Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Any points for contact lens purchases?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

It's time to buy new contact lenses for DH, and we're ordering them online - it's way cheaper than the dr.'s office (by almost 60%). Does anyone know of any portals to earn points or miles when we buy them? I know drugstore.com partners with visiondirect.com, and MyPoints has a drugstore.com offer right now, but I doubt visiondirect.com qualifies. Likewise, DH has to be difficult, and wears rigid glass permeables, and 1-800-contacts doesn't carry those. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm cheap, and if I can get anything out of shelling out the money for them, I'd be happier. Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:55 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
try here

Originally Posted by kipper
It's time to buy new contact lenses for DH, and we're ordering them online - it's way cheaper than the dr.'s office (by almost 60%). Does anyone know of any portals to earn points or miles when we buy them? I know drugstore.com partners with visiondirect.com, and MyPoints has a drugstore.com offer right now, but I doubt visiondirect.com qualifies. Likewise, DH has to be difficult, and wears rigid glass permeables, and 1-800-contacts doesn't carry those. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm cheap, and if I can get anything out of shelling out the money for them, I'd be happier. Thanks!
http://www.andrewcram.com/frequentflyerCi.html
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! Now, I just have to figure out which one is the best deal.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:29 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
I know this goes against all the rules of earning points, but we have found that Costco has the best prices for my wife's contacts.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:54 pm

1-800-Contacts is no longer on the new mypoints.com website. But it is on the United Mileage Plus Mall now. Hope that gives you a new option.

Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:03 am
Original Poster

We don't have a Costco membership, so that's probably out, unless we buy one. Do you know if Costco carries the rigid gas permeables? Your suggestion made me think about Sam's Club, but I just checked, and they only carry disposables. Since he wears the rigid gas permeables, we're limited in our options.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: Various
There is a program that I haven't seen mentioned yet here. I don't use it often as there is so much SPAM on their website and so much junk/info to sort through it takes time. They are a partner in POINTS.COM so you can exchange into other FF programs from the credits you earn from them.

As far as the eyecare companies that are in partnership:

Vision Direct
1-800-Contacts

Click here for sign up to on-line Mall (Gives me a referal credit)
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
We don't have a Costco membership, so that's probably out, unless we buy one. Do you know if Costco carries the rigid gas permeables? Your suggestion made me think about Sam's Club, but I just checked, and they only carry disposables. Since he wears the rigid gas permeables, we're limited in our options.
Give your nearest Costco vision center a call. I have found that they have a greater variety than Sam's Club. I would also call Walmart Vision Center. I have found that they also have economical prices and can often get a variety of different contact lenses. BTW, these vision centers are run by independent optical companies (Vision Centers in Sam's and Walmart are not necessarily run by the same company!)

Honestly, Walmart, Sam's Club, and Costco have the cheapest contact lenses, if they carry your brand. I would just charge it on a mileage/points earning credit card.

Last edited by formeraa; Aug 18, 2005 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robt760
There is a program that I haven't seen mentioned yet here. I don't use it often as there is so much SPAM on their website and so much junk/info to sort through it takes time. They are a partner in POINTS.COM so you can exchange into other FF programs from the credits you earn from them.

As far as the eyecare companies that are in partnership:

Vision Direct
1-800-Contacts

Click here for sign up to on-line Mall (Gives me a referal credit)
I tried phonehog when I was in college and received a ton of SPAM, so I've stayed away from it, but thank you anyway.

I'll call Sam's Club and see what they say, or since I have to stop there next week, I'll ask then. Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2005, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsm
I know this goes against all the rules of earning points, but we have found that Costco has the best prices for my wife's contacts.
Same here! Can't beat the optometric department at Costco!
Old Aug 22, 2005, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

I tried to order tires from Sam's Club this morning, and found out our membership is expired. We'll be going there tomorrow to renew it, so I'll ask then about the contact lenses.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 4:56 pm

sams club is excellent!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Too bad that 1-800-Contacts won't work for you. They are offering double MP miles (6 miles/$ vs. the usual 3 miles) through September 30.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loomis
Too bad that 1-800-Contacts won't work for you. They are offering double MP miles (6 miles/$ vs. the usual 3 miles) through September 30.
That's the sort of luck I have. At least I can get some sort of credit through visiondirect.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.