Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this an ok area to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Is this an ok area to stay?

I'm going to San Francisco for a few days next month. I've been before but it was years ago and I don't remember the layout of the city that well. We wanted a "cheap and cheerful" place to stay and I found one online (that was great value and had good reviews on Trip Advisor) located in Sutter Street, just a couple of blocks up from the Union Square Park. Is this an ok area? We don't mind if it's not particularly hip, just that it's safe (as much as any city can be given sensible precautions) and relatively easy to get around from. I've already booked but it's 100% refundable so please be honest, I just want to check I don't need to find another option.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:47 am

IMO, there's almost no dodgy parts of SFO. Even in the less then polished neighborhoods, it seems they're filled with students/artists/hipsters. Just exercise normal precautions and don't carry around all of that money you saved in cash ;-)

What hotel did you book out of curiosity?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Originally Posted by Spunwasi
IMO, there's almost no dodgy parts of SFO. Even in the less then polished neighborhoods
I completely disagree. There are a couple of neighborhoods that I would never advise tourists to stay in (I've lived here for 5 years).

Sutter should be fine -- however:

The tenderloin -- south and west of Union square (while not necessarily super dangerous) is full of drugs, homeless, and generally very unpleasant.

Same goes for the area around 6th and Market (and the part of SOMA that is next it). Other than that -- you should be OK.

OP -- Please PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks both. I heard that the Tenderloin was best avoided but this area seemed ok. I live in London so am pretty streetwise but it's always a bit tougher to know where to steer clear of in an unfamiliar city.

This is the hotel I've booked: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...a.html#REVIEWS

It's by no means fancy but we're not planning on spending much time in the room so would rather spend the extra money on some nice meals etc while we're there.

Wingman32, thanks for your kind offer, I'm bound to come up with some questions so will drop you a line
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
IMO, there's almost no dodgy parts of SFO.
Ever been to Sunnydale or Bayview?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:33 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

That location is fine - it's bascially Union Sq shopping area - about 1 block from the Grand Hyatt (away from Tenderloin).
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Excellent location. You almost couldn't do any better as a tourist. It really isn't until about Taylor St. (and west) that things are sketchy.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
seriously, how many tourists will find their way there?

Originally Posted by tom911
Ever been to Sunnydale or Bayview?
There's not really any hotels or sights s in either of those areas, worst problem would be if you got lost on a city bus and didn't get off in time, which seems unlikely.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I don't know the hotel.

But i see they have rooms with and without private baths. I personally would only go for a private bath.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:55 pm

Huh???

Glad the OP didn't take your advice.

IMO, there's almost no dodgy parts of SFO. Even in the less then polished neighborhoods, it seems they're filled with students/artists/hipsters. Just exercise normal precautions and don't carry around all of that money you saved in cash ;-)

What hotel did you book out of curiosity?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Excellent location. You almost couldn't do any better as a tourist. It really isn't until about Taylor St. (and west) that things are sketchy.
That's great to hear, thanks ^

Originally Posted by squeakr
But i see they have rooms with and without private baths. I personally would only go for a private bath.
They only had one room with private bath left so we booked that one plus one without so we can share the one between the 3 of us.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
The area is fine, I stay at Sutter & Kearny all the time.

I also learned the difference between "private bath" and "en suite" the hard way in London, many, many years ago.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great location

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Agree. It's an excellent location.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:12 am

+1. You'd have to go out of your way to stumble into those neighborhoods, and I was just assuming the OP wasn't looking for meth. :-)

For the most part you have to go looking for trouble in San Francisco.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:12 am

Don't miss out on Tenderloin completely

Some folks have alluded to the Tenderloin being dangerous. It isn't so much during the day and you'd miss the opportunity for some great inexpensive restaurants in the area. I wish I could remember the name of the place, but it's next door to Lee's Sandwiches. It's a Vietnamese restaurant with awesome food. We found it because it was reviewed in a magazine. I bet your hotel staff would know the name.

Enjoy San Francisco!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.