaoNecci is a great kick back place in North Beach for pizza

RNG Lounge for Chinese

If you like ice cream, do yourself a favor and head to Bi Rite Creamery

adding... Tadich Grill
if you have time
TCHO near the Ferry Bldg for chocolate (sign up for their tour if you can)
wander thru the Ferry Building to get a coffee at Blue Bottle, snack on some salumi and other treats...
L'Artisan for the best macaron outside of Pierre Herme (warning: out of the way location and not a storefront)

Last edited by mrjay; Sep 24, 13 at 9:04 am Reason: thought of a few more
Old Sep 24, 13, 2:00 am

Upscale
I too recommend Gary Danko. Oddly enough, I just made a reservation earlier today for the end of October, so if you want to partake, use their form online now and try to get a reservation ASAP.

Midscale
For sushi, you can practically throw a rock in this city and find a decent sushi place, but I like Eiji's in the Castro. For upscale mexican, I'd check out Velvet Cantina in the mission (they also make a mean margarita). For steak, check out Harris's at Pacifc and Van Ness, or for Prime Rib there's House of Prime Rib literally right up the street. For Italian, I highly recommend E' Tutto Qua in North Beach. For European fare, you can do Zuni Cafe or NOPA (if doing Zuni, they have a great grilled chicken). For deep dish pizza, I really like Little Star due to their cornbread crust. For Asian Fusion, Burma Superstar is great (be prepared for a wait there) in Inner Richmond.

Cheap
There are lots of good, cheap places in the city. For a damn good sandwich, check out Ike's in the Castro. Cheap mexican can be found all over the Mission neighborhood, but I really love the super burrito at El Toro Taqueria at 17th and Valencia. If you want to feel gritty, hit the counter of Yamo's up the street from El Toro for some super cheap Burmese (the tea salad is amazing!). If you like sausages, than Rosamunde isn't to be missed (bonus, grab one at the Lower Haight location and walk next door to the Toronado's for a good beer). Finally, if you want the best ice cream you've ever had in your life, check out Bi-Rite Creamery, you won't be disappointed.

Drinks
For beer, I recommend both Toronado's in the Lower Haight, Magnolia in the Haight, and Monk's Kettle in the Mission for a wide variety of beer that's fresh and delicious. If you like wine, check out Hotel Biron near market street (not an actual hotel), or Press Club. If you enjoy a good cocktail, you surely don't want to miss Smuggler's Cove in Hayes Valley, and if you like whiskey, I recommend 15 Romolo in North Beach.

Last edited by calcium; Sep 24, 13 at 2:06 am
Old Sep 24, 13, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
It's completely tourist-y, but Boudin SF on the bay has an amazing sourdough pizza.
Old Sep 24, 13, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS Gold, B6 Mosaic, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
One more here for Gary Danko, just to drive the point home.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: