FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   S.P.A.M. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m-2/)
-   -   Free Road Maps of USA and Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m/806891-free-road-maps-usa-canada.html)

bruiserbob Apr 7, 2008 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by bruiserbob (Post 9494062)
great find! will be useful for our vacation this summer!

rec'd my Michigan map, wow that was fast! still waiting for some more :D

roadtripman Apr 7, 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 9535274)
A GPS does a better job of getting you where you're going. A paper map does a better job of getting you to understand where you are, and helping you grasp the geography of an area.

I agree with this. I just used my new Garmin Nuvi 250 on my recent trip to Vancouver Island. I have never been as clueless as to where I was before. WIth a road map, you are forced into getting to know the area and its main streets. I know how to get around towns like Miami, Denver, Dallas, and the like because I used a road map, and I'll always remember the basic layout of town now. But using a GPS, you're just told what to do and you don't even know what side of town you're on, nevermind having an idea of the city's layout.

From now on, I'm going to be using mine to find obscure locations, or to get out of a rut when lost. Otherwise, I love my road atlas.

bruiserbob Apr 13, 2008 10:30 am

still waiting for illinois, taking a trip to Michigan and Chicago in about a month, come on mail man bring me my map :D

bruiserbob Apr 16, 2008 6:40 pm

i was to thinking about getting a gps, I have never been lost before with a paper map. If you have a gps, probably best to have a paper map as a back up in the glovebox.... still waiting for illinois. :(

bhatnasx Apr 17, 2008 12:07 pm

GPS is for suckers (unless you're a city you don't know - but state maps don't go to that kind of detail) - whatever happened to the good ol' days of ending up where you end up? I drove cross-country & back over the course of 2 months when I was in college & navigated by highways signs & rest areas. We had a AAA map of the US so we could figure things out, but mostly, we asked locals for ideas & cool places to go.

One thing I recommend if ever doing a cross-country roadtrip is to follow the dotted roads - which are generally the scenic routes - much more interesting than highways & less crowded - there are some sights that I saw in Colorado that were just amazing because I stayed off highways!

beckoa Apr 18, 2008 5:43 am

A GPS does a better job of getting you where you're going. A paper map does a better job of getting you to understand where you are, and helping you grasp the geography of an area.

Very true... and much more fun!

Originally Posted by roadtripman (Post 9535679)
I agree with this. I just used my new Garmin Nuvi 250 on my recent trip to Vancouver Island. I have never been as clueless as to where I was before. WIth a road map, you are forced into getting to know the area and its main streets. I know how to get around towns like Miami, Denver, Dallas, and the like because I used a road map, and I'll always remember the basic layout of town now. But using a GPS, you're just told what to do and you don't even know what side of town you're on, nevermind having an idea of the city's layout.

From now on, I'm going to be using mine to find obscure locations, or to get out of a rut when lost. Otherwise, I love my road atlas.

I had some fun driving my friends manual Jeep in the streets of SEA last year... knowing roughly where stuff was... but not the exits/ road structures. I knew what direction I was headed, (the right one :D) not necessarily the interstate... but we made it to the Thai place and then SEA itself!

Originally Posted by bhatnasx (Post 9590122)
GPS is for suckers (unless you're a city you don't know - but state maps don't go to that kind of detail) - whatever happened to the good ol' days of ending up where you end up? I drove cross-country & back over the course of 2 months when I was in college & navigated by highways signs & rest areas. We had a AAA map of the US so we could figure things out, but mostly, we asked locals for ideas & cool places to go.

One thing I recommend if ever doing a cross-country roadtrip is to follow the dotted roads - which are generally the scenic routes - much more interesting than highways & less crowded - there are some sights that I saw in Colorado that were just amazing because I stayed off highways!

Scenic routes are interesting... especially highways 101 and 1 along Northern California/ Oregon Coast.

Never really have used a GPS yet... gimmee a compass and a map! I actually carry a compass in my messenger bag whenever traveling (and have been known to break it out even on an airplane!)

It will be sad to see everyone using a gps 20 years from now... relying upon it to navigate for convenience sake... now lets hope the satellites don't fail :rolleyes:

bruiserbob Apr 23, 2008 6:40 am

finally got Illinois. crazy mail- :)

BigFishDave Apr 28, 2008 1:20 pm

I remember as a kid the gas stations had a whole rack of almost all the states (free). I bet they didn't like me coming in and trying to get all 50 states!
Good site, thanks.

porkchop922 May 20, 2008 12:36 pm

The kiddo's are about out of school, time for those summer vacations. :cool:

bruiserbob May 25, 2008 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by porkchop922 (Post 9752962)
The kiddo's are about out of school, time for those summer vacations. :cool:

exactly! now is the time to plan and book hotels! the maps help out a lot!!!

ejross May 26, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks. This will come in handy.

mapsmith May 26, 2008 9:26 am

And for places like California, Georgia, and Arizona which don't have free maps, don't forget your locally owned Map Retailer (like me) When I travel, mapwife hates it because I don't usually take the maps that I need. I prefer to pick them up locally.

One of the best examples. Maryland has a free State Tourism Map, but Arrow (ADC) maps are much better and usually have more information particularly for the cities than the State Map. For Northwest US, the GM Johnson Maps are greatly superior to the free ones from Washington or Oregon.

bruiserbob Jun 15, 2008 4:09 pm

got back from my road trip! going to get some more maps, going to head out east this fall!!!

bruiserbob Jun 29, 2008 5:06 am

got my quebec and new brunswick maps, still waiting for Nova Scotia

probably going in early october for a couple weeks

Madhouse24 Jul 7, 2008 7:02 am

I mostly agree with this ^ but with a roadmap you can find various alternative routes when traffic has come to a snarl...or there's an accident.....:D