Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Accommodation for Russia tourist visa

Old Oct 8, 19, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS

Hello,

From my research, it seems like you need a registered hotel or other accommodation to give you a specific number to include in your visa application after reserving said hotel/accommodation.

I was wondering if you can get a visa then cancel the hotel reservation and reserve something else. I don't know if it'll open things up to scrutiny or if you must stay at the hotel stated in the application that gave you the number for the visa.
Old Oct 8, 19, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Based on my experience, I would assume no. The routine seems to be that you pay the hotel to have an employee who is a Russian citizen "invite" you to visit Russia so that you can get a visa and, when you arrive at the hotel, they register your passport for the exact length of your reserved stay. If you're switching hotels or cities, this can be a problem.
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:45 pm

It is possible to get a visa based upon staying at a specific hotel, but then cancel the reservation after receiving the visa. I have done this several times during visits to Russia. You still will want to have the hotel you end up staying at register you though, or else you will have trouble exiting the country. When staying privately, we have made hotel reservations to get the visa invitation letter, then cancelled the hotel reservation, and stayed with a friend who did the registration procedure through the local city office. If your stay is short enough, 48 hours, I think, not counting weekends, you don't have to register.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:11 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But it's really important to keep the registration slip if you move on to another location or hotel. They will want to see where you were previously.
Old Oct 10, 19, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you do make a res at a hotel you dont plan to keep, Make sure you read ALL the fine print, alot of hotels will charge you if you do this after they registered you, Fee varies. At least thats what I found when I was planning my trip to LED a couple of years ago

Search this Thread