Reload this Page >

Entering Russia from Belarus

Old May 11, 18, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT

Trying to clarify this as the embassy is sorta useless. Planning to go from MSQ to Moscow and debating if I need to fly or if I can take the train. Anyone know what the current status of this is? The last I heard all flts from MSQ have been moved to the international terminals in Russia thus now having a passport check. Seems like it's still a developing situation so curious if anyone here can chime in.
Cheers
Howie
Old May 16, 18, 1:55 am

Being a third-country national, you need to go through Russian immigration upon arrival from Belarus, and currently this is only possible if you arrive by plane. The trains are only for Russian and Belarusian nationals.
Old May 16, 18, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danefaeee View Post
Being a third-country national, you need to go through Russian immigration upon arrival from Belarus, and currently this is only possible if you arrive by plane. The trains are only for Russian and Belarusian nationals.
That's what I thought thanks! Belaviva it is!
Cheers
Howie
Old May 17, 18, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
When I flew from Minsk to Moscow last year, there was no Russian immigration check at all and we ended up on arrival in the domestic area in Moscow. This caused a major headache (much head scratching) when I left Moscow again, because the poor guy checking my passport then couldn't find an entry stamp. It took all of my very broken Russian to explain I'd come in via Minsk. I did however need both Belarus and Russian visas.
Old May 20, 18, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG, AGR
As a Belarusian national, I can confirm the situation is a bit..tricky. There's technically no physical border between the two countries - i.e. when you take the train, for example, the train doesn't stop but goes right on through as if there were no border. It's almost like travelling between states. However, when you buy the train ticket to Russia, they ask for your passport to confirm that you can in fact enter the country (or they did last time I took the train). I honestly don't recall what they did the last time I flew from Minsk to Moscow, but I don't think there's any passport checking involved. So the shorter answer is, you need both visas, but your Russian visa might not end up getting checked until you try to leave, as the poster above reported. I don't see why you couldn't take the train, though - if you have the proper visa the train station would sell you the ticket.
Old May 22, 18, 3:08 am

Just to clarify, flights from Belarus arrive in international sectors of Russian airports as of May 2017. Your visa will be checked, stamped and a migration card issued.
Old Jun 2, 18, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just got my Belarus visa here in NYC. They were shockingly efficient got it back in less than a week!
Old Jun 2, 18, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG, AGR
Originally Posted by stockmanjr View Post
Just got my Belarus visa here in NYC. They were shockingly efficient got it back in less than a week!
I imagine there isn't a lot of demand. Belarus isn't exactly the same high-profile destination that Russia is.
Old Jun 9, 18, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay View Post
I imagine there isn't a lot of demand. Belarus isn't exactly the same high-profile destination that Russia is.
Time has more to do with the bureaucratic hoops to jump through rather than demand from my experience...
Old Jun 11, 18, 4:38 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Just got a message from the Fan ID setup for the World Cup saying that it is possible for foreigners possessing a Fan ID to transit Belarus on their way to and from Russia. Don't know if this applies to road as well as rail travel.

"Dear spectators of the 2018 FIFA World Cupô!FAN ID holders entering the Russian Federation territory in the period from the 4th of June to the 15th of July and exiting the Russian Federation territory from the 4th of June to the 25th of July 2018 have the right of visa-free transit through the territory of the Republic of Belarus with FAN ID both on a laminated form and in electronic form and a valid identity document (passport) in the period from the 4th of June to the 25th of July 2018.More details on the Russian and Belarusian State borders crossing you can find on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation official website following the link:"

? ?????????? ?????????-???????????? ????????????????????? ?????????? ? ??????? ?????? ?? ??????? ?????????? ??????????? - ??????? - ???????????? ??????????? ??? ?????????? ?????????
Old Jun 13, 18, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Just got a message from the Fan ID setup for the World Cup saying that it is possible for foreigners possessing a Fan ID to transit Belarus on their way to and from Russia. Don't know if this applies to road as well as rail travel.

"Dear spectators of the 2018 FIFA World Cupô!FAN ID holders entering the Russian Federation territory in the period from the 4th of June to the 15th of July and exiting the Russian Federation territory from the 4th of June to the 25th of July 2018 have the right of visa-free transit through the territory of the Republic of Belarus with FAN ID both on a laminated form and in electronic form and a valid identity document (passport) in the period from the 4th of June to the 25th of July 2018.More details on the Russian and Belarusian State borders crossing you can find on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation official website following the link:"

? ?????????? ?????????-???????????? ????????????????????? ?????????? ? ??????? ?????? ?? ??????? ?????????? ??????????? - ??????? - ???????????? ??????????? ??? ?????????? ?????????
Got that after I sent in my passport for the Belarus visa......
Old Dec 14, 18, 6:42 am

Programs: M&M/LH, BAEC/IB, DL, SU, FlyingBlue, AY, AS
Belarus still considers BY<->RU flights as domestic, while in Russia they are international (at least for non-RU/BY passport holders)?
Old Dec 26, 18, 7:18 am

We drove from Minsk to Saint Petersburg and back, no one even stopped the car to check the passports. Not sure about what the train situation, but I'm pretty sure it's similar as in no one cares.
Old Apr 22, 19, 12:17 pm

Programs: M&M/LH, BAEC/IB, DL, SU, FlyingBlue, AY, AS
Originally Posted by JayLeeKey View Post
We drove from Minsk to Saint Petersburg and back, no one even stopped the car to check the passports. Not sure about what the train situation, but I'm pretty sure it's similar as in no one cares.
Data (incl. citizenship) of train passengers (with personal tickers) is trasmitted to relevant authorities of both countries (Ministry of Internal Affairs and Border Service of Federal Security Service in Russia) beforehand in a very strict way, so it is not the same case. Currently only Russia is worried about foreigners' entry via Belarus border, sometimes people are checked at Smolensk railway station as list of foreign passengers is known before arrival.
Old May 23, 19, 6:51 am

I've past BEL>RUS border and i didn't get any troubles. Thy will give you migrations paper (where do you go? For how long? etc) And that all.

Search this Thread