Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Entering Russia from Belarus

Entering Russia from Belarus

Old Nov 7, 19, 2:46 am

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Originally Posted by VitaliU View Post
All true. However, since you you did not go through passport control when leaving Belarus, you are now listed in their database as someone who entered the country and never left. This may lead to problems next time you try to cross a Belarusian or Russian border. The two countries are not able to synch their visa policies but they do share the database of people who are banned from entering either one of them. If you never plan to go back, it is not a problem of course.
I doubt it will be the case (I plan to visit BY once a year or so, amazing country), but, just in case, I'll keep my boarding pass. I wasn't given an option to go through migrations. And also, remember in BY they even print a migration card. I had to fill it on my VERY awful handwriting. I doubt they understood what I had written...
Old Nov 7, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by eielef View Post
I doubt it will be the case (I plan to visit BY once a year or so, amazing country), but, just in case, I'll keep my boarding pass. I wasn't given an option to go through migrations. And also, remember in BY they even print a migration card. I had to fill it on my VERY awful handwriting. I doubt they understood what I had written...
Good luck with that. The rules for the 30-day visa free travel specifically state that it only works if you do not arrive directly from or depart directly to Russia. You broke those rules and next time you arrive in Belarus you will most likely be deported and/or fined. Itís also likely you will be denied entry in Russia if you land there.
I have a dual US-Belarusian citizenship and my better half is American, so I have to stay up to date on all rules regarding traveling to Belarus.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:03 am

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Originally Posted by VitaliU View Post
Good luck with that. The rules for the 30-day visa free travel specifically state that it only works if you do not arrive directly from or depart directly to Russia. You broke those rules and next time you arrive in Belarus you will most likely be deported and/or fined. Itís also likely you will be denied entry in Russia if you land there.
I have a dual US-Belarusian citizenship and my better half is American, so I have to stay up to date on all rules regarding traveling to Belarus.
My passport allows me a 90 days visit, the same as with Russia, without any need of a visa. 90 days every 180. I'm a fluent Russian speaker. I will not have any problem, as I've done nothing illegal.
As someone earlier said, the only "legal" way to go from Belarus to Russia is by plane. And that is what I did.
Old Nov 8, 19, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by eielef View Post
My passport allows me a 90 days visit, the same as with Russia, without any need of a visa. 90 days every 180. I'm a fluent Russian speaker. I will not have any problem, as I've done nothing illegal.
As someone earlier said, the only "legal" way to go from Belarus to Russia is by plane. And that is what I did.
well, then you should not confuse those here, who do not have your passport, and enter the country under the 30-day visa waiver rule. what works for you does not necessarily work for others. I cannot comment on whether YOU broke any rules or not without knowing what passport your traveled on.
Old Nov 13, 19, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA; AA; DL; SW; SPG; Marriott
Thank you everyone for your experiences, perspectives, and link to official documents. I apologize for the delayed reply, but I have been traveling and Flyertalk was blocked in a couple locations. Based on all input and because my proposed travel is short, I am deciding to be conservative and fly to MSQ and then transit RIX before entering DME... it seems that there are certain CIS-state VS external country rules and, while my original plan may have worked (train WAW to Brest and then purchasing a separate ticket onward to Moscow), I will not risk any future consequences now when my travel time is limited and I'm not intending to apply for a transit visa. Thanks again for all the insight and in the future I hope to travel overland and contribute to the on-the-ground reality. Cheers, Robert
Old Nov 13, 19, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Marquis790 View Post
Thank you everyone for your experiences, perspectives, and link to official documents. I apologize for the delayed reply, but I have been traveling and Flyertalk was blocked in a couple locations. Based on all input and because my proposed travel is short, I am deciding to be conservative and fly to MSQ and then transit RIX before entering DME... it seems that there are certain CIS-state VS external country rules and, while my original plan may have worked (train WAW to Brest and then purchasing a separate ticket onward to Moscow), I will not risk any future consequences now when my travel time is limited and I'm not intending to apply for a transit visa. Thanks again for all the insight and in the future I hope to travel overland and contribute to the on-the-ground reality. Cheers, Robert
Have a great trip

Search this Thread