Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Coupon Book Belly Up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)

See

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...h-7-bankruptcy

I don't know what it means for current coupons, but I sure wouldn't buy a book right now.

Bob H
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by BobH
See

I don't know what it means for current coupons, but I sure wouldn't buy a book right now.

Bob H
Sucks but I am not surprised. Around here at least the book has been steadily losing the better deals year to year.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by trajanc
Sucks but I am not surprised. Around here at least the book has been steadily losing the better deals year to year.
+1
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I stopped buying the Entertainment book a few years ago. The special offers available online, Groupon, LivingSocial, Facebook, etc. killed the old school book for me.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I only buy the book when it is very cheap. Since I had head/neck surgery in Dec 2011, I am unable to eat/drink in the traditional way. The requirement that the coupons are 2 for 1 meals do my wife little good. Worse, there have been more coupons where 2 beverages also have to be purchased in addition to the paid meal. Also, some of the restaurants seem to be out of business with the bad economy.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I've always thought this company was managed poorly. Many of us buy the books for, say, $10 on sale because there are a few worthwhile coupons (including travel coupons). That said, they had a HUGE lead in the entertainment/travel/restaurant discount space and lost it to better managed companies -- especially those better able to leverage internet capabilities. And, as just about everyone will tell you, the books seemed to get a little worse every year.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Groupon will be the next to go...I'm keeping a low inventory of their coupons.

Entertainment books have always - and still are - great in the Los Angeles area. HUGE book...and it still is. I will miss it greatly. The travel coupons are much better than what any competitor offers.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/C...8/-/index.html

Last edited by CalItalian; Mar 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I buy them on clearance for $10....the Ralph's coupons throughout the year are worth far more than that. But I can't remember using it for anything else for at least the past 2 years.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Ahhh, the Entertainment Book. I first got one in about 1985 and ended up using 1 coupon. That coupon got me "two for the price of one" on a Windjammer Cruise and actually sailed the 282 foot ship under full sail and full diesel towards Bimini. The ship was subsequently lost during Hurricane Mitch. I took the sister of a friend, whom I had never met. The best part was when she said yes and we discussed cabins. Her choices were a "communal" cabin with 3 other females or share a cabin with me. I was surprised that she chose my cabin. One deserted island we stopped at is now a Disney location! The price of the book saved me many hundreds of dollars and I have stories and memories that well exceed any discount I got!

But I digress.

We used to offer the Entertainment books at the Public TV station on-air events and fund raisers and they were well received by members. Oftentimes users were not asked to see their card, and thus would pass coupons out to friends to use.

I always though they were a good value but would try to hold off buying one until they were discounted, then I would spend, spend, spend.

I would still be getting books but they do not offer any local deals for me in my location.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Their web site is still active and they are still selling books on the site. And not cheaply either. :-(
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
No surprise, but it pulled out of MyPoints. (Was offering 1,000 points/purchase.)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I used to buy them in the past,

but not anymore. This is an old standard on getting coupons, now you can get them online via web promotions or sign in. No need to spend money to save money. Besides, I bet it cost a lot to print the book and keep it within local areas/region restaurant. Heck, even the Sunday paper has coupons that are similar to what they offer, and you know that newspapers around the nation are also in economic problems. Groupon will be next. Hopefully those employees that got laid off have found something else.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:43 pm

I stopped buying them when I discovered that too many of the restaurants in the books were out of business by the time you went to redeem them.
Haven't bought one in two years.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by BobH
See

Bob H
The coupons are offered by business so you would visit the business. I don't see how Entertainment filing for Chapter 7 would cause a business to not want you to visit them.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
One of the services a local radio station used to offer half price or 75% off gift certificates icity certs, has apparently shut down too. I wouldn't hold onto any I was sitting on now from from just about anyplace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.