Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Russia/Green Card - in my Married Last Name. Passport - in Maiden Last Name.

Old Jan 31, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone! Hope I will finally get a specific answer to my question.

I live in US and I have my Green Card in my MARRIED Last Name and my Russian Travel Passport - is in my MAIDEN Last name.

I am planning to travel to Russia. My 2 questions are:

- What last name I should use when I buy my air tickets (round trip) - married or maiden?
- Should I expect any problems while crossing the borders/returning to US?

PS I have a marriage certificate (FL state), but there is no mentioning that my last name has been changed or anything like that. There is only mentioned of my husband's full name, my full name, place, date of marriage, etc.
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
How long have you been married? If you have had time to get an updated green card, did you not update your passport?

In the US, at least one source says,
American citizens are required to travel with a passport that has their current legal name. If your name changed due to marriage then you need to apply for a passport name change before you travel.
Entering the US from Russia with a passport that isn't in your legal name - yes, I'd expect some issues.
Old Jan 31, 19, 5:43 pm

+1 to what CPRich said. If you can get your name changed in you pp, that would be most helpful. You may not need a new passport - its possible that a Russian consulate/embassy is authorized to notate a name change in the passport following marriage, if you show them proof. I know my wife (not a US citizen by birth) got her name change noted in her passport at a consulate in SFO. If Russia does not allow that, you may need a new pp.

If you don't have the time to get the change/new pp, and if you are ok with taking a reasonable risk, I'd just take the GC and your marriage certificate and a copy of the GC application where you noted both your maiden and married names and hope for the best if the agent at PP control asks. You could be still denied entry.

But your ticket should be in the name on your passport or the airline will likely throw an error.
Old Feb 1, 19, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your Responses!

I've been married for 3 years now and I am still waiting for my 10 years Perm GC. (For now I have I 757 Notice (extension). But I will get my new GC on my Married Name. To change a name in my Russian Travel Passport I need to go back to Russia, stay there for at least 3 months! to wait for my name change (proving that I got married in US, requesting a name change, waiting, waiting, waiting...., you know it is a bureaucratic over there. I don't have a 'luxury' to go to Russia and stay for 3 months waiting for my name change there....so, it is not an option for me, I already did research on this topic....unrealistic. They don't do name changes here in US for Russians, Russia requires the personal presence for these type of actions (name changes, etc.) and the wait, as I said, 3+ months at least...Thank you zeebanker and CPRich - I appreciate your replies! That is why I am hesitant to travel - as I don't want to have any issues with re-entering the US...I heard also, that the most Russian Embassy can do here (in the US) - is to put some kind of "note" in my Russian Travel Passport like "also known as ....and put my married name"...but I need to do more research on that. If you know anything else on this topic - please reply!
Old Feb 2, 19, 8:21 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Welcome to FT, anuta. I'm going to relocate your thread to the Russia forum, where you may get additional input about your issue. Best of luck!
Old Feb 3, 19, 9:48 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Hi anuta,

There is no problem at all, except that you must bring your marriage certificate with you.

Book your tickets using the name in your passport.

You will need to show your green card to the airline agents in Russia, because they need to know you are allowed to enter the US before they can let you on the flight.

As your green card is not in the same name as your passport, your marriage certificate is required to prove that the passport holder and green card holder are the same person.

Don't bother changing the name in your Russian passport, but if the Russian embassy in the US can annotate your passport with your married name, that can only help.

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
In the US, at least one source says,
American citizens are required to travel with a passport that has their current legal name. If your name changed due to marriage then you need to apply for a passport name change before you travel.
Your "source" is a fake passport application site.

From the horse's mouth:

Originally Posted by https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents

Can I travel if my name has changed due to marriage, divorce, etc., and my documents are in my old name?

US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR): LPR's who change their name due to marriage or because of any other circumstance may travel using your LPR Card (US Green Card; I551) in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.
Old Oct 29, 19, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Hi anuta,

There is no problem at all, except that you must bring your marriage certificate with you.

Book your tickets using the name in your passport.

You will need to show your green card to the airline agents in Russia, because they need to know you are allowed to enter the US before they can let you on the flight.

As your green card is not in the same name as your passport, your marriage certificate is required to prove that the passport holder and green card holder are the same person.

Don't bother changing the name in your Russian passport, but if the Russian embassy in the US can annotate your passport with your married name, that can only help.

Your "source" is a fake passport application site.

From the horse's mouth:
Thank you so much! To change a name in my Russian Passport is such a problem - I would need to fly to DC and then wait, the presence is needed and don't have enough time to travel there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: