Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

HUGE Savings on eBay With Microsoft Cashback

Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:01 am
Original Poster

(NOTE: I can't take credit with this being my idea, it came from FT'er broadwayblue in Post #177 of this thread, also there's a HUGE thread on SlickDeals with over 4000 posts that explores this in depth at this link - reportedly people are saving hundreds of dollars using this)

Quite possibly one of the best deals of the year: it's possible to get a huge rebate (reportedly 35% a few days ago, currently 25% but subject to change) on your eBay purchases when using live.com search results with select Buy It Now items. Be sure to read the rules at the SlickDeals link above.

That's all that I have for now as I need to do more research, feel free to piggyback on this as it evolves.

Last edited by yanxfann; Jun 23, 2008 at 12:40 pm
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:08 am

Looks really interesting. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:14 am
Original Poster

From reading the two SlickDeals threads (here is the other thread that I didn't reference in my first post) it sounds like possibly the maximum current savings per person could be as much as $850 - three $250 rebates (assuming the rebate remains at 25% and you do the max allowable 3 transactions of up to $1000 each) AND one $100 savings when using the one-time use CJUNE0810P PayPal 10% savings code at checkout.

Last edited by yanxfann; Jun 23, 2008 at 11:45 am
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:09 am
Original Poster

After the Microsoft had been down to only 10% for the past several days last night it went back up to 25%.

Guys I can't emphasize this enough: this is an opportunity to get some great items at a tremendous discount. For example one category that does qualify for the live.com Search cashback is gift certificates, taking that into account I found this auction for $100 worth of American Airlines gift certs that - at least at this moment - qualifies for the 25% cashback, in this case the end cost would be less than $70 (note that I am not endorsing this particular auction or this particular seller as I know nothing about them, I'm just using this auction as an example). This board goes nuts about small time things like free taco day but - in my view at least - many of you are missing the boat by failing to at least look further into this live.com promo.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did a small purchase ($70). Hopefully I get the credit!

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
Hopefully I get the credit!
As soon as you completed the Buy It Now you should have received a message in your eBay My Messages folder looking something like this:

Hi xxxx,
It pays to shop eBay! You've earned US $xx.xx cashback. To get your money:

1. Click the Get cashback button to access or create your Microsoft account.
2. Microsoft will notify you that your cashback is available after 60 days (in case you decide to return your purchase).
Then, simply tell Microsoft which PayPal account you want your cashback sent to!

Conditions apply. Be sure to check them out.

Thank you,
eBay

As long as you received this message and you follow the link you should be OK.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't get the message last night after the purchase but it was in my inbox this morning. Clicked the link, logged into live.com and it shows my $14 waiting for me.

Very nice. Need to figure out if there is anything else we need to buy before this expires.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj

Very nice. Need to figure out if there is anything else we need to buy before this expires.
We've found some very good values on certain gift certificates. If you can find a gift cert to a retailer that you would shop at anyway and if the seller has it priced below face value - these days that isn't always a given as some sellers have caught on to the promo and thus it's common to see say $500 WalMart gift cards with a Buy It Now price of $550 with the premise that both the buyer and the seller make money in the deal - you might want to snap it up.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:12 pm

After lurking in many of the other forums for the past few weeks, I came in here and saw this great deal.

The cashback is at 20% now. I just bought a $200 I-Tunes for Buy it Now of $132.33 before the 20% cashback, which will probably last me over a year in music purchases!

I got the Cashback message in my messages about two minutes after I paid using PayPal, and then I signed up for a cashback account.

I am also thinking about some other things to get with this deal. I really want a DSLR, but I am not confident enough with Ebay sellers to purchase one on there. The other thing I am thinking about is a new portable external hard drive.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Could someone offer a brief step-by-step on this?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:48 am

Doesn't seem to be valid in Australia

Trying various techniques doesn't give the discount link

Aaah... worked it out. Need to switch to the US live search site from within Live Search! Sweet!

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Jul 12, 2008 at 6:00 am
Old Jul 12, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gleff
Could someone offer a brief step-by-step on this?
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/838081/

******** QUICK OVERVIEW ******* (thanks Troop)
People.

1. Go to eBay.com and find an item you want to buy (it MUST have a Buy it now option with paypal)
2. You can get up to $250 per completed item/auction. Pick something $1000+ to get maximum CashBack
3. Add that item to your watch list.
4. go to live search type in cheap pc or try the following links until you see a CashBack link in the gray 'Sponsored Sites' section (refresh a few times if you don't see it)
cheap pc
5. click on the 15% banner (Live Search CashBack)
6. Now you are in eBay go to my eBay and look at items on your watchlist
7. Click on that item
8. Click on 'Buy it now'.
9. Before 'Committing to Buy', be sure the CashBack details are shown on the screen with the proper 10% of the item(s) value
9. check out and pay with Paypal and the CashBack will be yours!

Note: If you do not receive a Cash Back message in your eBay Inbox, contact eBay through chat support. They will manually send the message to you.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bought my second item this morning with the 20% off. About $100 worth. Just can't think of anything high dollar that I need right now.....
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
I think this is an awesome deal and I've read the thread on Slick Deals... I am just too afraid to pull the trigger.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Here are the T&C's:

Terms and Conditions

Your participation in Live Search cashback (the “Program”) on www.eBay.com is subject to the Microsoft Service Agreement terms at http://tou.live.com (the “Program Terms”) and conditions plus the additional terms and conditions below. In the event of a conflict between these additional terms and the Program Terms, the terms below are controlling for your participation in the Program on www.eBay.com.
Additional Purchase Requirements. Your ability to earn cashback rewards (“Cashback Rewards”) from Microsoft for purchases on www.eBay.com is subject to the following additional requirements:

You must successfully complete an eligible purchase on www.eBay.com using “Buy-It-Now” within sixty (60) minutes of clicking on an eBay paid search advertisement marked with the Live Search cashback logo (a “Online Session”);
Cashback Rewards will be applied only to the first eligible item you commit to buy during an Online Session. Cashback Rewards will not be applied to any additional items or purchases. A single listing with multiple items will be considered one item for the purposes of these terms and conditions.
You must pay for the eligible item using your PayPal account within the shorter of thirty (30) days of completing the purchase on www.eBay.com and the time frame specified by the seller;
Only purchases that are completed on www.eBay.com during an Online Session in accordance with the Program Terms as modified by these additional terms are eligible for Cashback Rewards. The following purchases that are completed on www.eBay.com are not eligible for Cashback Rewards (“Excluded eBay Purchases”):

purchases that are completed on www.express.ebay.com or www.half.ebay.com;
purchases of automobiles or other vehicles;
purchases of real estate;
purchases that are completed using a third party checkout system.

If you attempt to complete any of the above Excluded eBay Purchases on www.eBay.com during an Online Session, eBay will notify you on the purchase review page of the “Buy-It-Now” transaction process that the purchase is not eligible. Please review the purchase review page carefully before you “commit to Buy”. eBay may add or remove types of purchases to the list of Excluded eBay Purchases in its sole discretion from time to time. Please review these terms and conditions before you complete a purchase.

eBay does not limit purchases eligible for Cashback Rewards by the purpose for which they are acquired (e.g., purchases acquired for resale). The Cashback Rewards that you are eligible to obtain from Microsoft will be disclosed to you on www.eBay.com and will be equal to a percentage of the final sale price of the first item purchased during an Online Session (excluding shipping and handling fees, insurance fees and other such fees), for up to a maximum of $250.00 per Online Session. Cashback Rewards will be available in your Program account to transfer to your PayPal account approximately sixty (60) days of the date on which you complete your purchase on eBay.com. You must have a PayPal account in order to receive Cashback Rewards for purchases on www.eBay.com. You may not redeem any Cashback Rewards until you have earned a total of $5.00 in Cashback Rewards;
After you complete an eligible purchase, before redeeming your Cashback Rewards, you must go to http://cashbackaccount.search.live.c...k/welcome.aspx and set up a Program account by providing all of the required information (or, if you already have an account, confirm your membership status);
You may receive Cashback Rewards for up to a maximum of three (3) Online Sessions per account on www.ebay.com. Once you have completed three (3) Online Sessions under any eBay.com account, you will no longer be eligible to receive Cashback Rewards for purchases made under such eBay.com account. If you have exceeded the limit of permitted Cashback Rewards, eBay will notify you on the purchase review page of the “Buy-It-Now” transaction process. Please review the purchase review page carefully before you “commit to buy”. Cashback Rewards can not be transferred or applied to multiple eBay.com accounts;
The Program is open only to confirmed registered members of the eBay Site who (a) are legal residents of the United States, (b) are eighteen (18) years of age or older and (c) satisfy the requirements set forth herein and in the Program Terms;
You will not be eligible for Cashback Rewards for purchases on www.eBay.com if your account on www.eBay.com or www.PayPal.com is not in good standing. In order for your accounts to be deemed in good standing, you must not have a hold on either of your accounts and your accounts must not be suspended or past due when you pay for the item(s) you purchase;
eBay may permit you to combine Cashback Rewards with other eBay promotions, coupons, or gift certificates (each, an “eBay Promotion”) and may permit you to receive Cashback Rewards on purchases of gift cards or gift certificates. If eBay elects to do so, you will be provided with an opportunity to combine Cash Back Rewards with the eBay Promotion during the checkout flow on www.eBay.com. With the exception of eBay Promotions as described herein, Cashback Rewards cannot be combined with any other offer on purchases on www.eBay.com.
eBay provides Microsoft with limited information about your eligible purchase (such as the date, time, amount, and item description) when you apply for a Cashback Reward. Microsoft will use this information only to process and manage your Cashback Rewards, and not for any other purpose.

Additional Redemption Requirements. In addition to the redemption requirements in Program Terms, You must redeem Cashback Rewards obtained as a result of a purchase on www.ebay.com exclusively via your PayPal account.
Live Search cashback is a program operated by Microsoft Corporation. Cashback Rewards are funded and paid by Microsoft. Your participation in the Program is subject to the Program Terms as supplemented by these additional terms. Neither eBay nor PayPal have any obligations to you regarding Cashback Rewards or your participation in the Program. You hereby agree to release eBay Inc. and PayPal, Inc. (and their officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with the Program. You will indemnify and hold eBay Inc. and PayPal, Inc. (and their officers, directors, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees), harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of the Program Terms or these additional terms.

Use of www.eBay.com shall be governed by the eBay.com user agreement and privacy policy accessible here (collectively, the “eBay User Agreement”). Use of PayPal.com shall be governed by the PayPal.com user agreement and privacy policy accessible here (collectively, the “PayPal User Agreement”). You will not be eligible to participate in the Program if you fail to comply with the eBay User Agreement or PayPal User Agreement. Any information you provide to Microsoft on any Microsoft websites will be subject to Microsoft’s user agreement and privacy policy. eBay may update these terms from time to time by posting revised terms and conditions on www.eBay.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.