Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair being silly about carry-on bags

Old May 2, 22, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

We took a flight BVA-LIS the other day and as usual we each brought a backpack and laptop bag on board. I never check in luggage. I always tell the wife to not bring a roller bag because airlines like to force people to put them in the hold. So, this stewardess starts telling us we can't put our backpacks in the overhead bins because they are for roller bags only! She says we have to put them under the seat in front of us, on top of the laptop bags. Never heard that one before. It's also physically impossible. So she says"Well, if there is any room at the end you can put them in the overhead bin". Ridiculous.

Anyway, get ready for this if you travel with carry-on bags on Ryanair.
Old May 2, 22, 6:03 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Did you pay the additional fee to use the overheads? If so then you can put one bag there regardless of shape. If not, then the FA was correctly reserving the space for people who did pay, who tend to be people with rollaboards
jjbiv, James91 and craigthemif like this.
Old May 2, 22, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Yes I did. I don't see why people with certain types of bags should get preference over others.
As I said, they were being silly.
masmadrid likes this.
Old May 12, 22, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
Yes I did. I don't see why people with certain types of bags should get preference over others.
You should have shown your boarding pass to the attendant, where it clearly states Priority + 2 Cabin Bags. (one of which goes in the overhead bin)
Old May 12, 22, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
You should have shown your boarding pass to the attendant, where it clearly states Priority + 2 Cabin Bags. (one of which goes in the overhead bin)
She wasn't up for negotiation. No backpacks in the overheads!
Old May 13, 22, 2:06 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
smiler topic different carrier
with Wizz
removed

Last edited by frank_10b; May 16, 22 at 4:23 am
Old May 13, 22, 5:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
frank_10b you might find a better place to ask your question is in the Other European Airlines forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...-airlines-469/
Old Jun 6, 22, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold, NE Gold
We took a flight BVA-LIS the other day and as usual we each brought a backpack and laptop bag on board. I never check in luggage. I always tell the wife to not bring a roller bag because airlines like to force people to put them in the hold. So, this stewardess starts telling us we can't put our backpacks in the overhead bins because they are for roller bags only! She says we have to put them under the seat in front of us, on top of the laptop bags. Never heard that one before. It's also physically impossible. So she says"Well, if there is any room at the end you can put them in the overhead bin". Ridiculous.

Anyway, get ready for this if you travel with carry-on bags on Ryanair.
This complaint is egregious in so many ways.
First - and most important - flight attendants are not stewardesses. They are safety-trained onboard cabin staff who first and foremost are there to asure your safety.
Second, Ryanair is not the first LCC to enforce carry on limits. You may not like them, as applied to your Roller Bag, but they are there for a reason.
In recent weeks, I have managed flights onboard JetStar (AU), Flair (CA) and Wizz. No surprise here. Other than some new FTs want to rant?
Old Jun 6, 22, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
This complaint is egregious in so many ways.
First - and most important - flight attendants are not stewardesses. They are safety-trained onboard cabin staff who first and foremost are there to asure your safety.
Second, Ryanair is not the first LCC to enforce carry on limits. You may not like them, as applied to your Roller Bag, but they are there for a reason.
In recent weeks, I have managed flights onboard JetStar (AU), Flair (CA) and Wizz. No surprise here. Other than some new FTs want to rant?
Egregious? Really?
Thank you for alerting me to the fact that flight attendants don't like being called stewardesses any more. I didn't get the memo. No offence intended.
I did not have a roller bag, that's the whole point of the post. I carry a backpack and a laptop bag. The latter goes under the seat, the former goes in the overhead.
The flight attendant was telling me that my backpack couldn't go in the overhead because it didn't have wheels. I should bring attachable wheels perhaps.
Old Jun 6, 22, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold, NE Gold
Please do not repeat the sexist language

Memo? Really?? ICYMI, this Conde Naste article is from 2017:
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/a-t...ight-attendant
It is worth noting that you did not reply to my basic point about LCCs in Australia, Canada, Hungary and the UK. Ever tried Flair?
As a Canadian, I am embarassed when I need to call out sexism from another Canadian. About me? I worked in the industry for over 25 years - during which that term happily disappeared,
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm not Canadian. I happen to be in Canada.
What basic point? If you had read my original post you'd notice that it wasn't about luggage restrictions. I had every right to put my bag in the overhead compartment. I had paid for it.
You're trying awfully hard to be offended. Not everyone can keep up with changes in terminology in a niche industry. Have a nice life.
Old Jun 13, 22, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
At least in Europe, it is common to hear (especially on busy flights) that the overhead bins are for large/heavy items only; smaller/softsided bags should be stowed under the seat in front of you.

Ryanair is a stickler for rules; those who carry on such large items have had to pay handsomely for the privilege. Ryanair makes its profit on ancillaries; they therefore defend this "benefit" as they are unlikely to have customers pay to carry on a large carry-on if they find that the overheads are stuffed full with smaller carry-on items.

You just need to learn to adapt to the Ryanair way of doing things.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 12:18 pm

I've met cabin crew in 2022 who call themselves "stewardess". Not sure if SAS changed that, but their name tags used this title.

Cabin crew are entitled to use whatever pronouns they choose and whatever job title they might wish to use as well.
Old Jun 21, 22, 12:48 pm

I'll just comment re: VCE-BRI last week. I am not familiar with any carriers outside of *A. However, Ryan was a great option for the trip. I carefully read all of the 'rules' so as to not incur extra charges at check-in. This included the purchase of 'priority' and 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on per passenger. I had let my nephew borrow a carryon from me that I've used around the world for 15-20 years without sizer issues or overhead bin issues. #3 in the check-in line at VCE. Agent said she had to ensure the bag would fit in the sizer. It was too deep by 1/4" (I do dimensions for a living - not hyperbole). She said 35.99 EUR please because the bag had to be checked. (I will give her credit in that she tried everything she could to make it fit.)

What really bugged me was the fact the bag would have clearly fit in an overhead bin on a 738. But worse, I observed that the check-in staff was not consistent about using the sizer. (I mention being #3 in the check-in line because the line had grown tremendously as the family of 6 or so who were #1, were having many difficulties, so I assume that check-in needed to speed along.)

Having 'priority' did make all the difference with security at VCE, so I am not too upset.
Old Jun 28, 22, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
I'll just comment re: VCE-BRI last week. I am not familiar with any carriers outside of *A. However, Ryan was a great option for the trip. I carefully read all of the 'rules' so as to not incur extra charges at check-in. This included the purchase of 'priority' and 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on per passenger. I had let my nephew borrow a carryon from me that I've used around the world for 15-20 years without sizer issues or overhead bin issues. #3 in the check-in line at VCE. Agent said she had to ensure the bag would fit in the sizer. It was too deep by 1/4" (I do dimensions for a living - not hyperbole). She said 35.99 EUR please because the bag had to be checked. (I will give her credit in that she tried everything she could to make it fit.)

What really bugged me was the fact the bag would have clearly fit in an overhead bin on a 738. But worse, I observed that the check-in staff was not consistent about using the sizer. (I mention being #3 in the check-in line because the line had grown tremendously as the family of 6 or so who were #1, were having many difficulties, so I assume that check-in needed to speed along.)

Having 'priority' did make all the difference with security at VCE, so I am not too upset.
Did they weigh any of your bags? I'm flying from VCE to LHR in September. It says the combined wright of my personal and cabin bag cannot be more than 10kg. I expect them to bring a sizer along so I have a small cabin bag ready. But I don't know if it will be less than 10kg combined.

Search this Thread