Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Spend $40 Twice On An AMEX At Walmart Or Walmart.com And Get A $20 Statement Credit!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spend $40 Twice On An AMEX At Walmart Or Walmart.com And Get A $20 Statement Credit!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
My credit posted yesterday. I got the second purchase in at 11:53 pm EST on December 18.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's after the New Years and I went to Walmart today thinking I could do some free shopping with my Walmart GC. Well, watch out, you'd better have your GC receipt with you.

My GC did not work. When the cashier asked me if it was activated, I said probably not, thinking "activated" meant calling an 800 number to activate a card. However, at Walmart, "activated" meant if the card had money on it. Fortunately I quickly figured out our misunderstanding and showed her my receipt. Still, she was just standing there and acting lilke she did not know what to do. Another woman came by; I thought she was the supervisor; they put their heads close together and still couldn't figure out what to do. Then that woman walked back to her station. Oh, she was just another cashier.

I started to get more assertive and asked my cashier to get the manager. She started punching some numbers and had to ask the other cashier for help. Finally the manager (or a supervior) came; he worked with my GC for a bit, then told me my card had a bad magnetic strip. Whew. For a while I thought I was going to be stuck at Walmart. I finally escaped Walmart. However, still have a few dollars on the card and I will have to return to Walmart. Darn! What we do to be frugal. I really had nothing against Walmart, but I can see how unpleasant it is if there is ever a problem. I probably spent 20 minutes at that checkout.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
It's after the New Years and I went to Walmart today thinking I could do some free shopping with my Walmart GC. Well, watch out, you'd better have your GC receipt with you.

My GC did not work. When the cashier asked me if it was activated, I said probably not, thinking "activated" meant calling an 800 number to activate a card. However, at Walmart, "activated" meant if the card had money on it. Fortunately I quickly figured out our misunderstanding and showed her my receipt. Still, she was just standing there and acting lilke she did not know what to do. Another woman came by; I thought she was the supervisor; they put their heads close together and still couldn't figure out what to do. Then that woman walked back to her station. Oh, she was just another cashier.

I started to get more assertive and asked my cashier to get the manager. She started punching some numbers and had to ask the other cashier for help. Finally the manager (or a supervior) came; he worked with my GC for a bit, then told me my card had a bad magnetic strip. Whew. For a while I thought I was going to be stuck at Walmart. I finally escaped Walmart. However, still have a few dollars on the card and I will have to return to Walmart. Darn! What we do to be frugal. I really had nothing against Walmart, but I can see how unpleasant it is if there is ever a problem. I probably spent 20 minutes at that checkout.

Take a plastic bag and wrap the CC around it and then swipe it through the CC machine... the bag helps the magnetic strip on your card... works everytime for my CC which suffers from the same issue as yours.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold,WN CP, UAL Premier,HH Diamond, ChoicePriv Dmnd
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
Take a plastic bag and wrap the CC around it and then swipe it through the CC machine... the bag helps the magnetic strip on your card... works everytime for my CC which suffers from the same issue as yours.
I'd recommend wrapping the plastic bag around the CC. It's easier, and doesn't destroy the card.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
...I can see how unpleasant it is if there is ever a problem. I probably spent 20 minutes at that checkout.
One of the ways Wal-Mart cuts costs is by running with the minimum possible staff. When everything works, it's fine, but when you have a problem you do tend to run into delays like this.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
One of the ways Wal-Mart cuts costs is by running with the minimum possible staff. When everything works, it's fine, but when you have a problem you do tend to run into delays like this.
I waited in line for 40 minutes trying to return an item once. The line was only 8 people long. Beware Wal-mart.

I did partake in this offer however, and the $20 posted promptly.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Is this deal still active?

Link page says system is not available, try later....
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Is this deal still active?

Link page says system is not available, try later....
Deal is dead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.