Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Russian Far East nature tours?

Old Nov 4, 17, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Anyone done a nature/tiger tour in the Russian Far East (Sikhote-Alin mountain rage, Amur River valley, etc.) they'd recommend?

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 17, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving post to the FT Russia Forum
Please follow there
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:22 pm

Here are some words of caution. I have travelled overnight on a Egyptian train from Cairo to Aswan and then spent 6 nights on the Palace on Wheels in India. We had planned to do the trans siberian and fater spending 6 nights with little sleep I decided against it. It is very difficult to sleep on the train in "luxury" with a twin bed. My husband who sleeps through smoke alarms had difficulty.

We are going to Russia at the end of April 2012 and will take the fast train from St. Petersburg to Moscow and then the overnight train from Moscow to Perm and then fly from Perm to Frankfurt. There is a Lufthansa flight on odd days.

It will be extremely hot and crowded with tourist that's why I opt not to travel during that time. I wanted to go to Mongolia but will opt to travel there from Beijing. There is a China Air flight for approximately USD200.

To purchase tickets we used Transsibirskaya.com I have driven my contact crazy as first we were going from St Petersburg to Ullan Baatar. And then my fears of being on the train for three days straight freaked me out. So we truncated the trip as noted above.

Also be aware that you will need a Russian Visa as well as a Chinese Visa. Not difficult but pricey. For the Russian Visa you will need an invitation that the travel company can provide. I only used the travel company for sightseeing, transfers and train tickets. I booked my own hotels on line.

Search this Thread