Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

TopCashBack: Discussion, No Referrals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TopCashBack: Discussion, No Referrals

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MClab
I don't know why you are taking issue with me personally here. I pointed out your error, which you've yet to acknowledge. Beyond that, all I've done is posted some information. Not just about TopCashback mind you but another cash back competitor as well.

I can't make any assumptions about your experience, and have refrained from doing so.

Someone from TopCashback has reached out here, and is at least trying to help you. If you've not followed his/her advice and sent the e-mail they suggested today - no matter how many other e-mails/tickets you've sent in the past - I'm not sure you can expect any resolution.

If it were me, I'd at least make the effort and see what develops. Assumptions based on past experiences aren't always correct.
So, you are TCB rep who is supporting them under a separate user name? I wasn`t taking the issue with you, MClab, initially (I didn`t even respond to you, however, you keep writing to my comments) but you took ownership of the protecting TCB and now it`s clear that role you play in this thread.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: vi, PuTTY, XFE
Originally Posted by Kat007
So, you are TCB rep who is supporting them under a separate user name? I wasn`t taking the issue with you, MClab, initially (I didn`t even respond to you, however, you keep writing to my comments) but you took ownership of the protecting TCB and now it`s clear that role you play in this thread.
Remember what I said earlier about assumptions? It holds true here.

I'm not supporting anyone. I just hate to see people misinformed.

I have no affiliation with TopCashback whatsoever. I'm just a regular user.

You can ask any moderator here to verify that.

Or do a quick search of my posts.

Aside from posting all of once in the TopCashback conga thread which I am participating in mind you, I post in many other threads as a user only.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Remember what I said earlier about assumptions? It holds true here.

I'm not supporting anyone. I just hate to see people misinformed.

I have no affiliation with TopCashback whatsoever. I'm just a regular user.

You can ask any moderator here to verify that.

Or do a quick search of my posts.

Aside from posting all of once in the TopCashback conga thread which I am participating in mind you, I post in many other threads as a user only.
A regular user wouldn`t be so persuasive and aggressive towards one who stating the truth about crooks who are being discussed in this thread. I don`t believe that you don`t have interest in doing so.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:16 pm

A regular user wouldn`t be so persuasive and aggressive towards one who stating the truth about crooks who are being discussed in this thread. I don`t believe that you don`t have interest in doing so.

So, just to make sure I understand correctly, your contention is I am some sort of TopCashback shill here to "defend" this company. Correct?

Well, let's attack this with some logic and reason for a moment.

I have yet to say anything positive about TopCashback actually. The very first thing I posted in this thread was I can't speak intelligently about TopCashback - I just have very little personal experience with this specific cash back portal. Then, I pointed out an error you made - in a polite way, I might add - regarding click-throughs. I linked to some Terms and Conditions of BeFrugal. I linked to some Terms and Conditions of TopCashback. I linked to some more Terms and Conditions of BeFrugal, and relayed a positive experience I had with BeFrugal support.

Next, I've been at Flyertalk S.P.A.M for a while now. I've participated and started quite a few threads.

Let's examine some of those dating from as far back as two years ago, just to prove a point.

The idea being I would lay here in wait, biding my time, for the opportunity to come defend my supposed company I have some sort of connection with? And all the while helping to also perpetuate the competition like Shop At Home, Mr Rebates, EBates, and BeFrugal?

Can any reasonable person read that and honestly think that's the case?

I'm guessing a big fat "no" there.

Perhaps it's time to revisit that statement I made about assumptions, Kat007.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: Skyteam
In my dealings with cashback sites for the past 10 years, Fatwallet.com pays out the fastest with least amount of hassle. I would rate ebates.com as second. Those 2 have been around the longest.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
I've had 4 transactions over the last few years from TCB and have experienced no problems, although it has taken a long time for the amounts to be payable. The last time I did have to follow up with an e-mail so they knew I had purchased the item, but they eventually paid on it. Typically what I do is use a separate computer to do my orders so that way the merchants don't question that my visit was referred from TCB.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by skchin
In my dealings with cashback sites for the past 10 years, Fatwallet.com pays out the fastest with least amount of hassle. I would rate ebates.com as second. Those 2 have been around the longest.
I generally have found ebates or Mr. Rebates as the best. On the rare occasion that I've had a click not credit, they generally are willing to post it as a goodwill gesture.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
FWIW, just to put my own experience here:

I started this year with seven Hotels.com clicks that failed to track (among a few others that had tracked). I did some experimenting and realized that my settings in Chrome and Firefox to disallow third-party cookies was causing the failure.

I ensured all cookie options were turned on in IE (a browser I otherwise never use) and then proceeded to use IE for all TCB purchases. To date, I have not had a failure to track among 42 subsequent purchases. To anyone experiencing failures to track, I'd suggest ensuring third-party cookies are enabled. And if you've previously visited a site that you are then later purchasing on through a CB portal, based on some previous experience I've had with Commission Junction, it is often necessary to either delete a site's cookies or close the browser completely and relaunch it before clicking to a site through the portal to ensure the session cookies are removed and the site can properly set a cookie to track the CB portal referral. That's why using a different browser that you only use for CB purchases is often a good idea--in fact, I usually do all my research on hotels.com or Hotwire or whatever in Chrome, and then when I've found what I want to book, I open IE, use the TCB link, and enter the info to go straight to booking.

Also FWIW, six of the seven TCB/hotels.com cashback claims were resolved. I submitted the requests on February 28 and they were resolved on March 17. The seventh is still showing "Waiting for Merchant."

TCB is fine in my book, at least.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by jackal
I did some experimenting and realized that my settings in Chrome and Firefox to disallow third-party cookies was causing the failure.

I ensured all cookie options were turned on in IE (a browser I otherwise never use) and then proceeded to use IE for all TCB purchases. To date, I have not had a failure to track among 42 subsequent purchases. To anyone experiencing failures to track, I'd suggest ensuring third-party cookies are enabled. And if you've previously visited a site that you are then later purchasing on through a CB portal, based on some previous experience I've had with Commission Junction, it is often necessary to either delete a site's cookies or close the browser completely and relaunch it before clicking to a site through the portal to ensure the session cookies are removed and the site can properly set a cookie to track the CB portal referral. That's why using a different browser that you only use for CB purchases is often a good idea--in fact, I usually do all my research on hotels.com or Hotwire or whatever in Chrome, and then when I've found what I want to book, I open IE, use the TCB link, and enter the info to go straight to booking.
Yours was a better detailed response than what I initially posted earlier in the thread.

I usually recommend a step or two further for convenience. Have a popular browser you do not use regularly assigned as your cash back browser. Keep it updated and clear all its browser cache and cookies before any cash back related shopping. Have any security/firewall/adware software enabled ignore that browser's use or temporarily disable security/firewall/adware software when making a cash back purchase.

A better option I've found is having a minimal virtual machine I use for cash back shopping purposes only. The VM is set by default to delete any system changes on close, so once I am done shopping I just shut it off and it goes back to the baseline I set up for shopping.
By default, IE has third-party cookies turned on. To adjust those settings, go to Internet Options, Privacy, and Advanced.

Firefox and Chrome both have third-party cookie support, but it can sometimes be turned off by default depending on the browser version or changed due to some extensions.

Here's where in each application to make the appropriate changes

Disable third-party cookies in Firefox to stop some types of tracking by advertisers

Manage your cookies and site data in Chrome

But I stick with your advice which I echoed earlier in the thread - pick a browser that you don't regularly use, set it up correctly, and only use it for cash back related shopping. IE is a good choice certainly since most people no longer use it for their daily browsing.

Or the virtual machine route works well too if you're a more savvy user.

So that the crusader in this thread doesn't leap to any more conspiracy theories again, this is advice for ALL CASH BACK SITES.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:14 am

Hi everyone,

Thank you for posting and I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems using TopCashback- I'll do my best to answer some of your queries.

Firstly, let me say that we definitely aren't a scam and we have many satisfied members. Problems can occur from time to time, but the vast majority of transactions track and are paid without issue. We pass on 100% of the cashback we get from the merchant which is why you see such great rates on the site! We are dependent on receiving the cashback from the merchant, however, which can sometimes mean that cashback can take time to progress and claims can take a while to investigate.

We don't make any guarantees, but cashback generally takes 2-3 months to become payable. Where a transaction fails to track, which is comparatively rare, we investigate this with the merchant and we do work hard to resolve the problem although we don't generally post an update on a claim until we have a resolution. We are required to submit these in batches every few weeks and again, we expect these to be resolved within 2-3 months. If you find that it takes longer than this, please submit a support ticket. This will be answered within a few days and an update will be provided on your claim.

Kat007, can you email [email protected] so that I can access your account and have a look into your claim? MCLab is correct here- a record of a click simply means that you have clicked our link, the tracking process is much more complicated and relates to cookies placed on the merchant's site.

Max M, when the PayPal payment option is restricted, this is usually due to a merchant’s request that we only pay by direct deposit. In rare cases, we will take the decision to restrict the PayPal option too, if see that some members are abusing the terms and conditions of the offer. Requiring a direct deposit as payment means that we can be sure that the member hasn’t created multiple TopCashback accounts. It is sad that this is the case, but we do have to take this action on occasion. Where PayPal isn’t available, we will always make a note on the merchant’s page.
If anyone would like a specific update on their account please either submit a support ticket or get in touch via [email protected] and we will be happy to help.

Best wishes,
TopCashback
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:27 am

Hi Kat007,

I haven't received a message from you at [email protected]. Until I do, I'm afraid I can't take a look at your account.

Many thanks,
TopCashback
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by kipper
I've had multiple transactions not credit, and the response from TCB has been underwhelming, to the point that I've stopped trying to claim credit. I have a referral credit that's been pending for over a year as well.
Hey, hey, keep trying. You're my referral!

Originally Posted by kipper
I love the,

The only site that I use where I've had any amount of problems with transactions crediting has been Memolink, and I've found that they're usually very on top of things in regards to responses, and posting points very quickly. There's not a 2-3 month wait.
Never used uPromise, have you? Ugh, they're awful.

They are not registered with BBB (however, BBB has a power over them), but are on their website under "coupon services". Just go to bbb.org and search for topcashback. Then file a complaint. You can also contact DE BBB via www.delaware.bbb.org. They are collecting complaints now, and to take more serious actions, they need to receive more complaints from the victims.
Just to let you know, the BBB has power over nobody. They are funded by businesses and are essentially for sale.

Mike
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by mikeef
Hey, hey, keep trying. You're my referral!

Never used uPromise, have you? Ugh, they're awful.
Mike
LOL, I'd try, but it's frustrating.

No, not for online shopping.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Petroleum
Can confirm not a scam - at least the .co.uk version is not!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I just received another $10 from TopCashback today for a referral. I have now received $50 from them from referrals and for a"free" cash back deal. (and I received a few dollars the traditional way from purchases). So, they have given me $50 for a few minutes of my time without my having to spend a penny. That's the kind of "scam" I will take any day. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.