FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   S.P.A.M. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m-2/)
-   -   SWAGBUCKS getting lame (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m/963527-swagbucks-getting-lame.html)

twoner32 Jun 10, 2009 8:37 pm

SWAGBUCKS getting lame

Swagbucks is getting lame. Maybe it always has been lame and I was just too excited for it.

but the 1 point (or Swagbuck) for every $5 spent is really, really poor.

Thoughts?

MileageAddict Jun 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by twoner32 (Post 11888418)
Swagbucks is getting lame. Maybe it always has been lame and I was just too excited for it.

but the 1 point (or Swagbuck) for every $5 spent is really, really poor.

Thoughts?

I signed up, participated for a week and abandoned it. It sucks.

mikeef Jun 11, 2009 6:11 am

I would never actually buy anything through SB. There are definitely better deals on the web for purchases.

I only use it for a search engine. Every once in a while I get a free Starbucks gift card. I'm good with that.

Mike

pgary Jun 11, 2009 2:26 pm

I have received 2737 SBs via searches, codes, and (mostly) via referral activity. This translates into $300 worth of Amazon e-cards. Easy money, especially after discovering that Amazon sells most everything non-perishable that I need.

I convert SBs immediately to these e-cards, since I don't understand how they make their money and have no faith in their long term survival.

My referral link is http://swagbucks.com/refer/pgary.

Nolarchy Jun 11, 2009 2:35 pm

I joined to help out a buddy that referred me. However, since I made the switch to Google Chrome for my search engine, I can just search from the address bar instead of having to go to a dedicated page. I can't go back now, it's too simple and effective. Or maybe it's just that I'm lazy.

Cheapskate Travels Jun 11, 2009 3:25 pm

I'm with Gary. Even w/o the referrals you can get about $15 in Amazon GCs every 2 months just for signing in, then "searching" to the website you were going to type directly into anyway. Plus, for those doing it at work, geez, couldn't be easier, just keep it on the desktop. :p

aerospace Jun 11, 2009 4:27 pm

I think we've had this discussion about other similar programs such as mypoints, but the whole point of it is it's free. Just for clicking or searching, you can accumulate enough points for gift cards.

mikeef Jun 12, 2009 7:09 am

Originally Posted by pgary (Post 11892622)
I convert SBs immediately to these e-cards, since I don't understand how they make their money and have no faith in their long term survival.

My referral link is http://swagbucks.com/refer/pgary.

My guess is that they work off a Google Adsense type model. But I would agree with you; every time I join one of these types of programs, they always seem to go under eventually. I usually track it by how long it takes for me to get a prize after I order it, which is often an indication of the size of the backlog as the company runs short on money. I'm encouraged that it has been coming increasingly faster with SB.

Mike

twoner32 Jun 12, 2009 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 11896232)
My guess is that they work off a Google Adsense type model. But I would agree with you; every time I join one of these types of programs, they always seem to go under eventually. I usually track it by how long it takes for me to get a prize after I order it, which is often an indication of the size of the backlog as the company runs short on money. I'm encouraged that it has been coming increasingly faster with SB.

Mike

I made my first order on 6/6/2009....how long will it take? Amazon gift cards

msv Jun 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by twoner32 (Post 11899662)
I made my first order on 6/6/2009....how long will it take? Amazon gift cards

Two months ago it was under a week. Now much closer to two.

aerospace Jun 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by msv (Post 11899872)
Two months ago it was under a week. Now much closer to two.

It now says 6-10 business days. Didn't it used to say something like 3-4 before?

twoner32 Jun 12, 2009 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by aerospace (Post 11899941)
It now says 6-10 business days. Didn't it used to say something like 3-4 before?

Thanks everyone.

Also, how do you guys or others get so many referrals? I noticed someone has earned 125,000 Swagbucks just through referrals...how is that possible!!!!???!!!!!!!!!

mikeef Jun 15, 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by twoner32 (Post 11900866)
Thanks everyone.

Also, how do you guys or others get so many referrals? I noticed someone has earned 125,000 Swagbucks just through referrals...how is that possible!!!!???!!!!!!!!!

FT is a good way to start, but a lot of people have their link on a blog or a high profile site.

I haven't noticed the delay that others did in getting orders shipped, but that's often the first sign a program is going downhill. On the plus side, since the WM at SB controls the rate at which he gives out rewards, this problem is easily fixable.

Mike

twoner32 Jun 16, 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by mikeef (Post 11909502)
FT is a good way to start, but a lot of people have their link on a blog or a high profile site.

I haven't noticed the delay that others did in getting orders shipped, but that's often the first sign a program is going downhill. On the plus side, since the WM at SB controls the rate at which he gives out rewards, this problem is easily fixable.

Mike

I ordered them on 6/7 and no word yet. I emailed them

pgary Jun 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by twoner32 (Post 11900866)

1. Create a website with content very useful to a large number of people.
  2. Maintain that website for years, keeping it up to date at all times, thus gaining a large and loyal readership.
  3. Post the Swagbucks program on that website with full description and suggestions on how to best use it, along with your referral code, of course.