Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Live Search Club/Bing -earn up to 2500 miles on various airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live Search Club/Bing -earn up to 2500 miles on various airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by lili
In better news, there's a nice new two-player game that could be good, but it's as buggy as Picture This. Too bad.
And because you know who your partner is, and can reject invitations I think it might get clicky... ie people just wanting to play with those who they know. Could come in handy though if you know people on LSC.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
And because you know who your partner is, and can reject invitations I think it might get clicky... ie people just wanting to play with those who they know. Could come in handy though if you know people on LSC.
I think this is happening already. On a few occassions I have tried playing, and although there were at least 7 players, everyone turned me down.

Just now I entered the "corral", over a dozen there. And on the chat side of the board people were entering that they wanted to play. When I offered, they turned me down. Then someone else wrote on the message board "Oh, I get it now. Does anyone want to play?"

Ok, can someone explain this to me? Am I just dense? Or didn't I get enough sleep last night?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
So, people are electing to sit around and not earn points rather than play a game with someone new? Perhaps I'll need to train myself to not be disoriented by the Word Slugger screen.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:11 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Looks like their clock is still broken.... It still has not reset me for the day.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by icurhere2
So, people are electing to sit around and not earn points rather than play a game with someone new? Perhaps I'll need to train myself to not be disoriented by the Word Slugger screen.
I just played two of the cowboy duel games and it was excruciatingly sl-o-o-ow.
I think you could rack up decent points if both players just went for the easiest and quickest words and didn't drag it our for their full 50 seconds or whatever.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond; HHonors-Silver, Marriott- Gold
I just played two of the cowboy duel games and it was excruciatingly sl-o-o-ow.
I think you could rack up decent points if both players just went for the easiest and quickest words and didn't drag it our for their full 50 seconds or whatever.
Good point lili. I wonder if the nbr of pts is awarded regardless. So if you win, you still get the 18-20 pts, even if your words are small ones. I'd be interested in playing with you and we can give it a try. PM me if interested.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by abezebabe
Good point lili. I wonder if the nbr of pts is awarded regardless. So if you win, you still get the 18-20 pts, even if your words are small ones. I'd be interested in playing with you and we can give it a try. PM me if interested.
There are some other things to take into consideration, but until this 10 minute game is pared down to less than 3 minutes it's not worth it.

1. I'm assuming the letters have values more or less like scrabble letters. So FOX would be more valuable than SAILOR.

2. I'm not sure it really is a duel although the top scorer does get bonus points, but don't both players get points? I don't care how many points my partner gets or who wins as long as I get at least 20 points.

3. To play a 3-4 letter word you have to download 6-7 (?) letters, so what is the strategy for trashing letters? I've been leaving the Q, X, J whatever I think is a high value letter on the board until someone can use it. But then it is nice to get them out of the way hoping something useful will come along.

4. Minimum score seems to be 100 per word, so you should get about 800 points per game, which might (?) be 18 points.

I haven't had the patience to play much, but we should work on answering these and other questions if we want to score some points on this thing. Judging by the level of posts to the message screen we aren't likely to get many good partners so maybe we'll just have to stick with the chickens.

I'm willing to play with FTers because they are smarter than the average dog, but have to open the wine and watch the Olympics right now. Oh, and dinner.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond; HHonors-Silver, Marriott- Gold
There are some other things to take into consideration, but until this 10 minute game is pared down to less than 3 minutes it's not worth it.

1. I'm assuming the letters have values more or less like scrabble letters. So FOX would be more valuable than SAILOR.

2. I'm not sure it really is a duel although the top scorer does get bonus points, but don't both players get points? I don't care how many points my partner gets or who wins as long as I get at least 20 points.

3. To play a 3-4 letter word you have to download 6-7 (?) letters, so what is the strategy for trashing letters? I've been leaving the Q, X, J whatever I think is a high value letter on the board until someone can use it. But then it is nice to get them out of the way hoping something useful will come along.

4. Minimum score seems to be 100 per word, so you should get about 800 points per game, which might (?) be 18 points.

I haven't had the patience to play much, but we should work on answering these and other questions if we want to score some points on this thing. Judging by the level of posts to the message screen we aren't likely to get many good partners so maybe we'll just have to stick with the chickens.

I'm willing to play with FTers because they are smarter than the average dog, but have to open the wine and watch the Olympics right now. Oh, and dinner.

The answers to your questions (as I believe) are:

1. Yes each letter has a point value. If you hover over the letter, it will display the point value.

2. I agree, it isn't really a duel, per se. Yes, each player gets points, I believe the winner may be awarded more points, but I'm not sure to what degree. I tried to play with my daughter long distance to try to figure the answer to this, but her cell phone died (no charger with her) and she doesn't have internet capability at home. Oh well...

3. It is my understanding you have to download all the letters for that segment. So the first 2 words are up to 5 letters, etc. Because we tend to be competitive creatures, I always try to use the letters that will maximize points. But I like your theory. If we're going to get points anyway, let's just fly thru the darned things. My problem with that is, the other person is utilizing all their time, so what did I accomplish by lessening my time. I want both to go fast. That's why the offer to partner with a fter.

4. I'm kinda lost on this one. First, I'm kinda tired and therefore my capacity to think is diminished.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum 1MM, HiltonHHonors Silver, Continental OnePass
Looks like the day now starts over at 3 a.m. ET, 2 a.m. CT.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:08 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by ntexas12
Looks like the day now starts over at 3 a.m. ET, 2 a.m. CT.
As long as it stays there, that's cool. We can work with a non-moving rollover time.

Steve B.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by sbagdon
As long as it stays there, that's cool. We can work with a non-moving rollover time.

Steve B.
my new day didnt start at 3am. on one account, i got 1000 points around midnight, and as of 11:45am edt, i still get the pop up about exceeding the limit. but on my main account, it seemed like it reset around that time.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Don't know about anyone else, but 2,500 more DL miles have credited to my SM account today (after a separate account update last Wednesday).
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know about anyone else, but 2,500 more DL miles have credited to my SM account today (after a separate account update last Wednesday).
2500 in my son's account also. Two in one week.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS 100k, AA MM, HH Dia

I'm trying to keep track of how long on average it takes for the miles to post-- When did you request these 2500?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:36 pm

2500 in my DL today too. I'm not sure if I was owed it or not, since lately I have kept horrible records.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.