Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Gas: Ways to save $

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gas: Ways to save $

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:06 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Like I was saying--not worth the discount to me. Here's a little glimpse of what you give up when you use Speedpass and other products that incorporate RFID technology:

Why Some People Put
These Credit Cards
In the Microwave
Mr. Walker Took a Hammer
To His New MasterCard --
To Stop the Radio Waves
By SUSAN WARREN
April 10, 2006; Page A1

When Brenden Walker got his new MasterCard PayPass ATM card in the mail last month, he headed to the gas station to try it out.

To test the card's "Tap N Go" convenience, he passed it in front of the scanner, which activated with a beep and displayed the word "authorizing..." on its LCD screen.

That was quite enough for Mr. Walker. Without completing the transaction, he put the card down on the pavement and took a hammer to it.

"I gave it a couple of good whacks," he says.

The PayPass card, which contains an embedded radio chip, had worked perfectly. Other companies have their own versions: Exxon (SpeedPass), American Express (ExpressPay) and Visa (Contactless and Blink). In each case, the cards use an embedded electronic chip with miniature antenna...

Click for the rest of it.
Old May 3, 2006, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Gas Mileage Guide: A Pamphlet of Tips

Hopefully some of the guidelines are useful:
http://www.gaspricealert.com/GPA%20M...et%20Guide.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.