Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Visa Needed? Transfer at SVO Terminal D to Terminal C & vv

Old Feb 10, 21, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus

I have googled and researched the best I can but I just want to be absolutely certain as SVO airport and Aeroflot would not give me an answer and the Russian Embassy & consulates in the US have not responded to my query.

I arriving at SVO from JFK in Terminal D. I am transfering on to TAS from Terminal C. I am arriving on a US passport.

I know that there is some kind of transit zone, but the two terminals are not directly connected and I keep reading on SVO website about passport control....

Is a transit visa be needed?
Old Feb 10, 21, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How much do you want to worry about what happens if your connection (I am assuming that this is all on one ticket/PNR) is rescheduled, cancelled, or long delayed? Would you want to be able to easily spend a couple days exploring Moscow? This could be a big or small issue now depending on the airlines involved and the frequency of flights operated on your route by those carriers. If this is a RT, could there be an issue with needing to get a COVID-19 test in Moscow during your trip, especially before the return flight to the USA (new rules), including during IROPs? What happens to you if the test is positive and you're at SVO (or more generally in Russia) when you get the results?

There is/was an "airside" transit hotel "at" (meaning near) SVO, but it's both expensive and bleak, with guests being transported to/from the place and then being placed on special guarded floors, with all F&B from (bad and also expensive) hotel room service.
Old Feb 10, 21, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
How much do you want to worry about what happens if your connection (I am assuming that this is all on one ticket/PNR) is rescheduled, cancelled, or long delayed? Would you want to be able to easily spend a couple days exploring Moscow? This could be a big or small issue now depending on the airlines involved and the frequency of flights operated on your route by those carriers. If this is a RT, could there be an issue with needing to get a COVID-19 test in Moscow during your trip, especially before the return flight to the USA (new rules), including during IROPs? What happens to you if the test is positive and you're at SVO (or more generally in Russia) when you get the results?

There is/was an "airside" transit hotel "at" (meaning near) SVO, but it's both expensive and bleak, with guests being transported to/from the place and then being placed on special guarded floors, with all F&B from (bad and also expensive) hotel room service.
I am not anticipating any time actually spent in Moscow.
Old Feb 10, 21, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

I should be able to get a rapid PCR test prior to leaving Tashkent, which would would be valid for the current "3 day rule". But my question is going to pertain to the transit question.
Old Feb 11, 21, 5:05 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
If you can stay airside, you don't need a visa. This guide has a list of all the possibilities.
https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-en/inform...irport/transit

12. Arrival at Sheremetyevo-D (international flights), departure from Sheremetyevo-C (international flights). The minimum interval between connecting flights is 1 hour and 30 minutes.*

After exiting the boarding bridge, go to the arrivals hall. From there, follow the signs to the check-in counters for transfer passengers and register for your connecting flight (if you did not receive a boarding pass for the connecting flight at the point of departure). You should then clear passport control and preflight security, go down to the third floor (taking the stairs or lift) and proceed directly to the boarding gate. To reach your boarding gate at Terminal C, follow the signs to the underground train connecting the northern and southern sectors of the airport. The entrance to the platform of the underground train is in the gallery between Terminal D and Terminal E. Train departs every 4 minutes. It takes no more than 30 min to cover this distance at a leisurely pace.

If you travel by bus from the aeroplane to the terminal, you should ascend the escalator, proceed to the check-in counters for transfer passengers, and then follow the procedure above.

Important! If you are continuing your journey using another airline, please contact your carrier to find out when check-in for your connecting flight is due to commence.
Based on the above, it sounds like an int'l-int'l connection isn't possible, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Palal; Feb 11, 21 at 5:15 am
Old Feb 27, 21, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
If you can stay airside, you don't need a visa. This guide has a list of all the possibilities.
https://www.aeroflot.ru/ru-en/inform...irport/transit

Based on the above, it sounds like an int'l-int'l connection isn't possible, but I could be wrong.
I spoke with Aeroflot today and they confirmed a visa for less than 24 hours is not necessary. There is a sterile transfer train between D and C terminals. I am allowed for 24 hours within this zone.
Old Mar 4, 21, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If things go as planned, no issues. If they go belly up, there might be some - there's an inherent risk in transiting in a country that normally requires a visa and with no VOA. The current covid rules add a layer of more complexity - what if you get stranded AND your test paper "expires" meanwhile

PS - there was this one time when the LH flight to TAS via BAK went technical (or whatever) and pax got stranded for days in the (very bleak) transit zone at BAK, as Azerbaijan has stopped issuing VOA sometime before that.

Search this Thread