Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Discover America: Daily Getaways 2012 (Amex)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover America: Daily Getaways 2012 (Amex)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gv111
^ Makes sense to me.

On a similar note, I did a trip to Hawaii (Maui) in late 2008. Got a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom timeshare close to beach for $700 for the entire week. This was through eBay and I got around 20% CB from eBay so the net price was even less . No presentation was required. I guess each of us have different need and more importantly budget to fulfill that need.
I think the difference is staff. If I rent a nice house/villa, I'm on my own. If I want dinner, I have to go to the grocery store to buy some food and then grill it, or head out to a restaurant. The Fairmont has staff and, if you pay them more, will pamper you. That doesn't come cheap. It's the only way they could justify their room rates compared to private rentals that are much more spacious and at least as nice.

It's certainly hard to craft a Discover America promo for rental properties. I think there is one timeshare-like outfit that is participating, but nobody can understand exactly what you get for your money, so "nobody" buys the package.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Club Carlson

A little surprised those sold out today (I wasn't paying careful attention, so I don't know if it was instantaneous). I ran the numbers and was underwhelmed. I guess Radisson has a few fans. That said, I suspect using their friends and family rate would get you a better price 4 out of 5 times -- with no prepayment necessary.

http://www.radisson.com/familyandfriends

I guess folks don't know about this. Or just like contests.
Old May 10, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, if you did want to convert Club Carlson to BA miles, with the current BA promo, it would be something like 1.5 cpm. So you'd be getting some expensive-ish shorthaul flights on AA (say, $300 for a < 650 mile flight like DTW-LGA r/t) for $135. That's pretty decent... but yeah, kinda "meh".
Old May 10, 2012, 5:58 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by iahphx
Given what I've seen on the web, I expect today's Hyatt deal to sell out in less than a second. The big question, though, is why?

The best deal on Hyatt points is obviously to get their credit card. You get 2 free nights at any Hyatt in the world for zero dollars. Now THAT is a deal!

But I'll assume the folks who are buying points today have already done that. And need/want more points.

Looking at the Hyatt chart, the "aspirational" properties start generally start at Cat. 5. And these are NOT their best properties -- just good ones. If you buy the 2-night Cat. 5 package with an AMEX card, it will cost you about $186/night.

Now that's not a bad price. But I don't think it's a GREAT price. I honestly don't think it requires exceptional effort to get a comparable hotel in those cities for under $200. Like one of those properties, the Grand Champions in Indian Wells, I got for less than half that price on priceline this winter ($80/night, plus tax/fees).

Bottomline, I don't think anyone needs to be too unhappy if they don't win today.
It is a great deal, and yes I'm talking about "aspirational" properties. I'm a Hyatt Diamond, and I absolutely LOVE properties like the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris and the Park Hyatt Tokyo. Buying these at a penny/point means getting either property at $220AI/night. I don't know if you've ever stayed at the Park Hyatt in Paris, but that's a steal. Rates in the summer are $800-$1,000 night. If a Diamond member, it's even better because their incredible breakfast is included for two people, and that's worth an extra €100/day right off the top. Yes please!!

Overhyped? Maybe. Bloggers trying to convince the average Joe to spend money on these points kind of makes me laugh, they just don't care. But to Hyatt Gold Passport members who are already in the know... these points are a GREAT deal. (and yes the credit card was a good deal too, I used my two suite nights at the Park Hyatt Tokyo to the tune of about $3,000USD).

I'm glad I managed to snag a 30K point package.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Well, if you did want to convert Club Carlson to BA miles, with the current BA promo, it would be something like 1.5 cpm. So you'd be getting some expensive-ish shorthaul flights on AA (say, $300 for a < 650 mile flight like DTW-LGA r/t) for $135. That's pretty decent... but yeah, kinda "meh".
Ah, so there was some sort of airline conversion trick. I was skeptical that folks were really buying these points for the Radissons, because it didn't seem like a particularly good deal for that.

Of course, 1.5 cents for BA points isn't a "wow" either, but if you were doing a certain kind of short-haul flying (like maybe you need to get from Lima to Cuzco, or Johannesburg to Victoria Falls), it could be a very good deal.

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
It is a great deal, and yes I'm talking about "aspirational" properties. I'm a Hyatt Diamond, and I absolutely LOVE properties like the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris and the Park Hyatt Tokyo. Buying these at a penny/point means getting either property at $220AI/night. I don't know if you've ever stayed at the Park Hyatt in Paris, but that's a steal. Rates in the summer are $800-$1,000 night. If a Diamond member, it's even better because their incredible breakfast is included for two people, and that's worth an extra €100/day right off the top. Yes please!!
I can certainly see the appeal of those Parisian hotels at that price (and obviously even more appeal for the very special situation of being a Diamond and staying in Paris). Folks here like their luxury hotels, and that's certainly a good rate. I doubt you could spend the points more wisely in the HGP program.

Of course, putting up the "sticker price" for those hotels is a bit of a joke, because nobody in their right mind would actually pay that out of their own pocket (unless they had nothing else to do with their money). Would you pay $400? Probably not, I would think. And, I am certain that if I offered my wife the choice of a $30 stay at the Andre Latin or a $220 stay at the Hyatt, she would certainly pick the Andre Latin. She's "low maintenance," however.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I have some extra AMEX giftcards that are lying around. Does anyone know if I pick up some of these deals using an AMEX gift card and would that still be considered for 10% off for using an AMEX card?
Old May 14, 2012, 4:25 pm
wcj

New here and bought my deals with Amex CC, but post 25 says yes. HTH.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: US, SW, PC
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I have some extra AMEX giftcards that are lying around. Does anyone know if I pick up some of these deals using an AMEX gift card and would that still be considered for 10% off for using an AMEX card?
I used a Amex GC for my Choice package and got the 10% off.

HTH
Old May 15, 2012, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Yes they will work as long as they are registered to your home address and you have a large enough balance. They put a $1 hold on the card so you may need to factor that in.
Old May 16, 2012, 2:31 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
How much longer do you think the unsold packages will stay up and do they usually discount them at some point in time to sell out?
Thx!
Old May 16, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WAS
How much longer do you think the unsold packages will stay up and do they usually discount them at some point in time to sell out?
Thx!
Check for some old posts. I recall they did start discounting some of the packages in the past, but I can't remember the timing. The problem is that the reason most of the packages are left is that they are bad deals. So a discount might not help much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.