Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Coupon Book Belly Up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entertainment Coupon Book Belly Up

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Times change and the market moves on but was still a little sad to read this news.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Cool

I had a reservation at the Entertainment Rate for a Holiday Inn in Ann Arbor this January. For the first time ever, the front-desk clerk asked for my card. "Oops!" I said, it has expired. So he refused me the rate. I almost used the hotel computer to renew, but decided to go to a more convenient hotel.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Entertainment Publications May Be Coming Back

Entertainment Publications may be coming back...and coming back for good. Some employees have already been rehired.

http://couponsinthenews.com/2013/03/...from-the-dead/
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Cool

In A2 in January, I felt guilty/ busted for having booked the Ent. Rate after my card had expired. But maybe it was for the best because A. I can get a new one now if I want, & B. That manager told me that his hotel had started enforcing the "no PC points" rule, while years ago I usually got them.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
I too used to buy them. In our area a competitor uses the school system to sell their books as a fundraiser. I think that hurt them a lot.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
The coupons are offered by business so you would visit the business. I don't see how Entertainment filing for Chapter 7 would cause a business to not want you to visit them.
I would not buy a book now, but you can be sure that merchants will honor the coupons. As you said a business just wants you in the door
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
If all you are really interested in is the hotel rate, you can buy just the card on Ebay. Glad they are trying to make a comeback.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:43 am

It was probably time for them to go. Lots of competition and a failure to evolve into the e-world and away from paper.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 4:30 pm

Entertainment Promotions Continues Operation During Ownership Transition

I am employee of Entertainment and we are excited to announce that we have resumed operations as a going concern on 3/27, after filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy petition earlier. During this time, we will to continue to serve our consumers, merchants, partners and vendors, pending our sale, which is expected to occur on or about 4/22. There is a press release on our website with details. Click on the link below.

http://www.entertainment.com/about/c...%20Transition/
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:49 am

Entertainment 2013 MUST Be Honored

Entertainment 2013 coupons must be honored per the bankruptcy trustee.
The website is working again, orders are being shipped, new orders can be placed... A sale of the company is expected on or about 4/22. They are back in business... http://couponsinthenews.com/2013/04/...upons-or-else/
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Entertainment 2013 coupons must be honored per the bankruptcy trustee.
The website is working again, orders are being shipped, new orders can be placed... A sale of the company is expected on or about 4/22. They are back in business... http://couponsinthenews.com/2013/04/...upons-or-else/
I haven't seen anything in the Detroit area press (their 'home town) on this, but did get an Email message with the opportunity to buy a book for a grand total of $16 .....

Given the fact I already have one <lol>

Bob H
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:29 am

Here is a story from the local Detroit media published this week...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-pending-sale
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by BobH
I haven't seen anything in the Detroit area press (their 'home town) on this, but did get an Email message with the opportunity to buy a book for a grand total of $16 .....

Bob H
I buy dozens of books every year. It's $14.40 including free shipping for any book if you already are a customer.

Here's two stories from Detroit related press:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013040...s-coupon-books

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-pending-sale
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by BobH

Bob H
The Proposed Counsel (whatever that is) for the trustee issued a release (full text pdf available here) saying that they believe contracts are still in force and anybody who wants to break them has to get approval from the court. If there's anything definite that will scare a merchant, it's an email from a proposed counsel for a trustee for a company in bankruptcy court you no longer want to deal with.

As merchants had no problems in the past deciding if they were going to honor the coupons or not without a pending sale and a bankruptcy court involved, not really sure what his saber rattling will do to merchants who choose not to honor them now.

Personally, I feel that anybody who buys a book before the expected sale in a couple of weeks is probably a fool, given that nobody knows what terms and conditions the new owners may impose, or who those will be until the court approves it.

As they say on their website

Mr. Forman received an offer for Entertainment from HSP-EPI Acquisitions, LLC. If successful, the bidder, HSP-EPI Acquisitions, LLC, (whose members includes Lowell Potiker, son of founders Hughes and Sheila Potiker) intends to continue to operate Entertainment. In addition, other parties have expressed interest in purchasing and operating Entertainment.

I would be a bit concerned about those other parties and what they are planning at this point and hold off until the sale is final and any new terms are presented.

Last edited by cordelli; Apr 5, 2013 at 10:28 am
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:31 am

ALL books (which includes free shipping) are now $15, $13.50 for renewal members. $5 more off if you do the annual subscription.

I use A LOT of these coupons. NOT one has been turned down. I see no problem with ordering these books. There are plenty of national or regional companies represented and they want their coupons used. That is why they paid to advertise in this book...and do year after year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.