Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

National Do Not Call Registry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 7:51 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcam...all/index.html

---

It's a reality, but you may lose out on some added miles and points!
Old Jun 27, 2003, 7:53 am

Programs: CO Plat; Delta Plat; Marriott Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold
As always.....Thanks Doc!
Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:32 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A use link for Omni indeed.

"S.P.A.M.
Sites with Points and Alternative Miles, including referral bonuses, congas, and any of the other loyalty currencies"

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 06-27-2003).]
Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
A use link for Omni indeed.

"S.P.A.M.
Sites with Points and Alternative Miles, including referral bonuses, congas, and any of the other loyalty currencies"
</font>
It was already posted there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/013668.html
Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:49 am

The easy to remember

www.donotcall.gov

also gets you there.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:19 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
The site's been down all morning. I guess everybody's anxious to nix those pesky telemarketers.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:36 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gutt22:
The site's been down all morning. I guess everybody's anxious to nix those pesky telemarketers.</font>
It's been overwhelmed, not down. Keep trying, you will get through.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP Gold
The site has been down for a while. Instead call the Toll Free number. You get right in, and it is super easy. Only takes a few mins.

"Telephone registration using a toll-free number — 1-888-382-1222 — is available in states west of the Mississippi River, including Minnesota and Louisiana, starting Friday, and nationwide by July 7, the Federal Trade Commission said."
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam

From a story this afternoon on it:

"There are a lot of people trying to do this online. We are aware of problems. But it is working. We just ask people to be patient. They have until Aug. 31 to register. They are not going to see instantaneous results," according to a FTC spokesperson.

A spokesperson for the FTC said at 12 PM EST on Friday there have been 370,000 confirmed phone and online registrations, up from 250,000 at 10:30 AM, just two hours after the DONOTCALL.GOV site went live.

"There was an onslaught. A huge number of people all decided to register at the same time. Even in our worst-case scenario, there is a lot more traffic than we expected and we are adding more servers to alleviate the congestion," the FTC spokesperson said.

The FTC spokesperson adding there is "a backlog of e-mail confirmations that will be sent in the next few hours."

Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:16 pm

I think the toll free number only works for the telephone number that you're calling from. On the web, you can put in up to three telephone numbers that you want to block.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 8:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
did it o/l yesterday for our 2 #'s. got email conf almost immediatly. one catch , the 72 hr url wasn't clickable for me...maybe its an ibook problem. hope it stops the calls.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 9:00 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
Just registered 3 numbers on line at
www.donotcall.gov
Received the 3 e-mails and clicked on each. Everything went smoothly and worked properly. It will actually be Ocotober before a telemarketer will be violating the law so I wouldn't expect much for a few months.
Hang on to that web address. There is an avenue for reporting violators via that address.
Surveyors are exempt. So I can see a real increase in surveys that start something like.
Are you happy with your current phone service?

------------------
"A day without Points/Miles is like a day without SUNSHINE"

[This message has been edited by Superd1 (edited 06-29-2003).]
Old Jun 29, 2003, 2:06 pm
In Memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Superd1:
Surveyors are exempt. So I can see a real increase in surveys that start something like.
Are you happy with your current phone service?

</font>
Been on our state do not call list for years, and the exempts (surveys, politicial, and non profits) have not increased at all, if anything they too have gone down.

Old Jun 29, 2003, 3:51 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
There are more significant exceptions than surveyors:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Exempt businesses include:

* long-distance phone companies
* airlines
* banks and credit unions; and
* the business of insurance, to the extent that it is regulated by state law.</font>
I'm already on the state's DNC list, but aren't most of those telemarketing calls banks and phone companies anyhow? And they're exempted?

But I'm sure everyone here is glad that American Airlines can still ring you up even if you're on the DNC list.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 4:19 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flightrisk:
Exempt businesses include:

* long-distance phone companies
* airlines
* banks and credit unions; and
* the business of insurance, to the extent that it is regulated by state law.
</font>

Actually the FTC and the FCC have gotten together to tighten the rules. Here's what the Direct Marketing Association had to say Thursday:

http://www.the-dma.org/cgi/dispnewsstand?article=1272

I'm registered (and there were no frequent flyer points!)

------------------
"I was once dissappointed that I didn't get an upgrade, then I saw a homeless man without shoes. Somehow, the upgrade didn't seem all that important."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.