Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

Help with an overnight layover and need to pick up a HD projector in SF

Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, ANA, Spg Gold

OK, apologies for the very specific question here, but am sure that tech-savvy flyertalkers will be able to help me on this one...

I am arriving in SFO near midnight on a Sunday night next month from LHR. I then fly out again on a 11.43am flight to KIX the next morning (Monday).

I want to pick up a Mitsubishi HC4000 HD projector on the Monday morning prior to my flight (despite living in Japan these are around half price in the US!).

I was thinking that staying in San Bruno would allow me to visit the Best Buy prior to leaving for the airport on Monday morning, but it seems that Best Buy does not stock the HC4000.

Where are the best/biggest electronics stores in the SFO area? And where should I stay if this is my primary mission? Would these stores open in time for me to buy the projector and make it to the airport in time for my flight?

many thanks for any help!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The biggest electronics store in the Bay Area is the Frys chain, http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp

But a quick check of the Fry's website does not show they carry the Mitsubishi projector line. Also checked Central Computer and they don't seem to carry it either. Looks like the Costco Warehouse website sells it as a bundle with other components. Don't know whether this has to be ordered online or is available for in-person shopping at a warehouse. There are several Costco warehouses within 10 mins. of SFO but their warehouses don't open 'til 10 a.m and Costco has a membership requirement in order to buy.

There are undoubtedly other outlets which offer it by mail order such as Amazon, etc. Is mail order an option?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
The biggest electronics store in the Bay Area is the Frys chain, http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp

But a quick check of the Fry's website does not show they carry the Mitsubishi projector line. Also checked Central Computer and they don't seem to carry it either. Looks like the Costco Warehouse website sells it as a bundle with other components. Don't know whether this has to be ordered online or is available for in-person shopping at a warehouse. There are several Costco warehouses within 10 mins. of SFO but their warehouses don't open 'til 10 a.m and Costco has a membership requirement in order to buy.

There are undoubtedly other outlets which offer it by mail order such as Amazon, etc. Is mail order an option?
Not really, as I am not really staying long enough to touch base with my only friends there and therefore don't want to ask them to accept something on my behalf. I suppose I might be able to get it sent to a hotel I decide upon. But am a little nervous about this for obvious reasons. Thanks for checking the stores! If I could see in stock at Cosco, that would seem like the best option if I could get membership in time.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:05 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
you can buy costco membership online

Originally Posted by sailles
Not really, as I am not really staying long enough to touch base with my only friends there and therefore don't want to ask them to accept something on my behalf. I suppose I might be able to get it sent to a hotel I decide upon. But am a little nervous about this for obvious reasons. Thanks for checking the stores! If I could see in stock at Costco, that would seem like the best option if I could get membership in time.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Two possibilities:

a) order and ship to yourself in care of the hotel

b) order and ship to a 24 hour Fed Ex Kinkos location that offers "hold for pickup" service. You need to verify that the specific 24 hour location is designated for this service. When using Priority One (next day morning) service, your package is guaranteed to be available no later than 09:00 local time.

Note: since your order would be shipping in winter time, I would leave a day or two "cushion" so that any Fed Ex weather IRROPS would not mean missing your shipment.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks to Non-NonRev and all for advice. The Kinkos idea sounds interesting. Some hotels have a in-house location as I remember. And, yes, didar56, if there was somewhere in the airport... Often thought that this would be a good service for an airline lounge to offer...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Fed Ex Office (newer name for FedEx Kinkos ) has a web page and video explaining the service:

http://fedex.com/us/services/hold.html

http://fedex.com/us/services/options...6&tssect=app33

The service is probably going to be limited to Fed Ex-owned facilities, since they are responsible for the security of the shipment until it is picked up by the designated recipient.

If you use their location search tool, search on Burlingame CA or Millbrae CA and be sure to tick the boxes on the right that will return only those locations that offer the hold for pickup service:

http://www.fedex.com//Dropoff/start

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Fed Ex Office (newer name for FedEx Kinkos ) has a web page and video explaining the service:

http://fedex.com/us/services/hold.html

http://fedex.com/us/services/options...6&tssect=app33

The service is probably going to be limited to Fed Ex-owned facilities, since they are responsible for the security of the shipment until it is picked up by the designated recipient.

If you use their location search tool, search on Burlingame CA or Millbrae CA and be sure to tick the boxes on the right that will return only those locations that offer the hold for pickup service:

http://www.fedex.com//Dropoff/start

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Again, thanks Non-NonRev, this is a really great idea. Unfortunately, I can only find 4 locations right in downtown which would mean a trip out from the airport at midnight to a downtown hotel. I was thinking more of a hotel in San Bruno or similar location for quick cab access on arrival. As I intend to be passing through other US cities over the next year with similar needs, however, I will keep this in mind as a novel solution.

I am now thinking of having the damn thing shipped to Japan UPS for 150 USD from an ebay seller (I guess that is just a little more than two cab rides from SFO to downtown??). Amazing that situations like this really show the dominance of internet shopping over store shopping! Ah, the days when the local electronics shop guy would be as excited as you at your new acquisition!

Again, thanks for all the help and advice. Will hang on for any last minute ideas...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:33 am
Original Poster

forgot to mention that Costco don't have store pickup for this item... another good idea.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, thanks Non-NonRev, this is a really great idea. Unfortunately, I can only find 4 locations right in downtown which would mean a trip out from the airport at midnight to a downtown hotel. I was thinking more of a hotel in San Bruno or similar location for quick cab access on arrival.
You're most welcome! However, using the locator tool I found the FedEx Office location at 365 Broadway Ave, in Millbrae which opens at 07:00 on Monday morning. This location would allow you to pick up the parcel just before you head over to the airport for your ongoing flight.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...79565&t=h&z=14

Should you go the eBay vendor route, be sure he/she is well-versed in customs procedures - I recall an adventure I once had in Genoa trying to get the Italian authorities to release some custom-built twinaxial cables that had been rush-shipped to me from the U.S. (it gave me an extra day in Italy, not a bad thing on further reflection)
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
You're most welcome! However, using the locator tool I found the FedEx Office location at 365 Broadway Ave, in Millbrae which opens at 07:00 on Monday morning. This location would allow you to pick up the parcel just before you head over to the airport for your ongoing flight.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...79565&t=h&z=14

Should you go the eBay vendor route, be sure he/she is well-versed in customs procedures - I recall an adventure I once had in Genoa trying to get the Italian authorities to release some custom-built twinaxial cables that had been rush-shipped to me from the U.S. (it gave me an extra day in Italy, not a bad thing on further reflection)
Wow, thanks! Don't know why I wasn't getting that! This is by far the best solution! Will definitely go for this as the option. No doubt this will help other non-US residents to co-ordinate purchases travelling through. Many thanks again!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

forgot to mention that Costco don't have store pickup for this item... another good idea.
It's even more complicated than that. At most Costco stores that open at 10am, for the first half hour or hour on weekdays, you have to have a corporate membership to enter -- this costs $100 instead of $50.

However, if you do buy a Costco membership, it's also valid in Japan.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The nearest costco is in south SF - very close to the airport and right next to quality inn hotel.
451 S Airport Blvd, South San Francisco, CA
Call them to check if they have the item in stock but it will cost you $100 and a few extra minutes as Richard mentioned (I am quite certain you can downgrade the membership later if you want)

Costco combo also includes a receiver (sounds like a bulky package already) and a screen to claim by main in rebate.
If I were in SF I would buy it for you in exchange for keeping the screen claim form Next time fly through LA.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Why not ask a FT'er to receive it and forward the shipment? Just a thought...

HTSC
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:06 am

We bought a cell phone at the San Bruno Best Buy after arrival at SFO in October, but that was a mid-day arrival. I wouldn't want to try shopping at a store opening at 10 a.m., such as Best Buy or Costco, and getting to SFO for an interntional flight leaving at 11:45 a.m. You should check-in by 10:30, or earlier. Your airline may have a specific requirement. And the cab ride wouldn't be cheap. I'd phone some electronics stores and see if they have any ideas. Maybe you can find a specialty store in downtown SF, but even if you stayed there that night (a really late arrival), it'd be tough to get to your flight in time. And would you risk such a specialty projecter in your checked bags? If you are going to try to take it in your carry-on bag, make sure your airline allows it.

I assume changing your flight into SFO to a day earlier is not feasible or cost-effective.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.