Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

AT&T: The customer is always lying!

Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Gold Passport Diamond, Starwood Gold, Leaders Club

There's a good reason why I hardly ever change my telephone compay points/miles programs. It's because they always seem to get screwed up, and then take months to get them working as promised.

When MCI stopped paying miles for service, I went shopping for a new home long distance carrier. Prompted by a link from the Marriott Rewards site, I signed up this March for long distance service with AT&T. The representative PROMISED me that my MR number was in their system, and my points would be credited within a few months. Two weeks later, AT&T called again, and I swtiched my local service over to them, receiving the same promise that my number was in the system, and I would receive MR points for my total monthly bill with AT&T.

I decided to call AT&T today and ask when my MR points would begin showing up. They now claim to have no record of my signing up for the MR program, and refuse to retroactively credit my account. I even asked for a supervisor, only to have the same line repeated to me. To top if off, they were both EXTREMELY dismissive and rude!

Do any of you have a phone or fax number where I can appeal this to a higher level? Or insight to share from your own experience with AT&T?

Much thanks,

Brian

------------------
Brian
Old Jul 12, 2003, 3:19 pm

This is discouraging I just came back from the AT&T store...trying to decide if we should get our new cell phone service with them to get miles...

Good luck. Hope you get your miles.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 9:15 am

Programs: UA *G
We wanted to get in-state long distance only..but they didn't have that...and the salesman was Pushy about switching all of our telecom over to ATT>
If they are rude, pull the plug on ATT immediately!
-JBLU.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 9:17 am

Programs: UA *G
E-mail me at [email protected]
If you are thinking about a new cell phone.
I can give you some suggestions.
-JBLU
Old Jul 13, 2003, 5:04 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Totally agree with ATT service. I had the EXACT same problem earlier this year. Called them, promised I'm on ATT plan. A month later, nope. No miles, no change. Was promised by manager this time. Again, nothing. I finally gave up.

I will NEVER switch to ATT again. Never.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:33 pm

In spite of all of the great mile and freebies offered by the various long distance companies, I have cancelled all long distance services. I use phone cards to make my long distnce calls. At $.0347 per minute, no over head, no taxes, no expiration of phone card, and I can charge the fee to my credit card whenever i want to recharge my card. I did this 3 years ago.
Up until then, I had to put up with 20% overhead on taxes, minimum fees, etc And they can and did changed the rules whenever they feel like it without advanced notice.

Good riddance.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sonofliberty:
Do any of you have a phone or fax number where I can appeal this to a higher level? Or insight to share from your own experience with AT&T?</font>
Executive Complaint Department
AT&T
1100 Walnut Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64106

I have used this office to clear up two complaints with AT&T; one regarding a long distance charge, the other regarding my internet service. Both were resolved mostly to my satisfaction; I got the refund/credit I was asking for, but the amount simply appeared on an invoice several months later. I never got a written apology (nor a note of any kind) for either.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Gold Passport Diamond, Starwood Gold, Leaders Club
Thanks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mehdron:
Executive Complaint Department
AT&T
1100 Walnut Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64106

I have used this office to clear up two complaints with AT&T; one regarding a long distance charge, the other regarding my internet service. Both were resolved mostly to my satisfaction; I got the refund/credit I was asking for, but the amount simply appeared on an invoice several months later. I never got a written apology (nor a note of any kind) for either.
</font>
Old Jul 16, 2003, 9:22 pm

I'm with Faye. I used to switch for AT&T's check incentives and for miles. Switched to MCI just before 9-11, and asked for the international plan. After 9-11 we made lots of oversees calls to reassure family, and got a $150 bill. No record of the international plan request! No recourse! Now I've canceled long distance service and use OneSuite exclusively. Very cheap, and very convenient.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:28 pm

I was discouraged by all the negativity, so we have got new cell phones thru another plan and forfeited the miles because I was skeptical about AT&T after all these posts
Old Jul 17, 2003, 1:50 am

Some may consider these sites helpful...

www.noatt.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/abusedbyattws/
Old Jul 17, 2003, 7:43 am

Just an FYI: AT&T (the long distance company - stock symbol 'T') is seperate from AT&T Wireless (the cellular company - stock symbol 'AWE').
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You'll save a lot of $ if you just use a discount LD service. There are a number listed here: http://abtolls.com/compare/rateshome.html

I use KissLD (Covista), 3c/minute, 6 second billing, $3/mo (until you refer someone, then free!). http://www.kissld.com
Old Jul 17, 2003, 1:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ALadyNCal:
This is discouraging I just came back from the AT&T store...trying to decide if we should get our new cell phone service with them to get miles...
</font>
What did they tell you in shop regarding miles?
I went to the AT&T shop and they told me that they don't have a plan with miles.

I bookmarked a couple of weeks/month ago:
"...Earn 5000 bonus miles when you activate new service on a qualified AT&T Wireless calling plan!.."
http://www.shopattwireless.com
Now I need a Promotional Code, which I don't have.
May be somebody can post a valid code??!!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
USAFAN: Well, the original poster was refering to AT&T long distance, but perhaps I can help with your AT&T wireless dilemna. I purchased a 3rd wireless phone from AT&T to get the 5000 miles (plus I needed another phone). You can't get this promo in the store. You either have to go online and buy it through the link or call them at this number: 1-800-449-1628. I purchased my phone 5/31 and they said to allow 8-10 weeks for the miles. I'm holding my breath, they'd better come through.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.