Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Quidco and TopCashBack (UK) Discussion Thread

Old Jul 6, 19, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

I've been with Quidco for around 13 years and was generally quite happy. I've found over the last couple of years that some of the bigger cashback transactions get "held up by the retailer" for longer than smaller ones and I'm getting a bit tired of being palmed off with the "it's down to the retailer, not us" explanation when they clearly haven't asked my account details or had the time to open my account page before responding.

The question is, is TCB actually any better? What's the customer service like?

What about cashback earning? I realise the cashback rates vary depending on offers so it's generally quite hard to compare return rates on any given day.

I'd be interested in anyones' give their experiences on this.
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I have used both sites for quite a few years. I would generally choose whichever site had the best rate. I went through a bad patch with TCB where I had a few valid cashbacks declined and their CS seemed indifferent. So I started to use Quidco for everything unless the TCB rate was significantly better. I then had a few issues with Quidco and cashback not being paid. So I thought I'd give TCB another go as preferred site. I had a few issues with TCB again, but nothing too major. I came to the conclusion that neither site is perfect and both can be pretty bad about resolving issues on valid claims sometimes. So I'm back to where I started, generally picking the one with the highest rate. On big purchases with a high value of cashback I now just take multiple screenshots to cover myself if I need to make a claim from either one. I still rate them both above BA e-store (worst) and VS Shops Away (3rd). Probably doesn't help you much!
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by ankomonkey View Post
I have used both sites for quite a few years. I would generally choose whichever site had the best rate. I went through a bad patch with TCB where I had a few valid cashbacks declined and their CS seemed indifferent. So I started to use Quidco for everything unless the TCB rate was significantly better. I then had a few issues with Quidco and cashback not being paid. So I thought I'd give TCB another go as preferred site. I had a few issues with TCB again, but nothing too major. I came to the conclusion that neither site is perfect and both can be pretty bad about resolving issues on valid claims sometimes. So I'm back to where I started, generally picking the one with the highest rate. On big purchases with a high value of cashback I now just take multiple screenshots to cover myself if I need to make a claim from either one. I still rate them both above BA e-store (worst) and VS Shops Away (3rd). Probably doesn't help you much!
Actually pretty useful! Thanks
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It's kept quiet, but the same company owns both Quidco and TCB.

There's not really a whole lot of difference between the two.
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post

I'd heard there was a chance that the owner of one was going to buy the other, but didn't know it had actually happened. Unless it's always been that way!
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:20 am
Original Poster

I don't disbelieve you, but I can't find any evidence of this. Two separate head offices (although I know that doesn't denote ownership). There's also a "Quidco versus TopCashBack" page of the TCB website that would be very amusing if the ownership was the same
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...-merger-plans/

My bad... I thought it was a done deal but ultimately it fell through...
Old Jul 9, 19, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Whose friend has made the most from Quidco/TopCashBack?

Assuming none of us are using QC/TCB for business travel without telling our employer/taxman, but that we know a friend who is... whose friend has made the most?

A friend of mine has made £13260 on QC.
Old Jul 10, 19, 3:35 am

Here's an interesting one - I booked an Accor stay through Quidco, met all the cashback conditions, made the stay and received my Accor LeClub points. Accor declined the cashback. I re-claimed as I believe I am entitled to the cashback. Accor declined again, apparently telling Quidco that I'd cancelled the stay. So either Accor are lying to Quidco or Quidco are lying to me. It's £45 cashback, so hurts far more than 10p from ebay or 15p from The Works being unreasonably declined.

And my friend has most business travel booked through the company travel provider, so doesn't get much opportunity to use the cashback sites in this way.
Old Jul 12, 19, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by roberino View Post
Assuming none of us are using QC/TCB for business travel without telling our employer/taxman, but that we know a friend who is... whose friend has made the most?

A friend of mine has made £13260 on QC.
One of the two - can't remember which - threatened to suspend my account a few years back for booking too much travel through them. They seemed to be under the impression that I must be a travel agent of some kind, when I simply book lots of travel for myself (and often cancel when I change my mind or find a better deal).

But otherwise, I'm not sure that most companies care too much whether you use cashback... if you are booking your own travel then you are deemed to be responsible enough to not unduly rip off the company... and/or that enforcing a stricter policy isn't worthwhile in terms of cost/benefit and employee morale.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 pm

Programs: HH, IHG, MH
Personally, try to avoid both even if they offer better rate. Numbers of genuine cash-backs were declined and none of them resolve after re-instated. Still prefer TCB US.
Old Yesterday, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

... I'm not sure that most companies care too much whether you use cashback... if you are booking your own travel then you are deemed to be responsible enough to not unduly rip off the company... and/or that enforcing a stricter policy isn't worthwhile in terms of cost/benefit and employee morale.
The reason my previous (public) company gave for banning QC, TCB and the like was that it calls into question oneís motives for choosing a specific vendor or booking. One could be said to be choosing a more costly option as it gives better personal reward. They didnít seem to have a problem with airline loyalists though, and surely thatís a similar motivation.