FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   S.P.A.M. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m-2/)
-   -   Free Road Maps of USA and Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m/806891-free-road-maps-usa-canada.html)

galaxy88 Mar 30, 08 2:38 pm

Free Road Maps of USA and Canada

Welcome to Free Road Maps!

Hitting the highway for your next vacation? Traveling on business and need maps for a new territory? Look no further as this website is the home to many State and Provincial links to get FREE ROAD MAPS!

You may be wondering that there is a catch! Who gives away FREE MAPS? Well the government and tourism websites DO! You will never need to buy a map again!

http://freeroadmaps.bravehost.com/

easygoing77 Mar 30, 08 3:30 pm

Thanks. Bookmarked the website, will come handy in future.

fredlisancnc Mar 30, 08 9:00 pm

Recommend a GPS, they're great..,

yw_a330 Mar 30, 08 10:24 pm

Thank you, this will come in very handy for road trips.

bruiserbob Mar 31, 08 8:21 am

great find! will be useful for our vacation this summer!

beckoa Mar 31, 08 8:27 am

Thanks

I had a site about 6 years ago I used... but since then lost it.

It'll be good to update the library of maps we have-

And I enjoy using paper maps since if you do "get lost" (off the main road) you can find some great places to see, do and eat!

sonofzeus Mar 31, 08 9:49 am

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc (Post 9492268)

...only the ones that give realtime traffic reports. The rest are for mental midgets.

beckoa Mar 31, 08 11:45 am

So I think I applied to most states this morning to have a through collection (you never know what state you might MR into) and got most, but ran into another site that "fills in the cracks" a little.
http://nobudgettravel.wordpress.com/...-highway-maps/
The only one that does not work that I found is Georgia (I think) and a quick google yields either a form or an email.

California however is charging for theirs, so if someone has a "way around" this, let me know...

Thanks

spartacus Apr 3, 08 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 9495240)
California however is charging for theirs, so if someone has a "way around" this, let me know...

Thanks

Between the hotel discounts and free maps and tourbooks, AAA is not a bad deal. Throw in the rare flat tire in the rain when I don't want to get soaking wet and the annual fee is worth it. But not free so kind of off the subject of OP. But you did ask for a way around...:D

USCGamecock Apr 4, 08 8:52 am

My thanks as well. This helps me out locally.

beckoa Apr 7, 08 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9513746)
Between the hotel discounts and free maps and tourbooks, AAA is not a bad deal. Throw in the rare flat tire in the rain when I don't want to get soaking wet and the annual fee is worth it. But not free so kind of off the subject of OP. But you did ask for a way around...:D

Who needs a hotel when they can sleep in a car:p

It is inticing slightly, but I got most of the maps I need for all the states...

And changing a flat... piece of cake...

Tourbooks... great source for these (especially new versions) is the library... just make sure you renew the book halfway through your journey :D

Do they still pass them out free at the State Visitor Centers in CA?

wsucougarchick05 Apr 7, 08 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 9534315)
Who needs a hotel when they can sleep in a car:p

It is inticing slightly, but I got most of the maps I need for all the states...

And changing a flat... piece of cake...

Tourbooks... great source for these (especially new versions) is the library... just make sure you renew the book halfway through your journey :D

Do they still pass them out free at the State Visitor Centers in CA?

I hate sleeping in cars.

AAA has saved my butt a few times. Most recently was a few weeks ago when my Grandma's car broke down. The challenge is having them find you when you're in a parking garage at Portland State University in downtown Portland, Oregon!! ;)

jws026 Apr 7, 08 7:53 pm

iphone+at&t roadside assistance = aaa killer.

Sibons Apr 7, 08 8:51 pm

Thank you. I'm sure I'll get great use out of it.

Gargoyle Apr 7, 08 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc (Post 9492268)

A GPS does a better job of getting you where you're going. A paper map does a better job of getting you to understand where you are, and helping you grasp the geography of an area.

bruiserbob Apr 7, 08 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by bruiserbob (Post 9494062)
great find! will be useful for our vacation this summer!

rec'd my Michigan map, wow that was fast! still waiting for some more :D

roadtripman Apr 7, 08 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 9535274)
A GPS does a better job of getting you where you're going. A paper map does a better job of getting you to understand where you are, and helping you grasp the geography of an area.

I agree with this. I just used my new Garmin Nuvi 250 on my recent trip to Vancouver Island. I have never been as clueless as to where I was before. WIth a road map, you are forced into getting to know the area and its main streets. I know how to get around towns like Miami, Denver, Dallas, and the like because I used a road map, and I'll always remember the basic layout of town now. But using a GPS, you're just told what to do and you don't even know what side of town you're on, nevermind having an idea of the city's layout.

From now on, I'm going to be using mine to find obscure locations, or to get out of a rut when lost. Otherwise, I love my road atlas.

bruiserbob Apr 13, 08 10:30 am

still waiting for illinois, taking a trip to Michigan and Chicago in about a month, come on mail man bring me my map :D

bruiserbob Apr 16, 08 6:40 pm

i was to thinking about getting a gps, I have never been lost before with a paper map. If you have a gps, probably best to have a paper map as a back up in the glovebox.... still waiting for illinois. :(

bhatnasx Apr 17, 08 12:07 pm

GPS is for suckers (unless you're a city you don't know - but state maps don't go to that kind of detail) - whatever happened to the good ol' days of ending up where you end up? I drove cross-country & back over the course of 2 months when I was in college & navigated by highways signs & rest areas. We had a AAA map of the US so we could figure things out, but mostly, we asked locals for ideas & cool places to go.

One thing I recommend if ever doing a cross-country roadtrip is to follow the dotted roads - which are generally the scenic routes - much more interesting than highways & less crowded - there are some sights that I saw in Colorado that were just amazing because I stayed off highways!

beckoa Apr 18, 08 5:43 am

Very true... and much more fun!

Originally Posted by roadtripman (Post 9535679)
I agree with this. I just used my new Garmin Nuvi 250 on my recent trip to Vancouver Island. I have never been as clueless as to where I was before. WIth a road map, you are forced into getting to know the area and its main streets. I know how to get around towns like Miami, Denver, Dallas, and the like because I used a road map, and I'll always remember the basic layout of town now. But using a GPS, you're just told what to do and you don't even know what side of town you're on, nevermind having an idea of the city's layout.

From now on, I'm going to be using mine to find obscure locations, or to get out of a rut when lost. Otherwise, I love my road atlas.

I had some fun driving my friends manual Jeep in the streets of SEA last year... knowing roughly where stuff was... but not the exits/ road structures. I knew what direction I was headed, (the right one :D) not necessarily the interstate... but we made it to the Thai place and then SEA itself!

Originally Posted by bhatnasx (Post 9590122)
GPS is for suckers (unless you're a city you don't know - but state maps don't go to that kind of detail) - whatever happened to the good ol' days of ending up where you end up? I drove cross-country & back over the course of 2 months when I was in college & navigated by highways signs & rest areas. We had a AAA map of the US so we could figure things out, but mostly, we asked locals for ideas & cool places to go.

One thing I recommend if ever doing a cross-country roadtrip is to follow the dotted roads - which are generally the scenic routes - much more interesting than highways & less crowded - there are some sights that I saw in Colorado that were just amazing because I stayed off highways!

Scenic routes are interesting... especially highways 101 and 1 along Northern California/ Oregon Coast.

Never really have used a GPS yet... gimmee a compass and a map! I actually carry a compass in my messenger bag whenever traveling (and have been known to break it out even on an airplane!)

It will be sad to see everyone using a gps 20 years from now... relying upon it to navigate for convenience sake... now lets hope the satellites don't fail :rolleyes:

bruiserbob Apr 23, 08 6:40 am

finally got Illinois. crazy mail- :)

BigFishDave Apr 28, 08 1:20 pm

I remember as a kid the gas stations had a whole rack of almost all the states (free). I bet they didn't like me coming in and trying to get all 50 states!
Good site, thanks.

porkchop922 May 20, 08 12:36 pm

The kiddo's are about out of school, time for those summer vacations. :cool:

bruiserbob May 25, 08 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by porkchop922 (Post 9752962)
The kiddo's are about out of school, time for those summer vacations. :cool:

exactly! now is the time to plan and book hotels! the maps help out a lot!!!

ejross May 26, 08 3:14 am

Thanks. This will come in handy.

mapsmith May 26, 08 9:26 am

And for places like California, Georgia, and Arizona which don't have free maps, don't forget your locally owned Map Retailer (like me) When I travel, mapwife hates it because I don't usually take the maps that I need. I prefer to pick them up locally.

One of the best examples. Maryland has a free State Tourism Map, but Arrow (ADC) maps are much better and usually have more information particularly for the cities than the State Map. For Northwest US, the GM Johnson Maps are greatly superior to the free ones from Washington or Oregon.

bruiserbob Jun 15, 08 4:09 pm

got back from my road trip! going to get some more maps, going to head out east this fall!!!

bruiserbob Jun 29, 08 5:06 am

got my quebec and new brunswick maps, still waiting for Nova Scotia

probably going in early october for a couple weeks

Madhouse24 Jul 7, 08 7:02 am

I mostly agree with this ^ but with a roadmap you can find various alternative routes when traffic has come to a snarl...or there's an accident.....:D

mullins Jul 7, 08 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Madhouse24 (Post 9992666)
I mostly agree with this ^ but with a roadmap you can find various alternative routes when traffic has come to a snarl...or there's an accident.....:D

Thats exactly it. A GPS just can't deal with road works or diversions, while a map really gives you a feel for the place. ^

bruiserbob Jul 27, 08 9:30 am

my nova scotia map came in, im thinking on getting a gps for this trip, any suggestion on best, reliable brand/model?

bruiserbob Aug 7, 08 10:16 pm

i think Ill hold off on the gps, Ill use my maps to guide me!

bruiserbob Aug 26, 08 6:57 pm

ah, found this great post! im going to bookmark it! ordering up some maps for a fall getaway! cheers!^

bruiserbob Oct 12, 08 6:19 am

i had a great road trip! This is a great site! Im going to use it for my next trip!

Planning to fly out to western canada, rent a car and explore the rockys and then fly back! :)

all the best

biggestbopper Oct 12, 08 9:17 am

AAA doesn't provide much beyond what you get with most insurance policies--which provide free road service as part of the policy hidden away in the small print. Plus, when I have really needed triple A service, they have not come through because they were overloaded--think snowstorm in Chicago.

And, they take your money and lobby like crazy for more and more and more roads--which is not a solution to our problems.

Their maps are excellent.

bruiserbob Nov 1, 08 7:13 pm

[quote}

Their maps are excellent.[/QUOTE]

I don't find their maps excellent. They usually are smaller and show less cities and towns than a provincial or state map would show. Just my opinion!

all the best

Jeeves Nov 7, 08 2:53 pm

bruiserbob, you seem crazy about these maps. What has gotten a hold of you. :D

wsucougarchick05 Nov 7, 08 7:27 pm

My AAA membership pays for itself every year. I usually take advantage of the free tows at least once a year.

I'd rather pay for the yearly fee every year than pay for the hook fee and the per mileage charges each time I need a tow, since I usually have my car towed to my regular mechanic (he loves me...lol).

bruiserbob Nov 16, 08 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Jeeves (Post 10678976)
bruiserbob, you seem crazy about these maps. What has gotten a hold of you. :D

maybe i was a cartographer in a previous life :D