Wiki Posts
Search

Big storm at SFO on Tuesday, Oct 13th 2009

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Big storm at SFO on Tuesday, Oct 13th 2009

Big storm predicted for SFO on Tuesday. High winds and rain. If you have a choice, route through DEN.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
I see that heavy wind and rain are predicted on weather.com but how severe is it supposed to be?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:14 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
It really doesn't matter how severe or light the weather will be. All SFO needs is a low enough "ceiling" and ATC will shut down two runways, declare "flow control," and the departure boards will light up like a christmas tree shortly thereafter.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by MWRFlyer
I see that heavy wind and rain are predicted on weather.com but how severe is it supposed to be?
20-40 mph sustained winds with gusts to 65 mph. Could be a few go-arounds.

Weather Underground has the warning.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:22 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Apparently, it is the remnants of a typhoon from Japan. NWS calling for winds of 20-40mph and gusts up to 60 mph in some areas.
Search for the San Francisco forecast at nws.NOAA.gov and read the hazardous weather advisory statement.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:09 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
The local paper is forecasting up to 2.5". It's supposed to be a huge storm. If it pans out, I'd expect SFO to be affected pretty heavily.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:23 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
This is unusually big storm for October. In winter such a storm would not be unusual. At some point, all but one SFO runways will be closed, and delays will start piling up.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm scheduled to fly through SFO on my PDX-IAD itinerary on Tuesday and I need the mileage on the routing to reach 1P status by year end. Any thoughts on how I should handle any reroutings or delays/cancellations day of?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:40 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I'm scheduled to fly through SFO on my PDX-IAD itinerary on Tuesday and I need the mileage on the routing to reach 1P status by year end. Any thoughts on how I should handle any reroutings or delays/cancellations day of?
If there is a way to route through SJC, I'd try that. SJC rarely gets impacted by weather the way SFO does. Unfortunately, there aren't that many offerings through SJC anymore.

They're certainly playing this up to be a BIG storm. Hard to believe; I just got back from a bike ride in the Sierras and the weather was spectacular. But I guess Tuesday morning I'll be out on my rain bike, getting soaked. Not looking forward to that!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You can try to reroute through LAX instead of DEN to preserve the extra miles you need.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:50 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
See if you could reroute through LAX. We're expecting rain down here too, but not until later in the day.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:55 am

Programs: DAL-PM
Looks like strong winds out of the south...that screws thing up just in itself, but when you throw in a low ceiling and visibility it will get even more jacked up.

48 prog chart show the low pressure coming on shore.

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/progs/nav.php?current=4

Would not UAL reroute you thru another city but guarantee the original milage credit? Example..PDX-SEA-IAD instead of thru SFO?

have fun out there!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:55 am

That's funny, I just got on to start a thread about this and saw this one!

There's a big low off the coast right now combined with a nice cold front occlusion. This will be a very strong storm. Expect very choppy skies with strong wind shear and very heavy rain. Winds look to be out of the south at around 30kts, with strong gusts.

I have a MR scheduled MCO-SFO-SAN-SFO-MCO on the 13th. This should be interesting....
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
20-40 mph sustained winds with gusts to 65 mph. Could be a few go-arounds.

Weather Underground has the warning.
and maybe even "circle to land 1R"* or "vor bravo"* approaches to the 10's too

*iirc, that's what they were called back when i had a scanner
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by goalie
and maybe even "circle to land 1R"* or "vor bravo"* approaches to the 10's too

*iirc, that's what they were called back when i had a scanner
1R/L is the only direction I haven't landed in at SFO.... also haven't taken off on 19R/L.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.