Off the Beaten Path Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:30 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Off the Beaten Path Recommendations?

Gang,

I have a dear friend who is visiting Northern California around the Fourth of July.

They have never been to San Francisco before but want to do things that are not the normal touristy things to do.

What would the local crowd recommend? Any unusual restraunts? Things to do?

Thanks in advance.

William

Last edited by wharvey; Mar 11, 2012 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Well, first, I'd suggest that he/she not refer to the city as "San Fran" when talking with locals

I don't know if it qualifies as "off the beaten path," but a drive to the top of Mt. Diablo is nice and the view, on a clear day, spectacular.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well, first, I'd suggest that he/she not refer to the city as "San Fran" when talking with locals

I don't know if it qualifies as "off the beaten path," but a drive to the top of Mt. Diablo is nice and the view, on a clear day, spectacular.
I'd agree about the 'San Fran'. Also, "Frisco" is definitely an out-of-towner expression.

I think Mt. Tamalpias may be a little closer, but I have never been to the top of Mt. Diablo. You can be some spectacular views from the top of Mt. Tam. If you will be in Marin, drive to the edge of Tiburon and go for drinks or lunch at the restaurants at the end of Tiburon drive for a view of SF.

If back in SF, consider Lands' end:

http://www.parksconservancy.org/visi...lands-end.html

Also, consider going to the SF MOMA, pizza or pasta lunch at Zero Zero (one of the best places for "modern" Italian), then stroll around Yerba buena gardens with a cup of coffee and look at the architecture.

For casual French, consider Chapeau or Clementine (they've merged). The owner is ominipresent and greets the diners. The french food is good (not great, but very solid), and fairly priced.

Consider a stroll at Crissyfield. It's certainly not "off the beaten path" because there are tons of people there, but it's less touristy (certainly less than the stop at the GG bridge with all the tour buses) and just a beautiful place to see San Francisco and the GG bridge.

For "neighborhood" type feel, consider a stroll in Noe Valley on 24th street all the way into the mission. It really gives you a good feel of the local climate of SF, and it's interesting how it changes from yuppie-ville to the mission. Great restaurants all along the way in both parts of town.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:55 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

And don't refer to it as "Frisco", either

Now staying in line with heights, drive up to the Marin Headlands for an amazing view of the city
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Consider a ride (including a possible ferry ride) to Alameda to visit the Hangar One distillery, as well as a group of wineries right nearby.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:53 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
is it just for one day

or a few days..advice may depend on how much time they will spend here.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

One of the best views of Berkeley, Oakland, and the SF Bay can be found at a small turnoff/parking area on Fish Ranch Road via the last exit on 24 westbound before the tunnel.

If you're of a certain era, a visit to Altamont Speedway will make you shiver.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
They will be there for 3 days after doing a few days of vineyard tours.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
If it is there first time to SF, they really do have to some of the "touristy" things. Some are really a must do for any first-time trip to SF.

1. Walk the Golden Gate Bridge on a, hopefully, clear day. The bridge is amazing and the views are amazing.
2. Visit at least one of the fine art museums: SFMOMA or the de Young. Other museums worth visiting: the Legion of Honor, Academy of Sciences, and Asian Art Museum.
3. Catch a performance of the SF Symphony, Opera or Ballet. The Opera and Ballet are in the beautiful War Memorial Opera House and the SF Symphony is one of the finest symphonies in the world.
4. Eat, eat and eat. SF has some of the best restaurants in the US, from small ethnic eateries to high-end dining.
5. Walk the various neighborhoods in SF: Hayes Valley, Fillmore, Chestnut, Haight, Castro, etc. For a true experience of Chinatown, visit Grant and then walk up to Stockton where Chinese people actually do their shopping. Clement St. further West is also authentic with a more diverse mix of Chinese and non-Chinese shops/restaurants.
6. Take a ferry ride to Marin instead of the one that goes on the tour around GG Bridge and Alcatraz.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about a visit to Wyatt Earp's grave in the Jewish cemetery in Colma? Bet you won't see many tourists there!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
If it is there first time to SF, they really do have to some of the "touristy" things. Some are really a must do for any first-time trip to SF.
Well, I think one would have to put Fisherman's Wharf in that category if we're talking about the quintessential "touristy" things -- particularly if it includes a cable car ride to get to it
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One of the best views of Berkeley, Oakland, and the SF Bay can be found at a small turnoff/parking area on Fish Ranch Road via the last exit on 24 westbound before the tunnel.

If you're of a certain era, a visit to Altamont Speedway will make you shiver.
I would suggest going up to the Lawrence Hall of Science.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I think a picnic at the Hog Island Oyster Farm in Marshall always makes for a nice local outing.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Biking over the Golden Gate is great if they are athletic types. They can take the ferry back.

Are they baseball fans? AT&T Park is a great place to see a game.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:33 am

Stairway hike and wild parrots
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...alking-tour-3/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.