FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ryanair (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ryanair-776/)
-   -   Ryanair Moving Ahead with Pay to Pee Plans (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ryanair/1071690-ryanair-moving-ahead-pay-pee-plans.html)

Wing Man Apr 7, 2010 7:12 am

Ryanair Moving Ahead with Pay to Pee Plans

USA Today reports that, according to London's Daily Mail, Ryanair "is working with Boeing to develop coin-operated toilets on 168 of its planes".

Ryanair also plans to reduce the number of toilets on board.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...terstitialskip

United737522 Apr 7, 2010 7:50 am

I'm not sure I believe it....

sobore Apr 7, 2010 8:37 am

If I ever fly this on ‘air ghetto’ I will not be paying for loo privileges.
I will however make a contribution in the air sick bag.

msimons Apr 7, 2010 9:21 am

Another airline to avoid at all costs.

Odd that they want customers to travel with carry on ONLY as opposed to Spirit that wants to charge for carry-on.

Hoping a speedy Chapter 11 to you all.

ajax Apr 7, 2010 9:24 am

Ludicrous. Let's hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

farahmorales Apr 7, 2010 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Wing Man (Post 13725481)
http://bodybuilderspro.info/customim...088/random.gifUSA Today reports that, according to London's Daily Mail, Ryanair "is working with Boeing to develop coin-operated toilets on 168 of its planes".

Ryanair also plans to reduce the number of toilets on board.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...terstitialskip

Whatever, nothing surprises me anymore with the airlines these days.

robledouk Apr 7, 2010 9:46 am

No toilets on public buses either, which is essentially what RyanAir is.

jfknight Apr 7, 2010 9:49 am

I hear that Ruinair pilots are holding a sweepstake as to what's coming next!

Favourites are "pay for" oxygen masks and life jackets.

:D

FriendlySkies Apr 7, 2010 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by jfknight (Post 13726384)
I hear that Ruinair pilots are holding a sweepstake as to what's coming next!

Favourites are "pay for" oxygen masks and life jackets.

:D

It will be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJnE8Ck0n5s:D

N965VJ Apr 7, 2010 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by msimons (Post 13726199)
Hoping a speedy Chapter 11 to you all.

How would an Irish airline use the US Bankruptcy Code?

BelfastFlyer Apr 7, 2010 2:47 pm

this rumor again?! Must only be 6 months since this was last mooted (should be noted FR currently have a sale on).

Won't happen, at least in the UK as having to pay, while in the air, will break any numerous disability laws

D1andonlyDman Apr 7, 2010 6:57 pm

I believe that the appropriate protest would be to relieve one's self in the center aisle. If enough customers were to protest in this manner, they would probably backtrack post haste.

magiciansampras Apr 7, 2010 6:59 pm

Why not? Morons will still fly on this piece of junk airline. They're just testing the limits of the public. Isn't that what "free markets" are all about?

eoinnz Apr 8, 2010 4:09 am

Originally Posted by sobore (Post 13725921)
I will however make a contribution in the air sick bag.

Good luck - with no seat pockets there are no sick bags either! (Although I imagine are kept somewhere else)

Originally Posted by magiciansampras (Post 13729787)
Why not? Morons will still fly on this piece of junk airline.

I am not a moron for choosing to fly with them on the occasions I have. I had low expectations the first time I flew with them but was quite impressed. The aircraft was very clean and comfortable for the short flight. Every flight I had was early. I knew exactly what was and wasn't included in my ticket (it was made very clear) and was happy to pay for the services I required like drinks and a bag for when I had one. Almost no different to flying most US airlines today.

I would have no hesitation in flying with them again

magiciansampras Apr 8, 2010 7:49 am

Originally Posted by eoinnz (Post 13731964)
I am not a moron

Few would admit that they are. ;)

Originally Posted by eoinnz (Post 13731964)
for choosing to fly with them on the occasions I have. I had low expectations the first time I flew with them but was quite impressed. The aircraft was very clean and comfortable for the short flight. Every flight I had was early. I knew exactly what was and wasn't included in my ticket (it was made very clear) and was happy to pay for the services I required like drinks and a bag for when I had one. Almost no different to flying most US airlines today.

How did you enjoy flying in and out of rinky-dink strips of grass 60 kilometers outside of major cities?

eoinnz Apr 8, 2010 8:30 am

Granted they do fly into smaller airports which can be some distance away, I've found it very easy to make it to the city, as bus services are usually timed to coincide with their flights to the main centre.

In one city the airport was only 10km further away than the main airport

Don't get me wrong - Ryanair has some pretty tacky approaches to advertising etc but nevertheless they provide affordable fares, safe aircraft, and an on time performance that would put most airlines to shame.

Tailgater Apr 8, 2010 10:18 am

Hooray for Ryan Air and this new policy. I think the airline should also charge double if customer takes a dump and not just a whiz ("dump surcharge"). Extra for toilet paper, too.

mre5765 Apr 8, 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by robledouk (Post 13726369)
No toilets on public buses either, which is essentially what RyanAir is.

What's the distance between stops on public buses as compared to RyanAir? And if someone really "had to go", what bus driver wouldn't pull over to let the pax off?

UALOneKPlus Apr 8, 2010 11:18 am

LOL, gives new meaning to "profit center"...

gosha83 Apr 8, 2010 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Tailgater (Post 13733704)
Hooray for Ryan Air and this new policy. I think the airline should also charge double if customer takes a dump and not just a whiz ("dump surcharge"). Extra for toilet paper, too.

You can just implement a "swipe to wipe" policy and accept major credit cards. 1GBP per 1 square of paper with a 50p processing fee.

ATSgrl Apr 8, 2010 12:28 pm

[QUOTE=eoinnz;13731964]Good luck - with no seat pockets there are no sick bags either! (Although I imagine are kept somewhere else)

Actually, further down in the article it stated that they are looking into possibly charging for sick bags as well. No sick bags + pay toilets = big mess

Any cost savings they may see from this boneheaded idea will be wiped out by more expense having to clean and/or replace carpets and seat upholstery.

eoinnz Apr 8, 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ATSgrl (Post 13734545)
Any cost savings they may see from this boneheaded idea will be wiped out by more expense having to clean and/or replace carpets and seat upholstery.

Well the crew clean the aircraft and they have leather seats so they just have to be wiped clean - I guess we could expect unhappier crew

Anyway I don't see this happening. Their aircraft already hold 189 seats and that is the maximum as set by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).

Adding extra seats would require Boeing to have the aircraft re-certified

zecharia Apr 8, 2010 9:34 pm

Ryanair is working with Boeing to develop a coin-operated door release system so it can charge customers to use the toilet.
I wonder if Ryanair has Airbus planes.

WillTravel Apr 9, 2010 1:14 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras (Post 13732686)
Few would admit that they are. ;)

How did you enjoy flying in and out of rinky-dink strips of grass 60 kilometers outside of major cities?

Does that include Madrid Barajas, London Stansted, and Rome Ciampino, among a few Ryanair airports I have used?

For airports like Aarhus, it's not like you have any alternative anyway, if that's where you are going.

For an airport like Berlin Schoenefeld, it's well-served by public transport.

Admittedly there are some Ryanair airports that are way out and inconvenient, but there are many that aren't.

Say it takes you an hour or even two to get out of Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle, which is not at all unusual in my experience, followed by 45 minutes or more to get into town. How is that better than getting out of Rural Airport X in 5 minutes, and then enduring 45 minutes of coach transport?

MissRoseDarrensAngel Apr 11, 2010 5:48 pm

Whenever i go back to Europe, they are an airline I will NEVER use again.

A few years ago, I got charged $20 equal in Danish Kroners, and so did a few others for having what they termed extra bags, and I only had 1 checked suitcase, 1 carry on bag, and my purse/handbag! About half my flight got the same charge as me as they were paying up too for having the same amount of stuff I did.

Someone like my 60-something aged mother wouldn't dare fly them as she needs the facilities often when on long trips, and she would sooner pee her pants or force them not to charge her for use of the loo!

Gargoyle Apr 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras (Post 13732686)

I flew them once. Bari to Pisa. Those aren't rinky-dink strips; Pisa is a major airport, with 767 service from JFK.

It was very convenient, and the planes were quite clean. Seat was extremely uncomfortable (and I snagged the exit row). Couldn't sleep because the FA's kept coming down the aisle hawking things for sale: food, toys, lotto tickets...

Keyser Apr 13, 2010 2:01 am

what's next ryanair????

Wing Man Apr 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Boeing Refuses Ryanair Request to Replace Toilets with More Seats

Ryanair said Boeing is refusing its request to replace toilets with more passenger seats. CEO Michael O'Leary will try to change Boeing's mind.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...rom=public_rss

gosha83 Apr 13, 2010 3:58 pm

There are a few airports that they fly in and out of that aren't very close to the cities they claim to serve, nor are very connected. One is Paris Beauvais (which is actually in Tille) and is served by a bus service that costs almost as much as the ticket to get to. Another is Barcelona, which is actually in Girona, which is a whole different town. By the time you account for the cost of getting to/from those airports, it may double or triple the cost of your Ryanair ticket.

I am a big fan of Germanwings and easyJet, which aren't as obnoxious as Ryanair and are competitive on prices, if not destinations.

sobore Apr 15, 2010 5:33 am

Ryanair CEO: "We'll Give Pay Toilet Money To Charity"

http://consumerist.com/2010/04/ryana...o-charity.html

Ryanair's much-maligned plan to charge passengers to use the toilet on their flights has been completely misunderstood, says the cheapy airline's CEO. In fact, he says he's willing to give all the money from the pay toilets to charity to prove his point.
Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary made his case this morning at a press conference in Brussels, saying that people are misunderstanding his reasoning for adding pay toilets. It's not, he says, to make money from captive cross-legged customers, but "to change peoples' behaviour," and to squeeze in six more additional seats.

USA_flyer Apr 15, 2010 5:43 am

Originally Posted by sobore (Post 13775423)
http://consumerist.com/2010/04/ryana...o-charity.html

Ryanair's much-maligned plan to charge passengers to use the toilet on their flights has been completely misunderstood, says the cheapy airline's CEO. In fact, he says he's willing to give all the money from the pay toilets to charity to prove his point.
Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary made his case this morning at a press conference in Brussels, saying that people are misunderstanding his reasoning for adding pay toilets. It's not, he says, to make money from captive cross-legged customers, but "to change peoples' behaviour," and to squeeze in six more additional seats.

The ability to evacuate one's bodily waste is not a behaviour, it's a natural requirement. The man is an idiot for suggesting it, and a bigger idiot for pursuing it.:rolleyes:

Keyser Apr 15, 2010 7:51 am

maybe this charity he speaks of is called the 'make more money for ryanair charitable organisation'....

ByrdluvsAWACO Apr 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by zecharia (Post 13737578)
I wonder if Ryanair has Airbus planes.

No, they have an all Boeing fleet.