Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Post your GOLDPOINTS horror stories here...

Old Jan 21, 02, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

As a consolidation of the following threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/005868.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/006052.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum91/HTML/000146.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/006162.html

...and probably a few others, I had a thought that those who are getting the run-around by GoldPoints should clearly state their cases here, with one goal in mind:

To shame GoldPoints into doing what they are contractually, legally required to do. What they promised. That's all we ask

Many of us have quite a bit of money-- and an unconscionable amount of time tied up in this thing, and it is incumbent on GoldPoints to start straightening things out TODAY.

The number for GoldPoints is 1-800-508-9000, dial 9 for customer service during business hours.

FAX 1-763-212-5747 or
FAX 1-763-212-5847

Also, from MADBOB:
I think it is time to let the corporate folks at Carlson know what is happening. I called the corporate office and was told that Harold Schrum is over Carlson Marketing programs and Gold Points. His fax is 763-212-1254. Harold Schrumís boss is Jim Ryan. The CEO of Carlson is Marilyn Carlson Nelson and her fax is 763-212-5700.

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 01-23-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 02, 4:13 pm

"Whatever you do, do with INTEGRITY

Wherever you go, go as a LEADER

Whomever you serve, serve with CARING

Whenever you dream, dream with your all

And never, ever give up."

- Curt Carlson (quote from the intro on the Carlson Companies Web site. Carlson is Goldpoints parent company).

Come on Goldpoints, have some INTEGRITY, be a LEADER, and show your CARING. We were following your credo by dreaming with our all -- and we will never give up!

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 02, 4:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

My story in brief:

4 ValueMags orders placed. All before December 26. 2 posted @ 150 GP per $$, 2 haven't posted at all.

Most of my correspondence has been with ValueMags, who have been very reassuring in all their replies. But nothing has changed-- with the exception that points were deducted 1/21. No sign of my two, larger, orders posting at all.

Phone people at GoldPoints are friendly but clearly have NO idea what is going on and tend to make things up to compensate for same.

u n a c c e p t a b l e .
Old Jan 21, 02, 4:19 pm

I am currently missing:

- 344,250 (450x765) points for a $765 valuemags order on 12/19.
- 17,100 points deducted in error.
- 60,480 (120x504) points from a $504 Hallmark order on 12/27.
- 273,600 (1216x225) points from a $1216 Hickory Farms order on 12/29.

695,430 total missing GP

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 02, 4:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhacker:
We were following your credo by dreaming with our all -- and we will never give up!</font>
Amen!
We certainly won't-- even though that's clearly what GoldPoints is hoping for-- with it's pointless stalling and calculated half-truths.

Shame.

Old Jan 21, 02, 4:25 pm

As of 01-21-02 my "ValueMags.com" balance is minus 45,000 points. This morning I had 45,000 points deducted from my account, despite the fact that I haven't had any points post yet. I placed two orders with valumags.com com - one on December 20th, and the second on the 21st. I called Goldpoints this morning and I was told that they would "look into it". FRUSTRATION is setting in!
Old Jan 21, 02, 4:27 pm
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Ouch - maybe we need a new headline in FT - Fly the Concorde for a few million dollars.
Old Jan 21, 02, 4:28 pm

i could post the whole correspondence, but i will limit it to an encapsulation.

essentially, valuemags told me to talk to goldpoints and vice versa. futhermore, valuemags changed their tune in that they told me about the points posting on GROSS total rather than net in december and then told me today that they were posting on NET. this, of course, was a mistake on their part to broadcast this mistaken information. however, i suspect that goldpoints computers were also to blame.

fortunately, i have not had points subtracted from my account.

i am missing, however, 417,000 GPs...

*sigh*

[message edited to remove personal details and because i felt it inappropriate to post private conversations]
[This message has been edited by fireflyreaction (edited 01-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by fireflyreaction (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 02, 5:02 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
To add to the list:

I ordered $502 worth of magazines (gross before 15% discount) on December 19, 2001. I was expecting 225,900 Goldpoints (450 points per dollar). I have receieved NONE. Today I found that 11,250 negative points debited on December 19 (though it just showed up today on my account). That is approx 150 points per dollar for the 15% discount.

I can see why fireflyreaction is ticked given the email she got earlier, but personally I would be happy to get 450 points per dollar for my net purchase, or 192015 points. But to get debited for points I never received is just plain bad business.

So far it looks like Valuemags blames Goldpoints and Goldpoints blames Valuemags. All we need is for one of them to blame TGI Friday's or Radisson and the circle of crap is complete.

One other valuemags note: I placed a later order for a magazine worth $18. I only expected 150 points per dollar and I got that -- on the gross (not discounted) price. Of course, even then valuemags screwed up and charged my account twice (first time the screen said 'we could not charge your credit card, please try again'), and it took two weeks for them to clear up. Of course, Valuemags was AMAZINGLY quick in taking back the points I was given for two orders.

[This message has been edited by pitflyer (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 02, 5:23 pm

fireflyreaction is a boy

in terms of valuemags blames goldpoints and vice versa, i could not agree more.

when i spoke to elizabeth from goldpoints, she said "you have to contact valuemags". i read to her the email (find above) and she just didn't say anything substantial (though was very polite).

Old Jan 21, 02, 5:40 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Sorry. From now on, I'll write s/he to be safe

[This message has been edited by pitflyer (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 21, 02, 6:00 pm

I got most of my points but then again I realized I didn't get any points for large orders so only made lots of small ones. Anyway, I'm just waiting anxiously until Feb 2 so that they release my points and I can cash them to FF miles.
Old Jan 21, 02, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
i placed 2 valuemags orders (12/23 & 12/24) worth over $1000 each. i also placed a hallmark order on 12/31. as no points or any mention of the transactions were listed in my account history as of 1/18 i sent goldpoints an e-mail. this morning i looked at my account summary and noticed that they had removed 28,000 points and 27,000 backdated to 12/23 and 12/24. but i hadn't ever received any points. as it stands i now have a negative balance of 40,000 points in my account.

just a few minutes ago i received a reply from goldpoints to my e-mail from the 18th:

"Dear Broadwaylblue,

Thank you for contacting Gold Points Rewards. Due to the overwhelming
response, the triple points promotion for Valuemags.com was terminated
on 12/26/01. Please allow 30 days for the transactions to post to your
account. If they have not been credited after 30 days then please fax
your receipts to us at 1-763-212-5747 with your name and account number.

Please note on your fax that you may have only received 150 points per
dollar spent and not the 450 points per dollar.

Once we receive your fax, we will research your order. Please include
the receipt for your Hallmark purchase as well for credit after 30 days
have past.

Thank you for your patience.

Juli
Gold Points Service Center Team"

guess i need to fax in my receipts and hope they fix the problem.
Old Jan 21, 02, 6:32 pm

i have spoken to individuals at goldpoints - i can confirm that they are indeed CLOSELY monitoring flyertalk.

cheers

Old Jan 21, 02, 6:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by broadwayblue:
guess i need to fax in my receipts and hope they fix the problem.</font>
Don't hold your breath. I faxed in receipts on 1/07/02 to request my points be adjusted.
That was two weeks ago and nothing. The only action in my account since then was the same point deductions that everyone else has experienced.

For what it's worth, often when requesting credit from companies, I am told to fax in receipts or other documentation. I rarely, if ever, get a response. It's as if they just want to get you off the phone.

I called Goldpoints this morning and was asked to fax in ALL my valumag receipts.
NO WAY!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: