Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Need a Hotel September 27th to October 4th 2012

Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot

A colleage of mine is attending a conference on the above dates but having left it late to book is having trouble finding a hotel at a reasonable rate.

The Crowne Plaza at SFO is still offering reasonable rates but I'm wondering if there is anywhere else in the nearby areas that is maybe quicker to get into the Moscone in the mornings than an airport hotel?

Any ideas? Is Berkeley/Oakland any faster for getting into San Francisco than SFO?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I assume the conference is Oracle Open World?

There was someone having similar problems a week or so before your dates - the advice offered in that thread is probably applicable to your case as well:

Link: --> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...co-hotel.htmlx

Best of luck in your search!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Define reasonable.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
It's a pet peeve of mine, but I continue to be baffled why people request help for "reasonable" or "cheap" accommodations without defining these terms. What might be "reasonable" to one person might be totally unconscionable to another.

Here's how you could supplement your post to receive feedback that is more meaningful:

A colleage of mine is attending a conference on the above dates but having left it late to book is having trouble finding a hotel at a reasonable rate (under $200/night, including taxes).

The Crowne Plaza at SFO is still offering reasonable rates of $169/night+tax but I'm wondering if there is anywhere else in the nearby areas that is maybe quicker to get into the Moscone in the mornings than an airport hotel?

Any ideas? Is Berkeley/Oakland any faster for getting into San Francisco than SFO?
You might also include what hotels and prices your colleague has already found; someone might know of a hotel that, while not meeting your definition of "reasonable," gives your colleague better options than those he's found.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
Hi, apologies for not being clearer.

$300 per night max would be good figure to try and get under of which there seems to be choice outwith the city itself. I'm just not to sure on the transportation links from these areas so would like somewhere close to a means of transport to get into the Moscone area as quickly as it possible.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:23 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
If you want to stay outside the City (to save money) but want easy and reliable public transit to Moscone, I would look for a place near BART. You might check prices at the Oakland Marriott City Center.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
What you may have to do is be willing to change hotels where you do 2-3 mights at one then 2-3 nights at another.

IF you cant find anything in SF city....I also dont know if you are trying to stay at large hotel chains vs indi/smaller chains like Kimpton.

Look nnear SFO airport where you can easily get to BART and take it to Powell then walk to the arena where the conference is happening.

Other option...there is a Marriott and a COurtyard in downtown Oakland at a BART stop. 10-15 min BART trip to downtown. You can find some cheaper rates there.

Other option is look farther out along the BART lines into Pleasanton/Dublin area or the Walnut Creek area along the yellow line also on the Oakland side.
There are hotels in San Ramon that are about the same distance from either of these stations...10 min drive or so.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:05 am

Try the Hotel Triton (a Kimpton Hotel right at the gates to China Town). It has rooms (at least right now) at $250 - 260 plus tax for those dates. It is 6/10ths of a mile from Moscone so about a 12 minute walk. Walking in SF is better than any other transportation form. It is a sort of funky hotel, but clean, comfortable and good service in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.