Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair: Abolish Co-Pilots To Save Cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair: Abolish Co-Pilots To Save Cash

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, LH M&M, BA Executive, FI Saga Club
Since he's always speaking about schemes to make more money, while being a low-cost airline, do they actually make any?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by weekilter
Wouldn't they save money if they just let the pax fly the plane?
I suggested that a long time ago:

Originally Posted by Dovster
In order to save money, Delta has started hiring pilots who learned their professions at home, working with Microsoft Flight Simulator software.

The plan goes into effect on Christmas Eve, and when the first plane will take off with Ray Kapulski from Hoboken, a former bowling ball polisher, as the pilot. His co-pilot will be his dear wife who learned along with him.

According to the Delta announcement, "Every mother's child is gonna spy, to see if Ray 'n dear really know how to fly."
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by derteilzeitberliner
Since he's always speaking about schemes to make more money, while being a low-cost airline, do they actually make any?
i read somewhere that they are doing reasonably well....
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by derteilzeitberliner
Absolutely. I don't care much for his airline, but he certainly knows how to turn a profit... his shareholders like him.. I've been tempted to invest several times, but my utter disgust for the airline service has kept me from doing so up until now
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by saad
i read somewhere that they are doing reasonably well....
They made pre-tax profits of Ł289 million last year ... reasonably good considering there was talk of some kind of global economic problem.

Last edited by marble; Sep 6, 2010 at 6:24 am
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by marble
They made pre-tax profits of Ł289 million last year ... reasonably good considering there was talk of some kind of global economic problem.
^^
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Why Ryanair Can’t Legally Eliminate Co-Pilots
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: UA
He is going for free press at this time. He knows that the laws will currently not allow it. But also sooner or later computers will be fully able to fly and land a plane, they pretty much can already do it now under standard situations. Then 1 pilot for emergencies would be enough.
Here is a longer article from businessweek :

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4058006755.htm

He is in general right, the public does not expect much comfort as long as the price is better. Most of the flying public would probably even stand if you give them 30$ rebate for it.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by German Expat
He is in general right, the public does not expect much comfort as long as the price is better. Most of the flying public would probably even stand if you give them 30$ rebate for it.
they may not expect much comfort but i'm sure they expect the same level of security that they would get from other regular airlines....
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by saad
they may not expect much comfort but i'm sure they expect the same level of security that they would get from other regular airlines....
That's quite relative, security is more about training of pilots, age of airplanes, pressure to fly in bad conditions etc.
I am way more worried to fly on a US commuter carrier doing service for any of the legacies then using a low cost airlines.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:52 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
O'Leary wants to save the airline money, then perhaps he should work for free thereby saving the airline tons of money.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by sfo
O'Leary wants to save the airline money, then perhaps he should work for free thereby saving the airline tons of money.
He did that and is now one of the richest Irish :

In 1987 he took a job as a financial assistant to Tony Ryan, an entrepreneur who had made a fortune in aircraft leasing and who had recently started an airline, based at Dublin Airport. (Ryan died in 2007.) O’Leary agreed to work for no base salary and a significant percentage of Ryanair’s earnings, should the airline’s meager fortunes ever improve. The deal eventually made him one of Ireland’s wealthiest men. He currently holds 55 million Ryanair shares valued as of Sept. 1 at $5.05 each.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...fit-quest.html

I don't defend what he is doing and I avoid flying his airline. But you have to admit that the airline did quite well with its low cost policy. The general public does not care enough about all the additional perks.

Talking about perks not sure anybody saw his interview about business class and additional services offered for potential long haul flights :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfIY24BErBE

They had a hard time translating it into German.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
I don't understand why his employees don't strike ? BA employees have had work stoppages on and off for months - something has to make a "dent" with this guy eventually (??).
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by German Expat
That's quite relative, security is more about training of pilots, age of airplanes, pressure to fly in bad conditions etc.
I am way more worried to fly on a US commuter carrier doing service for any of the legacies then using a low cost airlines.
i don't know about you but i would not be very comfortable with the fact that there was only one pilot on the flight....he could be the best trained, flying a new plane & be the best pilot for flying in bad conditions, but what if something happened to that pilot during the flight????none of these things would matter....what would matter is if there is another pilot ready to take over in such a senario....
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

"This is your fully automated Ryanair pilot speaking. Your safety is assured! You have nothing to worry about since our system has been exhaustively tested and found to be absolutely foolproof... foolproof...foolproof... foolproof...."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.