Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: viajero boricua
Additional Info about MyPoints

UA occasionally goes out of stock, but usually returns within a few days.
Print Wikipost

MyPoints [Master Thread]--NEW

Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Ismilee
Has anyone else noticed a decided decrease in the number of 'click-through' emails offering points? Or is it just me? I haven't gotten any in several days (only those that offer points for purchases, donations, etc - but no freebie points, per se).
I've noticed that, too. It wasn't until this weekend that I finally got one with points for the click through without a purchase - I think it had been a week or so with none. Also, the click through emails used to all be worth five points and now they vary.
Ismilee likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by ShopAround
I've noticed that, too. It wasn't until this weekend that I finally got one with points for the click through without a purchase - I think it had been a week or so with none. Also, the click through emails used to all be worth five points and now they vary.
Perhaps winding down the ability to accrue points, other than through shopping?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Ismilee
Perhaps winding down the ability to accrue points, other than through shopping?
That's what I was thinking, fewer opportunities for easy points for doing nothing but clicking.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
... Also, the click through emails used to all be worth five points and now they vary.
This has been true for YEARS.... many, many years. It is nothing new. (I've been a mypoints member since 2006.)

I long ago learned to check the email itself before clicking thru. If it doesn't say I'll earn 5 points for clicking thru, and I'm not otherwise interested in the content, I don't click thru.
Nanook likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
This has been true for YEARS.... many, many years. It is nothing new. (I've been a mypoints member since 2006.)
I haven't been a member that long but almost all my emails offered 5 points for clicking through (not counting the ones that only gave points for a purchase).

I checked my January stats and I had 29 clicks that earned 143 points, which means almost all were five points. December was 53 clicks and 265 points, so every click was five points. November was 56 clicks and 280 points, so again, every click was five points.

Now, most of my emails are either no points for just the click through or varying amounts - maybe that's not new to you but it is to me.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I haven't been a member that long but almost all my emails offered 5 points for clicking through (not counting the ones that only gave points for a purchase).

I checked my January stats and I had 29 clicks that earned 143 points, which means almost all were five points. December was 53 clicks and 265 points, so every click was five points. November was 56 clicks and 280 points, so again, every click was five points.

Now, most of my emails are either no points for just the click through or varying amounts - maybe that's not new to you but it is to me.
(Bolding mind)

I was referring to ALL mypoints emails, including the ones that give points for a purchase, though. Not sure why you would exclude those.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:31 am

I was referring to ALL mypoints emails, including the ones that give points for a purchase, though. Not sure why you would exclude those.
Ahhh, that makes sense now, I couldn't figure out why I would be getting different emails than you.

I was responding to Ismilee's post (#2070) addressing the issue of the lack of emails with free points for click throughs, not including the ones that required a purchase or donation. So my reply about the points varying was in response to the comment about the free point emails - those are the ones where I've seen points varying lately. I wasn't talking about the points for purchase emails.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:06 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I have finally recovered 18500 points for completed offers that MyPoints tried to welch on citing ex post facto T+C changes that limited said awards to one per lifetime. It only took the involvement of four different state attorney generals. On an aside, the BBB was clues in, but they are laughably useless. As of this moment, I’ve cashed out and am finally done with this outmoded platform. Prodege can suck a wemon.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
I have finally recovered 18500 points for completed offers that MyPoints tried to welch on citing ex post facto T+C changes that limited said awards to one per lifetime. It only took the involvement of four different state attorney generals. On an aside, the BBB was clues in, but they are laughably useless. As of this moment, I’ve cashed out and am finally done with this outmoded platform. Prodege can suck a wemon.
Details? Were some or all of these donations? Curious because I may have a similar situation.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:33 am
uxb

Details? Were some or all of these donations? Curious because I may have a similar situation.
Most were donations (Nature Conservancy, MDA and Shriners). One was a purchase at Expedia. MyPoints CS is notably slower these days, but I opened individual tickets for all of these 6-8 weeks after the donations were made. What I got back was an E-mail disclaiming the Nature Conservancy offer as one per lifetime, but radio silence on the rest. The Nature Conservancy in particular was troubling to me because there was no such language on their promotional E-mail indicating that as a term. The other offers had no restrictions, but it didn’t seem to matter.

I tried following up by E-mail, and then on FB and Twitter, but to no avail, so I filed my initial complaints with the NYS OAG (where I’m domiciled) and California’s OAG. I warned MyPoints that if they did not resolve the matter, then I would file additional complaints anywhere they had a presence. They treated me like Morrissey, so I then filed in Illinois and Texas. I also tried the BBB, but they are useless because they merely accept complaints, without directing businesses to FULLY respond. MyPoints gave 2-3 responses that mirrored my initial CS interaction, but never could quite address all of the other transactions.

I am unsure which AG secured victory, or if it was the confluence of having to respond to all four of them at the same time for something that could’ve been easily handled if they had just responded to my months-old query in a timely fashion. I likely would’ve never pursued this had it just been the Nature Conservancy transaction, but they denied all remaining transactions without any rhyme or reason.

I’ve only ever employed this strategy one other time (without nearly as many states involved), and it was against E-rewards for “theft of service.” It was during their great purge, when they were arbitrarily closing accounts for perceived violations of their T+Cs. It was resolved amicably and the world moved on. Here, I never heard a peep from MyPoints. No apology. Nothing. Just saw a special credits offer line in my account and that was that.

Good luck!!!
KathyWdrf likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:17 am

I thought it was just me. I'm lucky now if I get one or two a week.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by uxb
Most were donations (Nature Conservancy, MDA and Shriners). . . .
I've been running into a similar problem where they claim they can't track the donation, even after I send them the acknowledgement and receipt from the charity. The acknowledgement has a tracking number, and I mention that in my response to My Points, but crickets.

Anyone else have a similar problem? If they're scamming us as their business model, maybe I should contact my state AG, too!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm still getting 5-point emails 5-6 days a week, some days more than one.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linsj
I'm still getting 5-point emails 5-6 days a week, some days more than one.
Me too.

I don't think the issue was NO 5-point emails at all, I think the issue was that quite a few (most) mypoints emails do not offer 5 points for simply clicking thru. But as I stated in my earlier post, it has been this way for many years.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:32 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by Counsellor
I've been running into a similar problem where they claim they can't track the donation, even after I send them the acknowledgement and receipt from the charity. The acknowledgement has a tracking number, and I mention that in my response to My Points, but crickets.

Anyone else have a similar problem? If they're scamming us as their business model, maybe I should contact my state AG, too!
It appears to be the way to go; especially, if you are owed a lot of points. I was owed over $100 in points. It might not mean much, but no one forced them to make those offers to us.
Counsellor likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.