FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Russia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia-485/)
-   -   Where are the best places to buy souvenirs in Moscow? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/russia/1907558-where-best-places-buy-souvenirs-moscow.html)

AVAna May 4, 2018 3:51 am

Where are the best places to buy souvenirs in Moscow?

Hello! My sister and I are going to Moscow. We have already chosen the places that we would like to visit. I'm wondering where is the best place to buy souvenirs? What souvenirs can you bring from Russia to your friends?

DrRodneyMcKay May 4, 2018 7:26 am

Arbat St.- it's a pedestrian-only street with lots of historical buildings and plenty of touristy souvenir shops, if that's the kind of thing you're going for. It can also be a kick to see familiar chains like Starbucks transliterated into Russian. Note that there's also a street called "Novy Arbat" ("new arbat") that does allow traffic and has quite a few lanes; that's not the one you want. You want the one that runs kind of diagonally from it and that's only for pedestrians. If you get off at metro "arbatskaya" and walk southwest, you'll be in the perfect place to walk the entire thing.

As for what souvenirs you can bring - do you want the silly but cute touristy souvenirs, or something more unique? The shops on Arbat will have all sorts of things, from Russian nesting dolls to keychains to all sorts of Soviet paraphernalia with hammers and sickles, which I've always found entertaining. Some shops may also sell fur products, as Russian laws about that are more lax, so be aware of the laws and customs for when you fly back home. Arbat st. also has lots of great street artists; I've loved buying souvenirs from them. There's a guy that does gorgeous art with spray paint in front of your eyes, for example.

Ellaa May 7, 2018 12:20 am

There are so many interesting things in Moscow! I have only wonderful memories of our trip! There are many beautiful souvenirs you can bring back. We bought ours on the market- they were very cheap. You can find out more about souvenirs here https://www.moscovery.com/shopping-savings/. The site provides a lot of helpful information.

AVAna May 7, 2018 5:37 am

Thank you! What did you get there?

Ellaa May 7, 2018 6:35 am

Originally Posted by AVAna (Post 29724488)
Thank you! What did you get there?

We bought porcelain dishes with authentic paintings and beautiful jewelry boxes.

Daniel_Danil May 7, 2018 8:16 am

We also bought souvenirs at the market. There are a lot of choices and prices are much lower than at the stores. You can also bargain!

Daniel_Danil May 7, 2018 11:36 pm

We went to the market on our first day. I regret we couldn't get there again. They have really great prices.

Lussy May 8, 2018 7:59 am

A friend from Moscow brought wooden hand-painted Christmas decorations. I have never

Alise May 8, 2018 11:44 pm

I went to the market and bought beautiful dolls in the national costumes. I got these for my friends. I bought a necklace and earrings for myself.

Daniel_Danil May 9, 2018 12:46 am

You can find unique boxes with national Khokhloma painting in most of the stores.

Ellaa May 9, 2018 2:59 am

AVAna, you can't pay with your credit card on the market. They don't have terminals there. You need to have some cash with you.

AVAna May 9, 2018 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Ellaa (Post 29732940)
AVAna, you can't pay with your credit card on the market. They don't have terminals there. You need to have some cash with you.

Are there going to be any problems with using a credit card in Moscow stores?

Ellaa May 9, 2018 3:47 am

Most of the times you can pay everywhere with your credit card. The money will be immediately converted into rubles. You might have to pay with cash only in the small shops, in the market, or in fast-food places.

AVAna May 9, 2018 4:00 am

What will be the commission for currency exchange?

Ellaa May 9, 2018 4:13 am

Originally Posted by AVAna (Post 29733088)
What will be the commission for currency exchange?

The commission depends on the bank.