Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Free four year subsriptions to Maxim and Stuff magazines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold

http://www.discountmags.com/subscriptions.php
Old May 18, 2004, 9:32 am

Thumbs up Groovy

My wife thanks you in advance!
Old May 18, 2004, 12:01 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Talking

Thanks

With all the offers for Stuff that I have gotten, my current subscription ends on 2006, this will bring it up all the way to 2010

Wife is going to be

Old May 18, 2004, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Some caution...

Just a warning, posted from HotDealsClub.com...

They claim that if you fill out the form, you can get a free 4 year subscription to Maxim Magazine and Stuff Magazine. Sounds like a great deal, and free subscription deals have appeared for these two magazines in the past. HOWEVER, I have never heard of DiscountMags.com. A whois search on their domain reveals that they are not a real company, just a website hosted on a shared server with other websites.

I find it highly likely that this may be a scam to collect personal information about people. Choose to fill out your personal information only after you understand that I find this deal extremely risky.

Just passing the information along... good luck.
Old May 18, 2004, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Signed up despite the warning. Just a mailing address afterall.
Old May 18, 2004, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by infinityplusone
Just a warning, posted from HotDealsClub.com...
It's good to proceed with a modicum of caution, especially when a deal seems too good to be true. However, the enrollment form calls for very little personal informaton, and certainly nothing that isn't readily available via public channels. That said, if you want to be both cautious in avoiding further dissemination of your personal information and bold in potentially getting two free magazines for four years, you could always use your real mailing address coupled with a pseudonym.
Old May 18, 2004, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I have a PO box...for some reason that tends to make me less worried about giving out my address. I do use bogus names or derivatives of my real name at times.
Old May 18, 2004, 9:54 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
The site says offer full until next week.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:11 am

There is a thread on Fatwallet about this. Here is a reply posted today:

Quote[Stolen from AT
CheapArse said
"Has anyone recieved their mags? I just got a disturbing phone call in which they said I had signed up for maxim, stuff, us weekly, espn, fhm and that it would be $3.xx per week per mag...once I explained I didn't sign up for that, the lady continued to argue with me, then she hung up on me"....

Lets all keep an eye on this!]

Hey I got this call yesterday from a rude woman. She said they were going to give me a $3.xx rate for my subscription to Stuff mag since I was a valued existing customer. (I have never received anything from them yet) I said I don't even have a paid subscription to Stuff mag and then she just hung up.

This is very fishy.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HawaiiBound
Hey I got this call yesterday from a rude woman....
I use a fake name when signing up for anything "free" and a fake email address. Only a mailing address is needed to receive anything "free". Otherwise, I know it's bogus.

Just received an email from Nigeria for a bank account number request using the fake name.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 2:09 pm

This Site Is Down Now!! Fishy.

This is what posted on the site.

"Please come back next week.

We are working on major site updates."

Too good to be true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.