Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow and St. Petersburg

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Moscow and St. Petersburg

Planning on going to Moscow and St. Petersburg in late September/early October 2017.
Looking for 2 things: any recommendation for a local guide in each city and also recommendations for hotels close to major sites. Don't mind a little walking, however a good local guide may take care of that.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure about guides but for hotel advice we prob need some thoughts on your budget or point use, preferred chains if any and goals. In general anything cental on the map will work and proximity to metro will help to get around to various sites.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Miles & More, Aadvantage
Depends on your budget, at what price range are you looking for (for hotel)?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:50 am

Yes, as has been said above, it really depends on your budget.

In general though, in Moscow you'd probably want to be as close to Red Square as possible, and in SPB you probably want to be as close to Nevsky as possible on the Hermitage end.

Don't forget though that some sites are spread across the city. Indeed, in SPB the Catherine Palace and Peterhof aren't really in the city at all.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. Don't really have a budget. It's our 40th wedding anniversary trip so ... no budget. I was in Moscow many (25 years ago) but, don't remember much about hotel locations. I do wish to stay near Red Square for convenience. St. Petersburg - I have no clue.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Miles & More, Aadvantage
Originally Posted by rahanman
Thank you for the responses. Don't really have a budget. It's our 40th wedding anniversary trip so ... no budget. I was in Moscow many (25 years ago) but, don't remember much about hotel locations. I do wish to stay near Red Square for convenience. St. Petersburg - I have no clue.

Thanks for your help.
In this case in Moscow, I'll recommend either "Hotel Metropol" or "Golden Ring Hotel". They are both 5-stars and in my opinion more unique than chain hotels like Radisson or Sheraton. On Booking.com these two hotels have discounted price at the time of your trip at the end of September.

Metropol is located by the Red Square, the Golden Ring is nearby Arbat street (another popular place among tourists).

In St. Petersburg I recommend you to take a look at Hotel Domina. It's located close to St. Isaac's Cathedral and a little bit of a walk (like 15-20minute) to the Palace Square/Hermitage. But I think it is the best option because hotels right by the Palace Square aren't that great.

Hope it helps,
Daniil.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I usually stay near the Aeroexpress station for the direct train access. For DME airport, that's Paveletsky station area. The Courtyard by Marriott Paveletsky is ideal, a short walk from where the train gets in.
from there, it's two metro stops to Red Square, or an easy taxi ride.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandolino
I usually stay near the Aeroexpress station for the direct train access. For DME airport, that's Paveletsky station area. The Courtyard by Marriott Paveletsky is ideal, a short walk from where the train gets in.
from there, it's two metro stops to Red Square, or an easy taxi ride.
While i can see this as a useful option for those on business or return visitors on quick trips i would recommend hotels closer to center to tourists who want to see the sights... Current RUR exchange rate makes high end hotels rather affordable - I'd look at Hyatt, StRegis, Metropol as options close to Red Square (4S is still bloody expensive).

On the value end my favorite is holiday inn sokolniki which is a bit away from center but it has a wonderful city park next door, metro access right in front, a decent swimming pool and 24 hr supermarket for snacks as well as several fast food places.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, FlyingBlue Platinum
i like the hilton leningradskaya, for the building. near leningradsky station - 4 stops from red sq. service is good - book a junior suite for spectacular views over moscow. price is midrange. quite happy with concierge too - stayed ther 20+ times
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:58 pm

I just came back from Moscow and would highly recommend StandArt Hotel there. It is my "go to" place in Moscow from now on: excellent central location, (3) Metro stations near-by, very new hotel, packed with interesting art, great service, and amazingly affordable prices. Check the reviews and photos either on Trip Advisor or on their own hotel site.
In St.Pete, I like the "W" downtown. Again, perfect location and very hip.
Enjoy the trip!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:26 am
Suspended

Good accomodation you can book on booking.com or airbnb, cause it will be cheaper that a hotel. Each museum has audioguide, so there will be no problem. Good guide you can find on tripster, and I personally can recommend good clubs for nightlife LUXbar, Zavistbar with its show and maybe 7sky. There are a lot of clubs, bars and restaurants, but that is quite good, you won't want to return to the hotel
So, good luck with your travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.