Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Restaurant.com - $1,000 at hotelanresortcard.com - for $99

Old Sep 30, 15, 6:34 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Not sure if this really belongs in this forum or even if it works as advertised but:

Specials at restaurant.com has for a payment of $99, $1,000 in certs at www.hotelandresortcard.com , $50 in Visa gas card , and $100 restaurant.com credit. Here's the link http://specials.restaurant.com/deal/...link=273058345 ..

Buy the deal through a portal such as AA' shopping mall for a rebate, in AA's case, it's 11 miles / $.
Old Sep 30, 15, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Restaurant.com voucher = practically a scam "must spend $200 to get $100 off, pay taxes and tip on the $200"- so your $100 voucher costs you $150 at the restaurant... I've always hated them !

Hotelsndresortcard.com = probably the same scam

So you're paying $100 for a $50 visa card& 1,100 AA miles, pretty much.
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:04 pm

Please note these terms & conditions: Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. iPhone and Android mobile application downloads and all products listed on the "Specials by Restaurant.com" web site (Specials.Restaurant.com) are not eligible. Restaurant.com Gift Card redemptions and all products listed on the Double Deals by Restaurant.com web site are not eligible.
Old Oct 1, 15, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
The $1000 gift card sounds nice until you read the fine print. Apparently you can only use it to cover a small percentage of the hotel stay. It's perhaps not even saving you any money compared to booking at, say, Orbitz and using a coupon code. Their website is vague about the savings and I couldn't figure out how to see without actually having a card. But they do say this...

"Q: Can I use all the dollars on my gift card on one booking?

A: Yes, if the Instant Savings is equal to or greater than the amount of dollars you have in your gift card. The amount of dollars in your eGift card will NEVER pay for the full amount of the room as you will ALWAYS need to pay the difference with your credit or debit card. "

From this other thread, people reported being able to use only $25 or so (one person said $120 off a 3-day booking) at a time: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...sort-card.html

P.S. It would be 110 AA miles not 1100 (unless you bought ten)
Old Oct 1, 15, 2:52 am

Programs: AA EP, AS/EY/AV G
I bought the deal, & wish I hadn't.

First, they only offer Hilton brand hotels.

Second, the pre-discount rates are sometimes higher than OTA's or Hilton's own website.

Third, the discount is usually about 5-15% (but you can choose a flat 10% Visa gift card instead of using your hotel card credit, which is often better than the discount on cheaper hotels).

Good thing the credit never expires - because it'll take me the rest of my life to use it all.
Old Oct 1, 15, 7:16 am
Original Poster

I ended up buying it last night - oh well - hopefully the gas card comes through - that's $50 plus $99 X 11 AA miles/$ = 1089 miles which is worth $20-30 depending on valuation. So even if the main card ends up being worthless, I'd only be out $20-30.

FWIW, yes they seem to primarily be associated with Hilton but other chains are quite well represented also, there are plenty of Hyatts for example. But unless the stay is discounted significantly, probably not worth booking through them since you don't earn points / stay credit for booking through a third party.
Old Oct 1, 15, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008 View Post
Restaurant.com voucher = practically a scam "must spend $200 to get $100 off, pay taxes and tip on the $200"- so your $100 voucher costs you $150 at the restaurant... I've always hated them !

Hotelsndresortcard.com = probably the same scam

So you're paying $100 for a $50 visa card& 1,100 AA miles, pretty much.
Re restaurant.com imho if you'd be inclined to eat at the restaurant anyways it's a good deal. You definitely need to pick your shot. They have had some super offers in the past. I use them mainly in Vegas. Envy, very nice steakhouse right by the convention center in Vegas, used to have coupons like $30 off min purchase of $50. Made for some cheap lunches. Had a great time eating and drinking at El Segundo Sol last trip and saved a bunch using a restaurant.com coupon.

And I've used probably 50+ coupons, maybe close to 100 and in my experience it's really rare they add the tip automatically.

Re the offer in the op's post, no comment.
Old Oct 2, 15, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trajanc View Post
Re restaurant.com imho if you'd be inclined to eat at the restaurant anyways it's a good deal. You definitely need to pick your shot. They have had some super offers in the past. I use them mainly in Vegas. Envy, very nice steakhouse right by the convention center in Vegas, used to have coupons like $30 off min purchase of $50. Made for some cheap lunches. Had a great time eating and drinking at El Segundo Sol last trip and saved a bunch using a restaurant.com coupon.

And I've used probably 50+ coupons, maybe close to 100 and in my experience it's really rare they add the tip automatically.

Re the offer in the op's post, no comment.
I'll agree with this, it represents a savings if you're going to dine at the restaurant anyways even if the gratuity is auto added. That said, there list of restaurants has declined over the years, perhaps being overtaken by Groupon, Living Social and similar sites.

Search this Thread