Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Travel Savings Dollars / Travel Savings Passport

Old Jan 23, 18, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

So awhile back I'd bought a bunch of Restaurant.com certificates that came with a $1000 Travel Savings card - it was obvious immediately that it was worth very, very little, maybe even less than the very little I paid for it... Mine is through Travel Savings Passport, but they apparently also run Travel Savings Dollars - which is what Restaurant.com is offering right now. It's good for about 5%-10% off at hotels, but I chase points and status too hard for it to be worth the few dollars I'd save. I think I used it exactly once, at an independent motel - saved five bucks, so I still had $995 to burn. I would have bet you a decent number of real dollars that we'd never, ever find a real use for these. Ah well, I think I paid $25 extra to get the card - so it goes.

For some reason, though, I decided to check them out for an upcoming cross country car rental that was going to cost us more than I wanted to pay. I tried everything I know to try - every discount code, warehouse club, autoslash... If we could postpone the trip by a day (not ideal but doable) we could get an intermediate SUV for $910 for the week. Renting it starting the day we wanted was $1164. A standard SUV (preferable but definitely not a requirement) was even more expensive. Still no idea why I checked them, but darned if their price wasn't significantly better - $667 for the exact dates we wanted in a standard SUV. I'm treating it like we saved about $250, because otherwise we'd have left a day later, but they really did come out to about $500 less than the best price I could find ANYWHERE else for our ideal dates.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post this because I couldn't find anything else on Flyertalk about these folks, and figured I should log a datapoint for future searchers. I can't exactly recommend them outright - I'm pretty sure this was just a strange case where they're particularly valuable. You can do a test booking at http://www.travelsavingsdollars.com/demo to see if it's worthwhile for you, but the demo only has $500 'savings dollars' available so you won't see the final price if the discount exceeds that. For my particular booking, the discount topped out at $770, from an original price of $1437. I'd have told you that, at *best*, these 'travel savings dollars' are worth ten cents on the dollar, but we got much more than that out of them in this one edge case.
Old Aug 14, 18, 11:34 am

Thanks for posting this! My wife bought us a package to travel and get a 90 minute sales talk with the promise of a $500 dollar coupon for the Travel Savings Dollars..
So, have you used this thing again?

Thanks, in advance, for any help!
Chris

Search this Thread