FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   S.P.A.M. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m-2/)
-   -   Bing Rewards Discussion Thread [No Referrals] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m/1199688-bing-rewards-discussion-thread-no-referrals.html)

FullTimeFlyer Oct 2, 2011 1:47 am

Anyone else's having trouble w/ Bing Rewards bar?

Starting just yesterday afternoon, I can make searches on my Bing bar but when I click on the little prize ribbon to see where I stand I get a silly picture of a robot mechanic and text that "SORRY - this app appears to be misbehaving."

It recommends restarting IE if needed - hell, I restarted my computer without effect.

Never seen this screen before with any other nonworking programs...

BTW steveque, I didn't think you could have 2 accounts feeding one AA account, but honestly I haven't tried or pored over the T&C enough to be sure of it.

FTF

thelostshark Oct 2, 2011 8:31 pm

Yes, that's what mine is saying. Initially it said I'd completed my earning opportunities, but after I did a few searches I got the error message. (Am outside the US at the moment, altho not sure what that'd matter.)

I was able to get points on Oct. 1, so not sure why it's not working today. tls

FullTimeFlyer Oct 3, 2011 3:06 am

tls: For the most part, when I've been outside the US it has not worked (except a few days in Canada, after which it didn't work there either). But it was a different thing - then, it has just said it was unable to retrieve current information. Not the little robot. So I think this is different, although I don't know if you'll be able to reload the program there; you may have to wait to get back if you want to do what I just did.

Anyway, I prodded Mrs FTF back home (I'm traveling on biz) to use her program and hers worked fine. So I figured I had a specific problem with my installation, gave up waiting and uninstalled my Bing bar and reinstalled it - and that fixed the problem.

So either now or when you get back to the states you may want to reinstall. You won't lose your searches - they'll be there when you sign in. In fact, after I deleted the bar and went to the Bing Rewards home page to reload, I found a bunch of additional "welcome" activities that I could do for points. So not a complete loss.

FTF

thelostshark Oct 3, 2011 6:11 am

Thanks FTF. You know it just seems that in today's age it really ought to work outside the US, but in light of your post, and the fact that it was working for me the day I left the US (before my flight), it's probably the fact that outside the US. Guess I'll wait. tls

thelostshark Oct 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Well, I was able to figure out a way to get it working outside the US (the day before I returned to the US ...)

On Sept. 28 I redeemed a Bing Rewards prize for 100 AA miles, and it still has no credited yet to my account. The bounceback email says it will take 2-6 weeks to get the prize, and that I should expect to see a 2nd email with shipping info.

In the past when I redeemed with Bing Rewards, it only took about 2 days to get the miles into my account, so I'm not sure why it's taking so long this time. I have not yet received the 2nd email.

6 weeks haven't passed, so I guess I shouldn't be worried, but I don't understand why it previously worked so well, and now it's taking longer. tls

Carolinian Oct 16, 2011 1:46 am

As an expat, that is good information to know. I also tend to avoid organizations that discriminate against us expats whenever I can and to make negative comments on them whenever and wherever I can. Thanks gor the heads up. And, Bing,it is time to play fair with expats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by lecter (Post 16127323)
I don't like the fact that it does IP-checking...I have an US address in my Live ID, but can't get any rewards if trying to redeem from other countries...it doesn't even say it won't work, the points just get deducted and nothing else happens.

Support is also useless, as I e-mailed them about this and got absolutely no reply, I only realized that IP-checking was being done when my Xbox Rewards account started doing exactly the same thing.

I guess you are strictly interested in Ma & Pa accessing the Internet from their homestead in Kansas, the rest of the world does not exist :rolleyes:

thelostshark Oct 18, 2011 7:12 am

Originally Posted by thelostshark (Post 17259008)
On Sept. 28 I redeemed a Bing Rewards prize for 100 AA miles, and it still has no credited yet to my account. The bounceback email says it will take 2-6 weeks to get the prize, and that I should expect to see a 2nd email with shipping info.

In the past when I redeemed with Bing Rewards, it only took about 2 days to get the miles into my account, so I'm not sure why it's taking so long this time. I have not yet received the 2nd email.

6 weeks haven't passed, so I guess I shouldn't be worried, but I don't understand why it previously worked so well, and now it's taking longer. tls

Got the miles today. Only waited about 3 weeks, which in the general scheme of things, isn't too bad. But a far cry from 2 previous times. tls

FullTimeFlyer Dec 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Arghhh...Binged again - more Microsoft moron-ness

After getting the feeling that we could actually trust MS/Bing, they implemented a "new" redemption center, which means they took out pretty much all the useful rewards, including AA miles. All that's left other than Amazon, if that's your preference, is:

[] Abunch of their own junk :rolleyes:
[] Discounts for a whole bunch of flash-in-the-pan web sites
[] Charitable donations

I never should have even got back into it, as both Mrs FTF and I had enough tickets or credits to redeem another AA reward and were waiting to see how the numbers were going to work out for the end of the year.

Just die, Bing, for all I care. :mad:

FTF

hawkandhoo Dec 20, 2011 9:34 pm

To Be Fair

They did send an e-mail warning that they would be changing the program and eliminating the current awards -- that gave me time to redeem 2 $10 PaPa John's gift cards (for half the regular number of points due to a special offer just before the change was implemented) and 2 $10 AMC movie gift cards. The gift cards arrived within a week, so I was very pleased with the service. That wiped out my point balance. Now I'm less interested in earning points, but I still do it once in a while to get the free Redbox code. That's the only current award that is of any interest to me.

thelostshark Dec 22, 2011 12:50 pm

I only see 20 different prizes, the best of which is a $5 Amazon gc. I like Amazon, but $5 is hardly worth it. Looks like BR has gone the way of the dinasaurs. tls

thelostshark Dec 22, 2013 6:31 pm

Well, this thread has been dead for a while. Just noticed recently that they now allow you to get 10 points for searches on a mobile device in addition to the 15 you can get for searches on a desktop/laptop (daily). tls

thelostshark Apr 22, 2014 6:55 am

They just added new rewards partners, including the following airlines and hotels: American Airlines AAdvantage, Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns, Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles, Icelandair Saga Club, IHG Rewards Club, LifeMiles, US Airways Dividend Miles and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.

Plus a couple of others that are not airlines/hotels. It looks like you can only get 100 miles/points at a time, so it won't be a bonanza. But if you're looking to extend an expiration date, or top off to get over a reward level, this would be perfect. tls

brettalb Apr 22, 2014 8:04 am

Bing points are easy to accrue, so 385 points = 100 miles isn't too bad.

6am at ORD Apr 22, 2014 8:12 am

It works out to buying miles at 4c each (usining the $5 Amazon award as a benchmark), so I'll pass.

tys90 Apr 22, 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by 6am at ORD (Post 22741560)
It works out to buying miles at 4c each (usining the $5 Amazon award as a benchmark), so I'll pass.

Got the e-mail and came here to find this out as I'm not up to speed on Bing Rewards, thanks for the info.