Wiki Posts
Search

Find me 4 dinners in SF :)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by mrjay
adding... Tadich Grill
+1 for Tadich especially since you like to sit at the bar.

My favorite SF restaurant is Rocco's Café, as seen on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I'd recommend Sebo for sushi but they've lost their lease and will close at the end of the month. I'd suggest Kiss or Ino Sushi as an alternative.

For fine dining I'd recommend Keiko a Nob Hill as an alternative to Gary Danko. I noticed Woody Allen there during the filming of Blue Jasmine if that's worth anything They also have a separate and somewhat different bar menu if you prefer.

For duck confit or bistro style steak I second the recommendation for L'Ardoise - their pommes frites are worth mentioning as well.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by konoyaro
I'd recommend Sebo for sushi but they've lost their lease and will close at the end of the month. I'd suggest Kiss or Ino Sushi as an alternative.

For fine dining I'd recommend Keiko a Nob Hill as an alternative to Gary Danko. I noticed Woody Allen there during the filming of Blue Jasmine if that's worth anything They also have a separate and somewhat different bar menu if you prefer.

For duck confit or bistro style steak I second the recommendation for L'Ardoise - their pommes frites are worth mentioning as well.
I had no idea about Sebo - that's too bad!

Another recommendation for L'Ardoise here. My husband and I call it "mini-vacation" because it is so different from most SF experiences.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:29 pm

Sushi at Koo on Irving. One of the best in the area run by Japanese owner.

Peking duck at RG in Chinatown is fine, but for a better experience, Koi Palace in Daly City is the best. Though, you'll need a car.

Thanh Long in the outer sunset is known for their crab and garlic noddle.

Pasta at Flour and Water if you can get a table.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by rjque

Another recommendation for L'Ardoise here. My husband and I call it "mini-vacation" because it is so different from most SF experiences.
A third for L'Ardoise.

If you don't mind taking a late reservation, Frances is also excellent (not too far from L'Ardoise).

For higher end dining/real splurge, I am very fond of Sons & Daughters.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I've never been to Burma Superstar but I do know that they recently suffered an e-coli outbreak. Mandalay Restaurant on California is a good alternative with a very nice tea leaf salad.

For sushi, I love Sebo in Hayes Valley and Ino in Japan Town.
I second Sebo - after seeing the Jiro Dreams of Sushi documentary (about the sushi restaurant in Tokyo that has 2 or 3 Michelin stars, and is in a train station!), I've become super fussy about raw (traditional) sushi, and really ONLY eat it at Sebo. Or Sushi Ran in Sausalito

I live in San Francisco; for Indian I would only recommend Roti, which isn't in the middle of town. I'd go to Yang Sink for dim sum (including Peking Duck) for lunch. For steak I'd endorse Izzy's Steaks, Sam's Grill, or Alexander Steakhouse; but even Ruth's Chris Steak House chain is good.

My favorite "American" special restaurant is Wayfare Tavern, which is connected with Tyler Florence from the food network. Reservations are helpful but they have a bar. They are in the financial district of SF and their food is really excellent.

HTH
Michael
Old Oct 6, 2013, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Holy Cow! I take a couple weeks away and this thread has bloomed upon my return. Thanks you so much. I'll be looking through it all... but there is for sure enough here to get it all done.

This is why I love FT! Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
you did see Sebo is closing?

Originally Posted by gaobest
I second Sebo - after seeing the Jiro Dreams of Sushi documentary (about the sushi restaurant in Tokyo that has 2 or 3 Michelin stars, and is in a train station!), I've become super fussy about raw (traditional) sushi, and really ONLY eat it at Sebo. Or Sushi Ran in Sausalito

Michael
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:53 am
Original Poster

OK- So after consultation with Mrs_dergon ....

* Koi Palace (on the night we go out with friends who have a car in SF)
* Sushi Ran with the ferry to Sausalito (that was on my potential toursit options anyway)
* L'Ardoise

and a wild card TBD (plus there's always lunches for some the more casual places too )

Anyhow .... thanks again a lot. You all really helped focus my search!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

First meal today - Hog Island Oyster for lunch at the Ferry Terminal.

It was packed, every restaurant, every stand. We waited in line for 45 minutes but then had a great meal at the bar. The oysters were fresh and the chowder bowl ...thinner, more buttery, shells on an ample number of little necks and halved huge chunks of potato... was one of the best I've ever had.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:59 pm

You mentioned oysters and I'm a bit surprised that nobody has mentioned Swan's. Polk & California. 8-5 (or so). It doesn't get any better. As far as Tadich goes, we had a flue fire 8 years ago and were closed for 6 months. Our sous chef worked at Tadich during that time and he said ALL the fish was frozen. Great atmosphere though. I prefer Sam's Grill for an old-timey SF seafood house. The food's better.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Oct 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
A third for L'Ardoise.

If you don't mind taking a late reservation, Frances is also excellent (not too far from L'Ardoise).

Either late or 15 minutes before they open and grab one of the 9 bar seats. Fabulous place although not probably for you. Mostly wine.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Made it to Sons & Daughters again on Friday night and it was just as good as it has ever been. It's definitely a splurge place (it's tasting menu only), and one of the better splurge places in town.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Made it to Sons & Daughters again on Friday night and it was just as good as it has ever been. It's definitely a splurge place (it's tasting menu only), and one of the better splurge places in town.
Have you ever been to Sweet Woodruff? Same people behind S&D, and an inexpensive delicious uber-causal bite right nearby.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Well..... "the best laid plans" and all that.

It's been a great few days, but we haven't done any of the dining I had planned.

On Sunday our friend surprised us and we went sailing on the Bay. We were out all day, had lunch at a little shack on Angel Island, and didn't make it back into dockin Sausalito until after dark. It was blowing 30 knots and it was some real fun on our little 32 foot Hunter..... it was 9pm by the time we got back into the CityI was spent and didn't even go out to dinner after.

Then yesterday Mrs_Dergon scheduled a full day tour to Monterey to see the aquarium etc. By the time we got home at day's end we just had enough energy to walk to a little place nearby -- Called Fly -- the little pizzas were good -- but no big night.

So we're down to just tonight before we fly out tomorrow. I have firm reservations at L'Ardoise.

Sorry to have you all squander your efforts on my behalf. But I really do appreciate it all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.