Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > S.P.A.M.
Reload this Page >

Free Companion Airline Ticket with $200 purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Air

I haven't been able to find the terms and conditions of the ticket, but if you enter code "freetrip" at Abe's of Maine and spend 200 bucks, you get a free companion ticket. Could potentially be a good deal if the terms are right.

This is the notice I received by email:

"Free Companion Travel Voucher! Use Code FREETRIP Shop at www.AbesofMaine.com Now"

If you enter the code, it will show that the freetrip is in your shopping cart. Beyond that, I haven't found the terms of the free trip.

Abes of Maine has decent deals on digital cameras and stuff like that.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Those "free" tickets tend to be very expensive. Typically you need to use a specific travel agency and they "only" have certain airlines and flights available. The cost tends to be about twice what you can get a normal flight for.

Just like our daughter got a timeshare solicitation where she would get 2 free domestic tickets if she attended a timeshare presentation. Checked BBB and, as I expected, the BBB had numerous reports about the cost of the "free" tickets.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Agreed

Originally Posted by deant
Those "free" tickets tend to be very expensive. Typically you need to use a specific travel agency and they "only" have certain airlines and flights available. The cost tends to be about twice what you can get a normal flight for.

Just like our daughter got a timeshare solicitation where she would get 2 free domestic tickets if she attended a timeshare presentation. Checked BBB and, as I expected, the BBB had numerous reports about the cost of the "free" tickets.
These sorts of scams all end in tears.

I honestly don't understand how companies like Amex allow themselves to be associated with these operators.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
My understanding is that the purchased ticket has to be full-fare coach, so the free companion ticket really doesn't help, unless your in a situation where you are flying on short notice and full-fare coach is the only class available.

Like the others said, I generally stay away from these offers. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.