Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recommendations near the Hilton that's near Chinatown?

Old Feb 7, 13, 6:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)

Will be staying at the Hilton next to Chinatown soon. Would appreciate any recommendations for good food, preferably not overly expensive that are near. Doesn't have to be Chinese....
Old Feb 7, 13, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
My absolute favorite restaurant in San Francisco is The Stinking Rose. I assume you're going to be staying at the Hilton Financial District which is the closest one to Chinatown. It is within walking distance from that hotel. The prices are in the $17-$25 range which is pretty affordable for San Fran. It's called a "garlic restaurant" and if you like garlic, you'll love it. Even my wife who isn't a huge garlic fan still thinks it's a great restaurant as they have a section of the menu for non-garlic lovers. My favorite dish is the Silence of the Lamb Shank! I always go here when I'm in S.F. or their location in Beverly Hills when I'm near L.A. Hope this helps!
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:03 pm

Programs: HHDIA, SPG PLAT, DLDIA
San Francisco - Chinatown ?

Although they say they are steps away from Chinatown you 'll be a good 10 blocks from it. Walk down O'Farrell to Grant and then take a left on Grant and walk about 6 blocks. The first restaurant in is Cathay House, on the left. Walk 1/2 block past that to the Far East Cafe. Voted #8 of top 100 Chinese restaurants in America. I can vouch for it as we were there last month. Awesome Dim Sum. Reasonable. Excellent.
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer View Post
Will be staying at the Hilton next to Chinatown soon. Would appreciate any recommendations for good food, preferably not overly expensive that are near. Doesn't have to be Chinese....
If you're staying through Saturday, visit the Ferry Plaza's farmer's market in the morning. Lots of vendors (city restaurants) set up kiosks and offer certain menu items. If not, Ferry Plaza is home to Slanted Door and Hog Island Oyster Bar--two of my favorites. North Beach is home to Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store Cafe (non-smoking, as all California restaurants). You can also check out House of Nanking on Kearney (China Town), Tlaloc (Mexican, lunch only), Ramen Underground (lunch, get there early), or R&G (chinese, very reasonable and good variety). These are a few examples. I also suggest you YELP a restaurant if you're not sure. YELP is pretty much on the money when it comes to SF restaurants. If you're also looking for a cafe, Cafe Grecco is pretty famous (Columbus street) and has excellent coffee. Have fun!
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhonors fan View Post
My absolute favorite restaurant in San Francisco is The Stinking Rose. I assume you're going to be staying at the Hilton Financial District which is the closest one to Chinatown. It is within walking distance from that hotel. The prices are in the $17-$25 range which is pretty affordable for San Fran. It's called a "garlic restaurant" and if you like garlic, you'll love it. Even my wife who isn't a huge garlic fan still thinks it's a great restaurant as they have a section of the menu for non-garlic lovers. My favorite dish is the Silence of the Lamb Shank! I always go here when I'm in S.F. or their location in Beverly Hills when I'm near L.A. Hope this helps!
Gross gross gross. Overhyped tourist trap.

In Chinatown, we used to go to Pearl City Seafood Restaurant (gets lousy reviews - but it's been 10 years since I was there) for lunch dim sum pretty often. I loved it.

Wander down to the mission and take a gander at just about any restaurant there.

In no particular order:

Delfina
Ti Couz
Frjtz
Luna Park
Firefly
Slanted Door (in the ferry bldg)
Old Feb 7, 13, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
couple of things

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Gross gross gross. Overhyped tourist trap.

Wander down to the mission and take a gander at just about any restaurant there.

In no particular order:

Delfina
Ti Couz
Frjtz
Luna Park
Firefly
Slanted Door (in the ferry bldg)
I agree on stinking rose..

however the mission is not near chinatown as I think the OP wants.

and ti couz is closed.
Delfina often has a line for dinner.

You've gotten other good recs from some posters - and can't go wrong on the Ferry Building!

Last edited by squeakr; Feb 8, 13 at 11:11 am
Old Feb 8, 13, 8:10 am

I'm assuming this is the Hilton on Kearney?

Z & Y for Szechaun.

Tony's Pizza Napoletano (gets very busy, may be better off grabbing bar seats or go early)

Cotogna (rustic Italian)

Wayfare Tavern (entrees are $25-$35, so not sure if that's within budget you had in mind)
Old Feb 8, 13, 11:43 am

We stayed at that Hilton last year (presuming you mean the one on O'Farrell). We liked Johnny Foley's Irish Pub which is very close to the hotel
Old Feb 8, 13, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
The Ferry Building recs are good. I would add Claudine to the list. It's close to the ChinaTown gate, on Bush, at the corner of Claude Lane, close to the corner with Kearny.
Old Feb 8, 13, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
forgot about them

Originally Posted by lancebanyon View Post
We stayed at that Hilton last year (presuming you mean the one on O'Farrell). We liked Johnny Foley's Irish Pub which is very close to the hotel
the food is VERY good - can be a bit loud on weekends but friendly and good service.
Old Feb 9, 13, 10:55 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post

In no particular order:

Delfina Need reservations or come early and sit at counter
Ti Couz --CLOSED (now a sandwich/sports bar place)
Frjtz
Luna Park
Firefly Noe Valley
I live near all of these restaurants and they are not really "the Mission" but in the Valencia corridor (Firefly is firmly in Noe Valley) and quite a ways from where the OP wanted to be. All great places and that said, one could wander on Valencia between 16th and 24th Streets and eat happily for many days/weeks.
Old Feb 10, 13, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Fish Creek View Post
Although they say they are steps away from Chinatown you 'll be a good 10 blocks from it. Walk down O'Farrell to Grant and then take a left on Grant and walk about 6 blocks....
Originally Posted by lancebanyon View Post

No, the OP is talking about the "Hilton Financial District" on Kearny St., which is in Chinatown. NOT the Hilton on O'Farrell St.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Feb 10, 13 at 3:35 am
Old Feb 10, 13, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
For Chinese food, I would suggest the R & G Lounge, about a block down Kearny St. from the hotel.

Whoops! I just noticed that T2SFO also suggested this place.

Also remember that you'll be near North Beach (lots o' Italian restaurants). In fact, you'll have a view of it if you stay on the north side of the hotel, which you should.
Old Feb 10, 13, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA, BA, AA
Firstly, do NOT go to the restaurants RIGHT ON Columbus St. in North Beach, they are almost all ghastly tourist traps. North Beach has awesome restaurants, but not on the main strip.

Now to add to the already many great suggestions you have, these are some places to the north of your hotel (i.e. in North Beach).

The House (slightly pricey, also small so need reservation, but truly excellent, esp. seafood, desserts)
Park Tavern (again slightly upscale, but they have really taken off in the last year, and it's very large and open every night I think, so it's easy to get a table -- ask your server for recommendations)
Comstock Saloon or 15 Romolo (these are mainly sit-down bars famous for their cocktails, but they do make excellent small plates if you're hungry but don't want a full meal).
Burgermeister (if you want to be super casual and just have an awesome burger at a very low key place)

Also, generally speaking, there's a lot of good restaurants to the east and south of where you are, but because it's fi-di/ downtown respectively, expect nice places with relatively high prices. Also, in case that's of any interest to you, you are very close to some of SF's finest bars (the ones mentioned above and others).
Old Feb 10, 13, 5:25 pm

Just a couple of blocks away from the Hilton is Palio's, on Sacramento. During happy hour, for every 2 adult beverages you can get one of their $14-$18 pizzas for $1.

Sotto Mare on Green Street in North Beach is a decent Italian/seafood restaurant.

Just a few steps away is Golden Boy Pizza. Great pizza by the slice...real funky place.

Original Joes seems to be a popular place, and not too badly priced. Just had drinks there so far.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: