Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Restaurant recommendation in Civic Center area?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass

Staying tonight in the civic center area of SF. Any suggestions on a nice quiet restaurant in the area?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
Depends on your price point. Head west across Van Ness ave into the Hayes Valley neighborhood and you'll find some nice spots, though not all are quiet. Also some nice restaurants around the Opera house, like Jardiniere.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I didn't notice this yesterday. The advice to head across Van Ness is good. Absinthe (Californian - great cocktails), Nojo (Japanese - some of the best Izakaya food in SF), Lers Ros (as close to Thailand as it gets here) and Zuni (classic) are all walkable from the Civic Center hotels.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Some of the best Vietnamese food in the city is in the Civic Center area.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by rjque
Sorry I didn't notice this yesterday. The advice to head across Van Ness is good. Absinthe (Californian - great cocktails), Nojo (Japanese - some of the best Izakaya food in SF), Lers Ros (as close to Thailand as it gets here) and Zuni (classic) are all walkable from the Civic Center hotels.
Absinthe is very good.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:57 am

Just went to Gary Dankos which I thought was overated
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsaced
Just went to Gary Dankos which I thought was overated
. . . and nowhere near Civic Center.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:27 pm

Rocco's on Folsom. Great seafood pastas and really good chicken picatta, scallopini, marsala.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by rjque
Lers Ros (as close to Thailand as it gets here)
Probably my new favorite Thai restaurant in the city - the original location on Larkin (haven't tried the Hayes location yet).
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StudentExplorer
Probably my new favorite Thai restaurant in the city - the original location on Larkin (haven't tried the Hayes location yet).
It's really much better than anything else I've had in the Bay Area, and reminds me of my absolute favorite Thai restaurant in the U.S., Pok Pok in PDX. It's not as good as Pok Pok, but it's definitely the best in SF.

(Oddly enough, Pok Pok is opening a chicken wing outpost on the Lower East Side in Manhattan).
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:56 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Little Joe's at 5th and Mission is one of my favorite Italian restaurants in town. Not super fancy or pretentious, but great food. Can't beat their Veal Parmesan or Cacciucco (Ciopinno). Reasonably priced.

I heard that Original Joe's in the Tenderloin (on Taylor, just north of market) closed down. If not, they have their own butcher and a great hamburger. Waiters in Tuxedos, but a classic SF hole in the wall. Careful with that one if you're afraid of sketchy neighborhoods, as the Tenderloin is about as sketchy as they get. Don't go at night.

Max's Opera Cafe, at Van Ness and Golden Gate, has great desserts, and the waiters and waitresses are all wannabe show people, so they entertain you while you eat.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:35 pm

Original Joe's is now in North Beach, where Dimaggio's used to be.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Little Joe's has been closed for a while

Original Joe's in North Beach now reopened

Originally Posted by Hoc
Little Joe's at 5th and Mission is one of my favorite Italian restaurants in town. Not super fancy or pretentious, but great food. Can't beat their Veal Parmesan or Cacciucco (Ciopinno). Reasonably priced.

I heard that Original Joe's in the Tenderloin (LOSED) (on Taylor, just north of market) closed down. If not, they have their own butcher and a great hamburger. Waiters in Tuxedos, but a classic SF hole in the wall. Careful with that one if you're afraid of sketchy neighborhoods, as the Tenderloin is about as sketchy as they get. Don't go at night.

Max's Opera Cafe, at Van Ness and Golden Gate, has great desserts, and the waiters and waitresses are all wannabe show people, so they entertain you while you eat.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Little Joe's has been closed for a while

Original Joe's now reopened, in North Beach

Originally Posted by Hoc

I heard that Original Joe's in the Tenderloin (CLOSED) (on Taylor, just north of market) closed down. If not, they have their own butcher and a great hamburger. Waiters in Tuxedos, but a classic SF hole in the wall. Careful with that one if you're afraid of sketchy neighborhoods, as the Tenderloin is about as sketchy as they get. Don't go at night.

Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:47 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by squeakr
Original Joe's now reopened, in North Beach
Interesting. Little Joe's used to be in North Beach, then moved to Van Ness, and is now at 5th and Mission. If Original Joe's is now in North Beach, then the area is no longer sketchy, but I would go there for a burger, rather than the Italian. Little Joe's is still my favorite for Italian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.