FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   S.P.A.M. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m-2/)
-   -   easy 500 Clickmiles and $10 cash (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m/268509-easy-500-clickmiles-10-cash.html)

sabrina Mar 16, 2001 2:32 pm

easy 500 Clickmiles and $10 cash

For signing up for c2it and sending money, a la PayPal.
http://www.clickrewards.com/offers/c2it.html

-Sabrina

doc Mar 16, 2001 3:40 pm

Thanks! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

* You earn 500 ClickMiles™ PLUS $10.00 when you use the service to send money before 03/31/01. ClickRewards Miles will be awarded within 15 days of first send transaction. Approval for c2it service is necessary for usage. Approval is subject to the sole discretion of Citibank. You will be charged a transaction fee each time you send money. Recipient must be at least 18 years old. Offer expires 03/31/01. For more details, visit www.c2it.com .

sabrina Mar 16, 2001 4:01 pm

I'd also like to point out that even though the disclaimer states that you must pay a transaction fee to send money, they are waiving the fees for new users for 90 days (I think it's 90 days...long enough to get your miles and cash, anyway).

-Sabrina http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

wigstheone Mar 16, 2001 5:02 pm

There is a fee line you will see when you send money. It will be $0.00 for the first 90 days. If you think more about the offer and its rules, you may realize that you can earn a lot of points for no cost and only minimal effort. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

darrendotcom Mar 16, 2001 5:41 pm

Let me see if I have this right. If I send $20 to a friend, I will get 500 click miles and $10 and there will be no service charge. Then my friend sends me the $20 back, she gets 500 click miles and $10 with no service charge. If all is done before march 31. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

wigstheone Mar 16, 2001 5:42 pm

Times 3. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

abercrombie4me Mar 16, 2001 8:59 pm

Be sure to keep in mind that you MUST sign up for C2it through the ClickRewards site to get the 500 mile credit.

If you send $$ to a friend, that friend should not claim the $$ from the link in the email received....he/she should go to ClickRewards and sign up through the link on its site.

Just a reminder!!!

Kremmen Mar 17, 2001 4:48 am

Originally posted by sabrina:
For signing up for c2it and sending money, a la PayPal.
This is yet another nasty scheme from, IMHO, the most disreputable bank in the Western world.

There are a number of nasty catches here:

1) They require an SSN. Why? So that they can put you into a nice big database as always, I bet.

2) They can send you spam forever. Note that they reserve the right to send you crap by email and snail mail unless you write to them (yes, snail mail) to stop it.

3) They can change the rules at any time without notice. (For what it's worth, that would be illegal here.)

4) They don't know whether debits from credit cards will be treated as purchases or cash advances! Let's see, send a "fee-free" $10 to someone from your credit card, possibly get charged a $20 cash advance fee. Sounds like an incredibly expensive way to make 500 click miles.

I'm not sure it's worth it.

wigstheone Mar 17, 2001 6:01 am

Kremmen,

If you are interested in transferring small amounts of money, its a decent service that works well on a very timely basis. As for your concerns, keep in mind that:

1. They will run a credit report on the user, hence the need for a SSN.
2. While snail mail is an unnecessary complication to opt out of spam, I have yet to receive any marketing material from Citibank, despite having had multiple account with them for years.
3. The ability to change the rules at any time is standard in the US, including credit card agreements (and frequent flyer programs). You may not like any changes made, but you also have the right to stop using the service thereafter.
4. As for how the transfer is treated by the cardholder's bank, Citibank is clear about its own cards, "If you use a Citibank Credit Account to Send Cash, the transaction will be treated as a purchase under your Citibank Card Agreement".

Kremmen Mar 17, 2001 4:54 pm

Originally posted by wigstheone:
1. They will run a credit report on the user, hence the need for a SSN.
2. While snail mail is an unnecessary complication to opt out of spam, I have yet to receive any marketing material from Citibank, despite having had multiple account with them for years.
3. The ability to change the rules at any time is standard in the US, including credit card agreements (and frequent flyer programs). You may not like any changes made, but you also have the right to stop using the service thereafter.
4. As for how the transfer is treated by the cardholder's bank, Citibank is clear about its own cards, "If you use a Citibank Credit Account to Send Cash, the transaction will be treated as a purchase under your Citibank Card Agreement".
1. Why? They are transferring your own money, or money from already authorised funds. They don't need to run any sort of credit check.

3. Same here for frequent flyer schemes and the like, but not for financial transactions. They should be required to give notice. Finding out after using the system is too late.

4. Yes, they are reasonably clear about their own cards. But that covers just a tiny proportion of all cards?

wigstheone Mar 17, 2001 8:46 pm

1. Why? They are transferring your own money, or money from already authorised funds. They don't need to run any sort of credit check.

3. Same here for frequent flyer schemes and the like, but not for financial transactions. They should be required to give notice. Finding out after using the system is too late.

4. Yes, they are reasonably clear about their own cards. But that covers just a tiny proportion of all cards?
1. US financial institutions are under regulatory obligation to knowe their customers; a credit report supports a paper trail providing evidence thereof. Also, there are regulatory and legal pressures to minimize money laundering in the US, which any electronic transfer service can otherwise facilitate.

3. Read the agreement that comes with any credit card in the US. The issuer always reserves the right to amend or modify that agreement at their discretion; of course, you can stop using that service if you don't like the change.

4. Granted. Caveat Emptor. Citibank has no control over how other banks will treat said transfers, and advises the user of this. Pretty much out in the open. Besides, if you are trying to maximize AA miles, Citibank's a good place to start.

fallinasleep Mar 17, 2001 10:06 pm

where there is one promo there is usually another...has anyone seen any other sign-up gifts for this service (c2it)?

SuperCat Mar 19, 2001 2:19 pm

I was going to sign up untill I realized they don't take Diner's Club. I also got scared off by the SSN requirement and the high fees. How come they don't take their own Credit Card????

wigstheone Mar 19, 2001 6:56 pm

Seems actually to be an extremely low cost way of accumulating miles; $2.00 per 500 miles equals $0.004 cents per mile. The problem would seem to be that even with 3 accounts, you're going to max out at around 20,000 miles a month. Am I missing something?

Kremmen Mar 20, 2001 7:03 am

Originally posted by wigstheone:
1. US financial institutions are under regulatory obligation to knowe their customers; a credit report supports a paper trail providing evidence thereof.
This makes no sense. Where the transfer is coming from and going to is known, and those places have to have all the details of whose accounts they are. C2it is doing nothing except passing debit/credit instructions from one place to another, which should be available directly between accounts in the first place, if the US banking system weren't such a mess.

3. Read the agreement that comes with any credit card in the US. The issuer always reserves the right to amend or modify that agreement at their discretion; of course, you can stop using that service if you don't like the change.
I didn't deny this. I just said it shouldn't be allowed and isn't allowed here. If the US had decent customer protection laws, it wouldn't be allowed. Most reputable organisations will give notice of fee changes even if not legally forced to.

4. Granted. Caveat Emptor. Citibank has no control over how other banks will treat said transfers, and advises the user of this.
How purchases are processed and how cash advances are processed are known aspects of inter-bank transfers. At least, every organisation I've used in the last 20 years to withdraw money from a credit card knew whether it would be treated as a purchase or a cash advance. I don't see why it's suddenly become an unknown.