Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

The annual tax software discounts thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The annual tax software discounts thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:45 pm

What is up with ShopMyWayMall (Marriott Rewards Mall)? You can use the site to purchase TurboTax Online and also earn reward points. However there is no download version available through this offer. Linking TurboTax using PNC Bank and Chase, you get the same price offer for the online version along with the ability to purchase the download version at the same discount.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Keep in mind that often the prices online and in a warehouse aren't the same. Online is more expensive, particularly if they're including "free" shipping.
In this case they are exactly the same. Much of what they sell online is NOT available in the warehouse. I think their free shipping is a great plus.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I haven't looked in the warehouse, but quicken is $64.99 online with "free" shipping and it's $59.99 in the warehouse. Last year, the was the same for Turbo Tax. The next time I go I'll look

I know that many items aren't carried in both locations, but for those items that are, free shipping often isn't.

Still, I ordered both from Amazon for $110, which is about the same or slightly less as Costco.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold,Marriott, US,AA.DL, AGR, Hyatt
Turbotax

There are several places that offer discounts.
AAA gives 25%
Fidelity gives 25%
Vanguard gives it for free to some clients, others 25%.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As noted above, link to Vanguard discounts for turbotax:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...r/qdi/turbotax
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
1/12/11 only - H&R Block 50% off at Amazon

50% off select H&R Block At Home tax software & downloads for PC
Old Jan 12, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL, BA
Originally Posted by Frenchie Flyer
This is not a service I have used, but found on SD thanks to inthepros and has various options from free to $11.90.
$11.90 for TAXACT 2010 Online E-filing for BOTH STATE AND FEDERAL TAx
(Note that the landing page says $17.95, but after you log in by creating an account it says $11.90). You only pay when you use the account to file.
https://www.taxactonline.com/s_onlin...sc=07103051103

They have a free version for federal tax form and e-filing (on-line, download, or CD-ROM):
http://www.taxact.com/taxes-online/free-online-tax.asp

This year tax filing deadline is April 18 due to the Friday the 15th Washington, DC holiday. Supposedly the IRS will issue all the new rules for filing on Jan. 10, 2011...so maybe wait to download after that date.
Just a FYI, if you open an account and file with TaxACT, do NOT lock in a rate for next year, as you won't be able to pay less when this promotion comes around again. This happened to me and I got "locked in" to the standard price. To get around this, l started a new account to be eligible for the lowest price later on. For me, there was no difference in the return between this and turbotax (free, federal only) -- I wasn't able to compare state returns.

You can download a PDF for your records or pay some extra cash (i think like $9) to gain e-access to the files for the next few years. You can also pay to gain access later on, so no need to do it right when you're filing.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Vanguard/Turbotax

I've used Vanguard for 5 years, Only fees I pay are when I file online. The catch is you have to have a Vanguard account to get it free. I don't know what they do for people without accounts?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: Any and All
25% off TurboTax if you're a CapitalOne customer:

25% off TT for CapOne Link
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Virginia also has an iFile program for free, online filing of the state return.
Goodbye, Virginia's iFile program - killed by our current governor. You will be missed.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Rampo
Goodbye, Virginia's iFile program - killed by our current governor. You will be missed.
Seriously? That sux ... I thought VA had it right. Easy website and no middle man. What a disappointment
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: Any and All
Has anyone looked into TaxSlayer.com? Price looks good...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 1:21 pm

TurboTax gives 20 CO miles/$ if using CO credit cards through the CO portal. The list prices through the CO portal are: $29.95 (600 miles) for Delux, $49.95 (1000 miles) for Premier, $74.95 (1500 miles) for Home&Business. State product is another $36.95 (740 miles).
I am wondering whether there are another $/%-off TurboTax deal better than this one for people without Vanguard accounts, or if there is any way to "double-dip" these deals. Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by MilesDavis11
Has anyone looked into TaxSlayer.com? Price looks good...
I have used TaxSlayer.com for years. Very easy to use, issues prompts just like other software packages, can file multiple states and saves your returns from previous years so that you can retrieve them for a nominal fee in later years if you can no longer find the hard copies. I will use them again this year and will file two state returns along with my federal return. I used TurboTax before and have never looked back since I switched.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
TurboTax gives 20 CO miles/$ if using CO credit cards through the CO portal. The list prices through the CO portal are: $29.95 (600 miles) for Delux, $49.95 (1000 miles) for Premier, $74.95 (1500 miles) for Home&Business. State product is another $36.95 (740 miles).
I am wondering whether there are another $/%-off TurboTax deal better than this one for people without Vanguard accounts, or if there is any way to "double-dip" these deals. Thanks!
The problem I have found with all the FF and point mall portals is that it is only for TurboTax Online. There is no option to get the points for the download version. I was able to buy the download version for 25% off through a link on our banks website. Will take the $$ savings over points any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.