Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Russia with Russian internal passport

Old May 10, 18, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More

The concerned person, a dual Swedish-Russian citizen, intends to fly PRN-PUD-LED with Wizz.

Regarding their Russian citizenship, the only document they have is a domestic passport.

Per TIMATIC, this document is valid for entering Russia:

Passport Exemptions: Nationals of the Russian Fed. with a domestic passport (written only in Russian)

but with the following note:

Warning: For nationals of the Russian Fed. with a domestic passport (written only in Russian), carrier must send prior notification to the port of entry and obtain approval from Russian border Police.

My question is: how is this done, and by whom?

Is it something the passenger should E-Mail Wizz about after making the reservation, or will the ground staff (if so, at PRN or BUD?) send some sort of message to the Russians (such as via SITA Telex)?

Thanks for any clarification
Old May 11, 18, 4:04 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
I would check with Wizz to make sure they're ok with letting them board BUD-LED.
Old May 11, 18, 5:35 am

Programs: RJ Emerald
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
I would check with Wizz to make sure they're ok with letting them board BUD-LED.
check in advance... like seriously in advance. The biggest issue will be with allowing your friend to board. When he gets to Russia, he will probably get a small fine/admin charge, but they will have to let him in.

Also, does the pax have an expired [international Russian] passport with them?

The safest and easiest option is to buy a cheap ticket from LED to a third country (anywhere except Kosovo and Hungary) and tell Wizzair you are connecting in LED (get a flight departing 3-4 hours after Wizzair arrival).

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; May 11, 18 at 5:46 am
Old May 11, 18, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Are you sure I should contact WIZZ, and not Malév Ground Handling? The latter is the Company checking you at Boarding.

Anyways, since all check-in companies go by TIMATIC, boarding is not supposed to be a problem - except specifically that it's unclear whether it's the airline or the check-in company that has to notify the responsible station in Russia (yes, it says "the carrier", but since most people assume check-in staff are airline representatives, which they usually aren't, it's still not clear to me)

Last edited by Crazydre; May 11, 18 at 10:55 am
Old May 11, 18, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
I don't think it will matter as long as WizzAir lets the person on board. On arrival the passenger will get a chat with the border police and a fine, a notification (or lack of) can't change any of it.
Old May 11, 18, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the person enters with a Russian domestic passport, there probably will be no protection from any foreign consulate. Moreover, as a Russian citizen, would he then need permission to leave Russia, in the form of either a Russian international passport (which could take lots and lots of time to acquire) and/or some sort of exit permit?

I'd urge the person to consult with a knowledgeable immigration lawyer before thinking of making such a trip unless it's a one way ticket and he would be OK with being unable to leave Russia for a very long time.

IMO being able to board the flight is the minor issue here.
Old May 11, 18, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Temedar View Post
I don't think it will matter as long as WizzAir lets the person on board.
I'm telling you, Wizz doesn't decide anything, because there is no Wizz staff at BUD. Instead it's Malev ground handling staff that decides whether you get onboard or not.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Moreover, as a Russian citizen, would he then need permission to leave Russia, in the form of either a Russian international passport (which could take lots and lots of time to acquire) and/or some sort of exit Permit?
She'll exit via Belarus, flying from Minsk to Georgia. Belarus accepts the internal passport for exit to anywhere, unlike Russia which only accepts it for exit to Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia, Akhazia and South Ossetia. For Georgia, she'll use her Swedish national ID card
Old May 16, 18, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Crazydre View Post
I'm telling you, Wizz doesn't decide anything, because there is no Wizz staff at BUD. Instead it's Malev ground handling staff that decides whether you get onboard or not.

She'll exit via Belarus, flying from Minsk to Georgia. Belarus accepts the internal passport for exit to anywhere, unlike Russia which only accepts it for exit to Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia, Akhazia and South Ossetia. For Georgia, she'll use her Swedish national ID card
that's the kind of creative thinking that sometimes leads to rather spectacular failures... eg remember that time you had to rescue me from holding cell of minsk airport? oh ya i think it cost us $5k in fines and bribes - what were we thinking...
Old May 21, 18, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Crazydre View Post
The Swedish national ID is only valid within the EU. For Georgia, she will need a proper passport.
Old May 21, 18, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedChili View Post
The Swedish national ID is only valid within the EU. For Georgia, she will need a proper passport.
Only according to Swedish law (specifically the passlag), which, in practice, only means our police won't let you fly directly from Sweden to a country outside the EU/EFTA.

However, it's accepted by all countries in Europe except Russia, Belarus and the Ukraine, as well as Georgia, Faroe Islands+Greenland, French overseas territories and on package tours to Tunisia.

I travel a fair deal to Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia and Georgia, and never even bring my passport - bara onödigt as we'd say (and I live in Switzerland, so clearing outbound border control is a non-issue)

But I digress...

Last edited by Crazydre; May 21, 18 at 11:49 pm
Old May 26, 18, 11:20 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by RedChili View Post
Many EU national IDs are valid travel documents to several non-EU/EEA/Schengen countries (the list might be different from country to country) - Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Macedonia, Albania, Georgia accept at least some EU-countries' IDs to enter and exit.

Search this Thread