Original Poster

Living in San Francisco 101

[content deleted]

Last edited by Enigma; Oct 17, 2012 at 8:13 pm Reason: Unmoderated
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
This thread is likely to become super unwieldy soon

There a LOT about "living in SF" and not everyone will want the same kind of info. And as you can see, stickies don't seem to get added to here. SO I'm loath to have a "master" thread , but would support individual threads about living here.

So - I'll leave this open for feedback but may close it soon and encourage folks to ask SPECIFIC questions about living here . Those who have asked in the past have received good info tailored to thei questions.

thx

squeakr
MOD SFO
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Hi Squeakr, no worries, just thought it'd be a nice addition to the group. I'll edit my original post as I find other sites, or if others post here or privately. I hope it can stay open, even if not a sticky, and it'll pop up towards the top if active enough.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:00 pm

I thought this was interesting: http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/20...-the-bay-area/ First time in my 25 yrs in the Bay Area.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Hi all! I'm not a moderator but I created this thread and think these conversations are better suited to 1c from my list (City Data). Please remember that this thread is to contribute towards an index of sites to go to for this sort of information.

Consequently can we please try to keep this thread as a 101 / index forum rather than a discussion group on personal circumstances? Thanks!

whackyjacky, thanks for the contribution. I've added SF Gate as a local-centric newspaper. I think you'll find that the problem with buying for many is they have no credit history until they've been in a country for numerous years.

Last edited by Enigma; Sep 22, 2012 at 6:00 am
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
mixed feeling on the direction of the thread

seems like we're getting into mostly one person's situation. Best thought I have is to split into two threads.

feedback welcome via PM.

thx

squeakr

Mod SFO
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Enigma

a. SFList (what's going on - food, galleries, etc.)

http://sfist.com/
This site is NOT "SFList," it is SFist.

And you should mention the San Francisco Bay Guardian (www.sfbg.com) and SF Weekly (www.sfweekly.com) These are far more important and useful than SFist. (As any local would know.)

Just FYI, SF Gate is the website for the San Francisco Chronicle (newspaper). (Again, as any local would know.)

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Sep 26, 2012 at 3:58 am
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Hi KathyWdrf, thanks for the corrections and additions! I updated the first post.

Any other additions are greatly appreciated - perhaps you know some really good local reviews/discussions for places to eat, or forums as active as City Data?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
This site is NOT "SFList," it is SFist.

And you should mention the San Francisco Bay Guardian (www.sfbg.com) and SF Weekly (www.sfweekly.com) These are far more important and useful than SFist. (As any local would know.)
Woah - this local thinks SFist is a far better reference of what I think is interesting in SF than the Guardian or SF Weekly. It's great, however, that all three are included in this thread.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjque
Woah - this local thinks SFist is a far better reference of what I think is interesting in SF than the Guardian or SF Weekly. It's great, however, that all three are included in this thread.
One appears more local/bloggy and the other more broadsheet/general, so a bit of something for everyone!

Any more sites to add to the list rjque?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Enigma
One appears more local/bloggy and the other more broadsheet/general, so a bit of something for everyone!

Any more sites to add to the list rjque?
Sure. Neighborhood blogs can sometimes be great for more focused information on events that are interesting to locals (which is what I would want to check out if I were a tourist):

www.haighteration.com

http://missionlocal.org/

www.hayeswire.com

www.uppercasing.com

And some of the broader national blogs have local SF editions:

http://sf.eater.com/

sf.streetsblog.org

These are all great resources for new residents, but any visitor checking these out will likely need to weed through some irrelevant information to get info on interesting local events. Still, I use the Eater site for information on interesting events in NY and Chicago when I travel there - I think it is not a bad SF resource, too.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:54 am

Hi.
Can someone give me a neighborhood recommendation? I am moving from Westhampton to San Francisco in a few months. I have surfed Mavericks a few times, but never actually considered moving.
What I need:

trendy, safe area.
dog friendly.
driving to surfing
sunny (if possible)
loft

rental budget is $5k+
Also, how do you find an apartment besides CL? Brokers aren't too big here like they are in NYC
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:25 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by surftb15
Hi.
Can someone give me a neighborhood recommendation? I am moving from Westhampton to San Francisco in a few months. I have surfed Mavericks a few times, but never actually considered moving.
What I need:

trendy, safe area.
dog friendly.
driving to surfing
sunny (if possible)
loft

rental budget is $5k+
Also, how do you find an apartment besides CL? Brokers aren't too big here like they are in NYC
In terms of neighborhood, I assume you want to be in the City. There are a few neighborhoods that fit your first four criteria: SOMA/South Beach; Potrero Hill; Mission Dolores; the Mission; and Bernal Heights. Noe Valley is also an option, but it is more "family" than "trendy."

If you need a loft, I would focus on the SOMA/South Beach area, since that is where lofts seem to be concentrated. However, the properties that have lofts tend to be in the sketchier parts of SOMA, so you might lose part of your "safe" criteria by going for a loft. San Francisco is not a "loft" city for the most part.

I personally like Mission Dolores the most of all the options I mentioned. It is trendy and probably maximizes your first four criteria, but you might have trouble finding a loft.

I note that all these neighborhoods are different from each other, and have better and worse areas within them, so I would really get a feel for any area before signing a lease. Things can change drastically in San Francisco from block to block. You might also look at the SFPD Crime Maps (online) to get a sense of criminal activity on any particular street.

As to finding a place, Craigslist is your best bet in San Francisco. Unfortunately, the rental market has been very hot recently, so you will have to watch CL like a hawk and jump on anything good that comes along (since tens of others will, too). Not surprisingly, most of what is on CL is dumpy and/or overpriced, since these listings end up getting posted over and over. Also, you'll find that it is hard to sign a lease remotely -- you might want to make a trip or two out here for apartment hunting.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:04 am

Hello,
Thanks for the quick response. A loft is on the last of my needs, but safety is more important. If my girlfriend takes the dog on a walk at night, I want her to feel safe and comfortable.
I did find two posting for lofts in Soma area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2049139...26252318/show/

$5500 / month

https://plus.google.com/photos/10619...NTKwe-OwafGuQE

$4000 / month

I will start the search at Mission Dolores, it seems like a good area. I am coming out there on the 30.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Have you thought about Cow Hollow? It may not be as trendy as SOMA but its definitely safer. There are plenty of restaurants and plenty of people in their 20s and 30s. Probably a bit more expensive since it is near the Marina. Closer to Ocean Beach than Mission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.