Wiki Posts
Search

Searching San Fransico Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Searching San Fransico Hotel

Hey Guys, how are you?

I am searching for an nice Hotel in San Fransisco from the 19th of September to the 23 of September....

But most of the Hotels are sold out and a lot of them are so expansive...

Have anyone of you an idea or know a good hotel or a good deal for some hotels??

Should be clean an about $100-$120 / night...(free parking, will be good)

Thanks a lot

best wishes
Old Aug 13, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by karimi
Hey Guys, how are you?

I am searching for an nice Hotel in San Fransisco from the 19th of September to the 23 of September....

Have anyone of you an idea or know a good hotel or a good deal for some hotels??

Thanks a lot

best wishes
Good luck with that. Have you expanded your search to areas outside of San Francisco or does it have to be San Francisco?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Try in the sunset district out near the beach. I think there is a Best Western. Also, along Lombard street. Forget downtown or airport on your budget. Downtown also costs an average 50$ a day to park your car.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:34 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

About your only hope is Priceline. Parking will not be free.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:35 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
You can try Priceline. Sometimes there are some great deals to be had on decent hotels.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:38 pm

Your budget is unrealistic for downtown SF unless you happen to find a room at a hostel or motel. I agree, exanding your search (e.g., South San Francisco/airport, Oakland) migtht get required. We did get an SF airport hotel through Hilton Garden Inn for a bit over $100, plus taxes and fees, a year or so ago. SF is one city where weekend rates are high, due to the number of tourists. I agree that for downtown SF, Hotwire or Priceline are perhaps your best options.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
another vote for Priceline or Hotwire

If you're nervous about bidding, hotwire will tell you a bit about the hotel and the price before you commit. BUT IT IS NON CHANGEABLE and non REFUNDABLE so be sure it's what you want.
But you won't find free parking anywhere for the price you are paying.

Just did a search on hotwire for your dates - and wow you are right there is nothing. Is there a big convention somewhere?
I would check the joie de vivre chain, see if any specials but I don't think anyplace will come near those process. You can try hotwire closer to your dates, or split up the request into two separate ones but that's also risky.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
You could also find a hotel near BART in Daly City or Oakland. Sometimes good rates are available a the Hampton Inn in Daly City or the Marriott in Oakland. Once in town go the a Walgreens and get a Clipper Card to use on mass-transit.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by squeakr
Just did a search on hotwire for your dates - and wow you are right there is nothing. Is there a big convention somewhere?
Yes - salesforce.com (one of the world's biggest Customer Relationship Management software vendor) is holding their worldwide user conference at the Moscone Center during the OP's dates:

http://www.salesforce.com/dreamforce/DF12/
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by karimi
Hey Guys, how are you?

Thanks a lot

best wishes
September is the peak travel month to SF when the weather is the best.

Even with that you will NEVER find a hotel in SF under $100 unless you are in a high crime area or a place way off the beaten path....or you stay someplace that operates more as a hostel.

To find something cheaper if your price range is under $100 you need to stay outside the city and find a place bear a BART station and then just get into town via BART. Other option is staying down in San Jose area and taking Caltran in.

You dont need a rental car to get around SF. I suggest you look to take BART or Caltran in and get around that way. All hotels you need to pay a parking fee of a large amount.

You can easily fly into Oakland and then take a bus to BART station. You may find something cheaper on the Oakland side.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Things have been pretty bad over on this side, too. Even the Four Points Emeryville has been frequently sold out or much higher than typical rates over the past several weeks.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by djp98374
....Even with that you will NEVER find a hotel in SF under $100 unless you are in a high crime area or a place way off the beaten path....or you stay someplace that operates more as a hostel.
"Never" is way too strong a word. There are good hotels for $100-120 SOMETIMES (not "under $100" -- the OP said $100-120). However, because of the convention, many hotels are booked solid, and ones with availability are expensive.

....Other option is staying down in San Jose area and taking Caltran in....
That option, whether using Caltrain (not "Caltran") or using transit in the East Bay, will require spending a minimum of two hours in each direction -- four hours per day; it will cost approx. $13 or more per day. Driving will require a minimum of one hour each way and the gas will cost $12 - 16 per day (not to mention the other costs of driving). Staying as far away as San Jose, when you're trying to visit San Francisco, is generally just not that desirable or practical; and San Jose isn't a cheap place to stay either.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Aug 17, 2012 at 4:24 am
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
"Never" is way too strong a word. There are good hotels for $100-120 SOMETIMES (not "under $100" -- the OP said $100-120). However, because of the convention, many hotels are booked solid, and ones with availability are expensive.

That option, whether using Caltrain (not "Caltran") or using transit in the East Bay, will require spending a minimum of two hours in each direction -- four hours per day; it will cost approx. $13 or more per day. Driving will require a minimum of one hour each way and the gas will cost $12 - 16 per day (not to mention the other costs of driving). Staying as far away as San Jose, when you're trying to visit San Francisco, is generally just not that desirable or practical; and San Jose isn't a cheap place to stay either.

Tell me where you find a hotel after taxes in SF that is $100-$120 in September (peak travel time for the city) that isnt way out in the middle of nowhere that you will need to take taxis/car to get anywhere.

Caltrain/caltran ---- misspelling happen thought I hit the "i"--- There are multple stops on the train line not just San Jose so you may find a location for a hotel far from BART but close to a train station.

From the East side its about 60-75 min ride into town if you stay on the outskirts. There are some hotels right off some of the BART stops on the east side so no need to rent a car. From downtoen Oakland its about 10-15 min to SF.

If this is for a conference usually the conferences have a student rate for some lodging that is below market rates that could meet their price budgets.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:21 pm

in san Fran for one night on Thursday the 30th and wondering if there are any cool hotels or hotels to avoid. Ideally would like to stay under 200 and of course the lower the better. Thinking of doing priceline. Would like min 3 star or higher and no window ac units. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Last edited by encierro98; Aug 17, 2012 at 11:35 pm
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by djp98374
Tell me where you find a hotel after taxes in SF that is $100-$120 in September (peak travel time for the city) that isnt way out in the middle of nowhere that you will need to take taxis/car to get anywhere....
It's actually possible using Priceline or Hotwire, as already suggested by others on this thread. You don't seem to be familiar with these possibilities. You should not ignore/dismiss something just because you are unfamiliar with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.